Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 10-11-2012, 05:50 PM
Top Dog

Chihuahua for Gavroche (boxer).

Probably Great Dane for Logan (smooth collie).

I was at Woofstock last weekend and was told by the lady at the local dog training club booth "There aren't just purebreds in the club, there are a lot of mixes, so you would feel at home with your dog." Um, WAT? Sorry, Logan IS purebred. And being head of a dog-related club, you really ought to know that - or at least not ASSUME my pure-bred, well-bred, AKC and UKC pointed collie is a mix.

Gavroche usually gets called a pitbull and Logan usually gets called a GSD. If they ASK, I'll educate them. If the just walk by and tell whoever they're with what breed my dog is, I just laugh to myself and call them stupid in my head at this point If they're standing RIGHT NEXT TO ME when they do this, I say "Nope, he's a collie" or "Nope, he's a boxer" and walk away.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:21 PM
Kaleidoscopic Eye

PDub, your wish is my command.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyfalcon View Post
I wouldn't even bother with the Staffy vs Pit. Its like someone calling Ruby a retriever. Close enough! thanks for not asking if she is part kangaroo (she is though).
I kind of agree. On one hand, it's important to try to educate that not every bulldog is a "pit bull," but on the other hand, they are very closely related, and APBTs differ so much in appearance, I would actually be shocked if someone random could tell the difference between staffies and APBTs. I only can because I've made it a point to examine the differences, and even then I'm sometimes wrong. Then you get into the part that APBTs can be dual registered and it gets even murkier.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:34 PM
Top Dog

Chihuahua/husky for Zuma. No joke.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:36 PM
Top Dog

I get a lot of guesses but the strangest ones were when somebody was looking at Ripley and Keira side by side, knew that Keira was a Doberman, but thought Ripley was a chocolate Lab. And Dance has had "red nosed Pit Bull" a few times now. Somebody recently also thought she was a Papillon, haha.

Other than that, other guesses are fairly typical of what one would expect. :-)

Ripley
Keira (Very much missed 2007-2014)
Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN
Old 10-11-2012, 07:06 PM
Ball Thrower

People are always guessing Chase is a german short-haired pointer. I can see it, kind of due to the color, but he's a merle not a roan, and he's way too small and fluffy.

Old 10-11-2012, 07:12 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenne View Post
People are always guessing Chase is a german short-haired pointer. I can see it, kind of due to the color, but he's a merle not a roan, and he's way too small and fluffy.

Holy crap! I don't think I've ever seen a picture of your dog outside of your avatar. Holy adorableness batman!

This may be a dumb question, but what is he?

He looks very Aussie in your avatar but the whole body makes him look almost sport breedish?

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:35 PM
Show Dog

Pretty!!! - Merle Cocker?

And how does someone confuse a ferret with a dog? Or a Collie with a German Shepherd?

The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too." - Samuel Butler
Old 10-11-2012, 07:45 PM
such sights to show you

I don't think I've ever gotten any really ridiculous guesses. I get a lot of "what.... IS that?" way more than actual guesses.

Squash is the one people usually guess at... usually pit, American bulldog, or Dogo. None of which are totally outrageous, I guess, although he's a bit tall for a pit mix.

Old 10-11-2012, 07:52 PM
Ruddy Buttinski

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephyMei1112 View Post
artic toller
In it's winter coat LOL.

Sienna is a fox, according to most children. The other day someone guessed Toller/Pom mix. I guess I can kinda see that, but she's not really the same color or build as a Toller.

The people calling Corgis, Yorkies - they HAVE to be just mispronouncing it, no??

My current project, becoming a nonprofit: Lost Pets of Southern California
Sienna's new blog: Reasons My Dog is Sulking
Old 10-11-2012, 09:10 PM
Ball Thrower

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWCorgi View Post
Holy crap! I don't think I've ever seen a picture of your dog outside of your avatar. Holy adorableness batman!

This may be a dumb question, but what is he?

He looks very Aussie in your avatar but the whole body makes him look almost sport breedish?
He's a cocker spaniel (dad)/springer spaniel (mom) mix. Here are two threads with his pics. I have some more recent ones, but I've been too lazy to post.

http://www.chazhound.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169912

http://www.chazhound.com/forums/showthread.php?t=174347

My photobucket is here: http://s1056.photobucket.com/albums/t378/ChasingLoki/