Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 01-25-2006, 09:57 AM
RedyreRottweilers

Your puppies are still very small, but you can still teach the hold.

1) Do not give the puppy a choice, or a chance to turn his head away. Open the mouth, put the dowel in, SMILE!!!!, rub, praise, help him hold it for a count of THREE, then remove it with a flourish, praise and treat.

2) you probably need a MUCH smaller dowel for puppies the age of yours. Something about the size of your finger.

3) smear the dowel with Cheez Whiz or Peanut butter, and while you are teaching ithe hold, encourage the pup to also play retrieve and chase the dowel.

4) take one of their favorite toys, tie a string to it, and drag it along and encourage them to chase it. Praise praise praise if they pick it up.

5) remember these are PUPPIES, so keep it fun, but firm, upbeat, keep smiling and stay happy when you are training.

6) Train in VERY short sessions. No more than 5 minutes for the "hold it" lesson, and end with something light and fun.

7) Encourage tugging games. If the pup will chase an object, encourage this, and encourage him to come back so you can play the tug game. This one thing has really helped me to firm up the play retrieve and helps the dog enjoy the game.

8) NEVER EVER REACH FOR WHAT THE PUPPY HAS PICKED UP. NEVER EVER. This will teach the puppy that you are only out to spoil his game. Play trade for treats, play tug, play trade for another toy, or use upward collar pressure to help the puppy drop his prize. NO REACHING OUT for it whatsoever.

Old 01-25-2006, 11:05 AM
Puppy Dog

That was awesome advice Red!! Thanks as always. I will adjust my method and try again tonight! I guess maybe I need something smaller for them to 'hold' as well. I really liked the idea of tying a string to their toy!! Wish me luck and I'll keep everyone posted