Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 10-10-2012, 12:50 PM
Top Dog

Default Where do you donate/volunteer?

What organizations/charities/etc do you donate to or volunteer at(through out the year, not just Christmas)?

I would love to get more involved in some kind of organization to volunteer at, but I am not really sure what kind of thing I can get involved in when I have 3 little kids at home (that includes my nephew I babysit weekdays). Plus my husband's job being that he travels daily and I never really know when he is going to be home until he lets me know he is on his way home.

I will definitely be filling some shoe boxes for Operation Christmas Child and I plan to do the Angel Tree again. But I really want to be involved in more through out the year, not just in the fall when the holidays are coming up.

Old 10-10-2012, 12:56 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Ferret Rescue throughout the year. I help out when my dad does his Elmer the Safety Elephant stuff (I'm his person making sure kids don't pull down his pants or anything). I volunteer at work as well, help run the bingo and do events when I can -- I just happen to have a job there too now.

Help with dog rescues as I can, but the ferret rescue is basically what runs my life at the moment xD

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 10-10-2012, 12:57 PM
Top Dog

I am in a Kiwanis group, a rather large one. Thru that we do Golf events, a car show, boys and girls club activities, roadside cleanups every month or two, go to various community shelters and prepare and serve meals, we do a few times a year a habitat for humanity project (help, not do the whole thing). There are also some community projects we help with, the Community Clothes closet- we gather clothes and do a new drive to get kids a new outfit and school supplies at the beginning of the school year. Jacket drives, last year we built a playground at a community homeless shelter. We do a lot thru goodwill and the YMCA as well.

Then my wife is in Rotary, so we do a lot thru them as well.

I like Kiwanis, we have a diverse group of 20 somethings to 80 somethings and we get to do a lot of different things. then you don't have to make contacts with all these places to volunteer, the club already has, you just have to show up and volunteer.
Old 10-10-2012, 01:04 PM
Chihuahua Power!

We do a lot with Junior Achievement- it's an organization that teaches children about money management and how businesses are run. We raise money throughout the year as well.

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 10-10-2012, 01:07 PM
Top Dog

Well I am vice president of The Connor Cares Foundation (www.connorcares.org). We started it after my brother passed away in 2006 due to drowning. So drowning/water safety awareness is my #1 passion in life! However I also occasionally volunteer my time at a local animal rescue and also like to donate money to dog-related charities when I can.

Brit & Jackson

Old 10-10-2012, 01:09 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

We always help out when our church does any community outreach event. We had an easter egg hunt back in April and we had SO many families come out and join us and it was so awesome. The kids had a lot of fun and a lot of them were from low income families and I know a few parents said that this was the only easter egg hunt they were able to have.

I donate a lot of stuff throughout the year for "Saving families". It's an online group that sponsors kids for their birthdays, Christmas, or just emergency needs. They post up the kids and their needs and you pick a child (or two or three or however many) that you want to sponsor and you provide them with things they need or just the birthday supplies that they wouldn't get otherwise because their families are struggling financially. for birthdays you send a cake mix, frosting, some decorations, candles and gifts for example. Last Christmas I sponsored a 13 year old girl that no one else wanted to sponsor. Everyone wanted to sponsor the little kids and this girls younger sister was sponsored but no one wanted to sponsor the 13 year old so I picked her and went all out on gifts for her for Christmas. From clothing to hair accessories to light makeup items and all kinds of stuff. She was SO grateful. EAster, too.

I also donate things for Holiday Hope. A local organization that helps provide a Christmas for families (parents too not just kids). They fundraise and plan all year round for this. When they have events I try to volunteer to help out where I can, donate my handmade jewelry items for raffles/auctions and pay to rent a vendor space at their fundraising craft shows and such.

As Hannah gets older and older I try to find more ways to get involved because she has a REALLY big heart for helping others We would like to eventually start putting in time at the mission downtown and helping a local womans shelter that does some really incredible work.

then we also donate money to a variety of causes. I also try to donate old clothes and toys to families in need

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 10-10-2012, 01:36 PM
Top Dog

I volunteer at a local pit bull rescue.

If you're interested in helping out with an animal rescue but don't think you can with the kids, lots and lots of shelters and rescues need people to do work on the computer at home. it's a huge help even just posting the pets on craigslist, making petfinders, etc.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 10-10-2012, 01:49 PM
Top Dog

I use to do angel tree until I got fired from it.

I help with church pantry s a lot. I'm not even member a the church for some.

I did use to help with a local cat rescue *yeah I know it's crazy especially after knowing my feelings about them as pets XD*. But when I started having allergy issues I had to quit because I couldn't be around them long enough to really be helping.

Old 10-10-2012, 01:59 PM
Glutton for Crazy

http://www.littlefriendsfoundation.org/

&

A variety of special needs human organizations.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:13 PM
Blackout

Tzu Chi, MSF, Red Cross, and VFTAS (Vancouver Film and Television Artists Society).
All except when we happen to meet.

Stories, Poetry, and Musings
http://inugami1112.wordpress.com/

"And it's all been lost before, so there's nothing to lose..."

"There are those that love dogs insanely and those that don't. But once you like a dog, you're sunk. You're a dog person for life."

UKC Kuvasz Standard
AKC Kuvasz Standard