Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 01-10-2006, 07:35 AM
Puppy Dog

Arrow Need help with fetch command

Hello all, I'll be starting my boys on the fetch command soon and wanted to know how you guys do this. When they go get the object you've tossed and they bring it back, how do you get the dog to drop it? I had one dog in the past that wouldn't drop the object and when I tried to get it he thought I was playing and it turned into a tug of war game for him. Not sure how to proceed......
Old 01-10-2006, 08:29 AM
Puppy Dog

Hi

I am no expert as I am only just teaching my GSP to fetch.

So when the dog brings the toy, I say drop and she'll drop it --> To do this, I had a treat in my hand. When she see the treat, and drops the ball I say drop. In the end she learned the word drop.

Not sure if that's the correct way.

I have issues with the dog bringing me items which I will post later in another thread.

James
Old 01-10-2006, 09:11 AM
Top Dog

Definitely teach 'drop it'. On a side note, I've never got my golden to drop the thing either, I just go the other way and usually he drops it then.
Old 01-10-2006, 09:13 AM
Are You Blowing Me Off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayna 3
Hello all, I'll be starting my boys on the fetch command soon and wanted to know how you guys do this. When they go get the object you've tossed and they bring it back, how do you get the dog to drop it? I had one dog in the past that wouldn't drop the object and when I tried to get it he thought I was playing and it turned into a tug of war game for him. Not sure how to proceed......
Pick a "release" command... I say "out" with my labs. When the dog returns the object to you, (My dogs sit and then release) say "the word" and don't pull on the object, instead push the object gently towards the back of the dogs mouth, the dog should try to open his mouth and then you can take the object out. Of course always praise after the release. (You might need to put one hand gently on the back of his head to keep him from backing away.)

My dogs have learned the "out" command and are very reliable, of course they do retrieve ducks and geese, so it is a very neccesary command, although I very rarely have to even say it anymore.

Best of luck.
Old 01-10-2006, 09:33 AM
<------

When the dog comes back with the toy or object just offer a treat for dropping it or giving it to you, you can attach whatever command you want to it.
Old 01-10-2006, 09:49 AM
Puppy Dog

Ok, thanks. Those were some great ideas I will definitely give them a try. I wanted to be prepared before I started this command. I'll be starting it soon and I'll keep y'all posted. Thanks again for the help!
Old 01-10-2006, 11:05 AM
RedyreRottweilers

I love a play retrieve, it's a lot of fun to play with the dogs that way, but I start all over when I begin to teach a formal retreive for the ring.

The first thing I do is teach the dog to hold the dumb bell, or sometimes I use a piece of doweling.

I want the dog to learn to hold the object firmly, right behind the canines, without rolling or mouthing it.

The first step is open the dog's mouth manually, insert the object where it needs to be held as I say, in a sweet praise tone of voice, TAKE IT!, and hold the dogs mouth shut gently, as I say HOLD IT in the same praise tone. Count 3, and release the dog's mouth, remove the object, as I say "GIVE", or OUT.

I try to work this exercise 21 times per day. 7 times in the morning, 7 times mid day, and 7 times in the evening. All the time keeping it positive, brisk, up beat, with lots of praise and rewards. I want the dog to be EXCITED about the object and this training, so I work hard to keep it light and fun.

At the end of the first week, most dogs are beginning to reach for the object as I bring it towards the mouth, and are holding without any assistance, and releasing well.

Next I work for the dog to move TOWARDS the object to take it. All behaviors that are close to anything moving towards the object are praised and rewarded. By the end of the second week, the dog should be jumping towards the object and happily taking it to hold it.

When the dog gets to this point, I introduce some heeling while carrying the object. The dog gets one "strike", in other words, one "free" dropping of the object. I indicate slight verbal displeasure when this happens, and replace the object. If the dog drops it again, he gets an ear pinch until the object is back in his mouth. I do not introduce this mild version of a forced hold until the dog has made it very clear to me that he understands he is to hold the object.

MOst dogs will get one or 2 mild ear pinches, and they understand that they MUST hold the object.

ONce the dog will JUMP towards the object, hold it happily and reliably, and heel without dropping it, we move on to picking the object up from the floor.

This is done ON LEASH. Up until this point I have been holding the object at or above eye level for the dog to jump up to get it. Now I gradually begin lowering the object until I am holding it on the floor for the dog to pick up. This is a BIG STEP for most dogs in learning the retrieve process. You must not rush it. First move your hand slightly away from the object, and then further, all the while encouraging the dog. ONce the dog will grab from the floor, you just add distance.

Old 01-10-2006, 11:16 AM
Puppy Dog

Man, you guys are on the ball. I would never have thought of some of these things! Thanks for sharing your ideas With all this new information I can't wait to start the new command. Wish me luck!
Old 01-25-2006, 07:50 AM
Puppy Dog

Hey guys, I've now started my boys on the fetch/retrieve command. I've been trying Red's method by first teaching the dog to hold an item. I had a small broom handle that I cut into slightly smaller pieces so it would fit the dogs mouth a bit better -- they each way 9 1/2 lbs now . Anyway, I've only been working on this for 1 day, but I already see that the pup doesn't want to hold it and keeps trying to chew it.

Here's what I do:

I get him in a sit - give treat

I take the handle up to the dogs mouth and say 'hold' -- at this point he sniffs for a second and then turns his head away.

I open the dogs mouth while saying hold and try to keep the handle in there for 3 seconds -- lot's of praise while saying hold repeatedly -- he keeps trying to chew on it though.

Then I say 'drop' and let him drop it -- lot's of praise and then a treat.

I repeat this 5-7 times and they are on leash the whole time.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.
Old 01-25-2006, 08:03 AM
Puppy Dog

I meant to add that I also have to hold on to the pup on the floor as he wants to squirm and get up the whole time. It was the only way I could think of to keep him still. That may not matter, but thought I should mention it. Thanks again.