Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-09-2012, 05:30 PM
Squishy face

Default Why Shelter Killing has Nothing to do With Overpopulation

Excellent blog posting about the no-kill movement. I urge you also to read the comments under the post, there is a good discussion there.

http://www.doggedblog.com/doggedblog...opulation.html

"Give thanks to God for being dog. He gave us the joy of angels." - Trixie Koontz, Dog, Trixie Treats & Holiday Wisdom - Christmas is Good!
Old 10-09-2012, 05:46 PM
Behavior Nerd

Some very good points, but it still doesn't apply in all communities. There ARE communities who are "doing everything right" with the budget they have and there is STILL a surplus of animals. I've seen it with my own eyes.

Old 10-09-2012, 05:51 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardogs View Post
Some very good points, but it still doesn't apply in all communities. There ARE communities who are "doing everything right" with the budget they have and there is STILL a surplus of animals. I've seen it with my own eyes.
Agreed. The south is a good example of that, particularly in the Memphis area and a 3 hour radius in all directions. They even ship many of those dogs to the East coast and northern states, and there's still a shitload more coming in.

ETA: And on the other hand, there's few to zero adoption events here, and the dog population is actually sub-par what I'm used to. Even with petshops selling dogs and BYB'ers. We've been looking for a pup for months, and there's just NONE around.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:52 PM
Top Dog

Ok that's a silly argument IMO. How many of us would go to the shelter right now if we had no pets? I'm guessing a few. But we have enough pets and can't get more. And I doubt we are alone.

There's definitely some pet overpopulation. If people want a pet, they'll get one, whether it's at this shelter or not, so what a specific shelter does really is irrelevant in the grand scheme of things...
Old 10-09-2012, 05:59 PM
Squishy face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyzelle View Post
Agreed. The south is a good example of that, particularly in the Memphis area and a 3 hour radius in all directions. They even ship many of those dogs to the East coast and northern states, and there's still a shitload more coming in.

ETA: And on the other hand, there's few to zero adoption events here, and the dog population is actually sub-par what I'm used to. Even with petshops selling dogs and BYB'ers. We've been looking for a pup for months, and there's just NONE around.
Don't even talk to me about Memphis Animal Services. Go to http://yesbiscuit.wordpress.com and you can read her blog posts about the rampant abuse and cruelty that goes on at that shelter. Read about the shelter workers being charged with cruelty, see pictures of this cruelty on the blog, even pictures of rows of empty cages, and THEN tell me that they are "trying" or that it's the fault of the "irresponsible public" that they kill!

"Give thanks to God for being dog. He gave us the joy of angels." - Trixie Koontz, Dog, Trixie Treats & Holiday Wisdom - Christmas is Good!
Old 10-09-2012, 06:04 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet72947 View Post
Don't even talk to me about Memphis Animal Services. Go to http://yesbiscuit.wordpress.com and you can read her blog posts about the rampant abuse and cruelty that goes on at that shelter. Read about the shelter workers being charged with cruelty, see pictures of this cruelty on the blog, even pictures of rows of empty cages, and THEN tell me that they are "trying" or that it's the fault of the "irresponsible public" that they kill!
You don't think I already know the reputation? I've ranted on it on this forum, not to mention others. There's at least...100 rescues, shelters, and humane societies in that area. If not more. Memphis Animal Services are not the only one around, nor are they a huge contender.

So, do not shove THAT crap in my face, darlin'.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:21 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardogs View Post
This. I think its always a productive discussion to see what else we can do to get dogs adopted in to homes, and staying in the homes they’re adopted in to. There are a lot of good ideas out there and they need to be shared.

That said, pet overpopulation is not a myth. Its not. It might be in some areas, but around here its really, really not a myth. There are more dogs and cats than homes period.

I also don’t think euthanasia is the worst thing that can happen to an adoptable dog. I’m sorry, but I don’t. I would much rather see a dog go to the shelter, even if its right in to the back room, than dumped on some back country road to die of starvation, predation, illness, or injury.
~Suzanne Clothier
Old 10-09-2012, 06:25 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danefied View Post
I also don’t think euthanasia is the worst thing that can happen to an adoptable dog. I’m sorry, but I don’t. I would much rather see a dog go to the shelter, even if its right in to the back room, than dumped on some back country road to die of starvation, predation, illness, or injury.
Totally agree.

There are fates worse than death. A peaceful end is not the worst thing that could happen.

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 10-09-2012, 06:30 PM
Squishy face

Whenever I post an article or something about no-kill, people always jump in to defend the killing. Killing healthy, adoptable pets needs to stop being ok. It needs to stop. Not only does it create an unhealthy, apathetic environment for the animals, it is not healthy for people. If the people who do the killing aren't completely without empathy, they learn to harden themselves to it. Sometimes, they can't harden themselves to it and they commit suicide.

Sure there are a lot of obstacles in the way. Sure it won't be easy, maybe at times it will be so hard we'll want to give up. But I believe that we can change the sheltering system and make it a place where animals can be safe and cared for instead of abused or neglected, and killed. All we have to do is try.

For those who aren't aware, here's a little history on the sheltering system. Animal "pounds" were basically corrals where stray livestock was kept in the middle of town so that their owners could come by and claim them. These eventually evolved into the pounds we know that held stray dogs and cats. They were never meant to hold animals for a long period of time. The animal sheltering system was made to control stray animals, and that was all. However, as time changed it also became a place where people took unwanted pets. Shelter policy remains outdated, which is why we continue to kill animals for no good reason. It's just the way it was always done. That's no reason it's the way it should always be.

Old 10-09-2012, 06:32 PM
Top Dog

What areas is overpopulation a myth? That's what I'm wondering...lol.

And sure, lets shove a dog in a cage for years where he can sit and wait for someone who wants him on a day that may never come... That's much more humane than just letting them go, right?

"Only when the last tree is cut, only when the last river is polluted, only when the last fish is caught, will they realize that you can’t eat money." –Native American proverb