Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-10-2012, 12:24 PM
such sights to show you

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
However I must agree to accept these knee jerk reactions as "needed" or "something I use" isn't a good thing. Used? sure. Mistakes? definitely. To constantly strive to be better? I suppose that's all we can do.
Well said. For me, with Squash it's just that he's SO busy in the house... pace, pace, pace, sit/stare, pace, pace, pace, sit/paw, paw, paw, paw, bark, pace, pace, stare, bark, paw. It gets on my nerves like crazy... the pacing I've actually learned to ignore but the pawing gets out of control sometimes. Lately I've been trying to ask myself "what is he getting out of this?" and turn it back onto myself and how my own behavior contributes instead of getting irritated with him. But some days it's a struggle and an "oh for the love of god!!!" might escape my lips from time to time.

ETA: To clarify, while I might verbally lose my cool sometimes, never anything physical, though. He just is what he is, there's no point in that kind of stuff in teaching him to settle down.

Old 10-10-2012, 12:48 PM
Top Dog

It's interesting to see what scares or shuts down other people's dogs.
For Kailey, yelling terrifies her. Two people can simply be having a heated but friendly debate in the house and she'll run to me for reassurance cuddles.
However, smacking and kneeing wriles her up for tug. If I were to yell while playing tug, she's run under the shed. Grab her scruff and knee at her? That's as much fun as a dog can have, in her mind.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:09 PM
Top Dog

The only one of my dogs that is soft is Chevelle. The rest are the complete OPPOSITE of soft. Lol.

"Only when the last tree is cut, only when the last river is polluted, only when the last fish is caught, will they realize that you can’t eat money." –Native American proverb
Old 10-10-2012, 03:41 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekka View Post
Sounds like a very messed up horse to me, I know some geldings that think pushing and shoving and the like are fun. No that doesn't have any thing to do with respect. In fact horses that like that sort of thing and are indulged by people are dangerous.
It isn't fun, it is because they are male and haven't been taught it isn't acceptable around people. Mares and fillies don't do this but colts and geldings do because they are hard wired to play this way to prepare them to fight for mares as they mature. So they pop their shoulders into you and try to knock you off balance.........usually then followed by a quick nip or bite.
Same as how many geldings are mouthy, colts and studs as well. Funny how people give them a slap thinking it will stop the behaviour..........nope those kind (usually have a typically higher testerone levels for geldings), they have instigated the game and we comply by slapping them, game on in their mind. Now it is a sparring match.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:00 PM
<------ CLAIM! ^_^

me too i have threatened mine with a spanking "If you dont stop I'm gonna whip your ass!" but i never do it, I have struck another dog while trying to protect my then smaller pup from an attack while walking (dog came out of no where, no time to react)
Old 10-10-2012, 05:08 PM
Top Dog

I don't use physical punishment for training. We do play physically though. I don't use the leash either. I do, however, unfairly give the cold shoulder on occasions when I am frustrated with our training. Completely unfairly and I work hard to stop it from getting to that point. Thankfully it doesn't happen often... but I'd like it to never happen!

I have growled at Abby in the past for her reactivity (inappropriately and unnecessarily) which achieves nothing. I'm much more calm about things now and I have the tools to cope, but at the time it was a strong emotionally reaction based on a mixture of fear, frustration, embarrassment and sadness.

We are a fairly loud family, so yelling doesn't tend to bother either Grace or Abby, they associate it with play. My grandmother's whippet is very soft and the same rough and tumble treatment freaks him out, so I am more careful with him but at the same time, I'm trying to get him a little accustomed to it. A little OT, but Abby responds VERY strongly to my energy... the other day I found out about a job opportunity that was very exciting and I had a lot of happy and nervous energy and did a lot of pacing and thinking and rummaging through documents. She was immediately on edge. She's the same when I clean out my wardrobe - it's as if she associates it with upheaval. Grace wouldn't blink an eye if I had people come in a take every piece of furniture in the place... she'd still stay smiling lol.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:15 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara! View Post
The only one of my dogs that is soft is Chevelle. The rest are the complete OPPOSITE of soft. Lol.
IME the harder the dog the more reason to avoid physical punishment. I say this often, but I have a dog who’s prey drive resulted in him getting his teeth rearranged, then later he impaled himself and wound up with 5 stitches and a drain - also chasing. None of that had any effect on his chasing prey.

However, using a conditioned reinforcer (play with me), I can call him off a chase. I don’t think I would have achieved that kind of reliability with a physical aversive since this dog is seriously immune to physical punishment.
~Suzanne Clothier
Old 10-10-2012, 08:44 PM
Top Dog

The only physical interaction I have with my dogs for training is then physical taps and pops I give Malyk. It's not corrective, nor is it punishment. He is very "touch interactive". I've been realizing that a lot about him lately.. He will understand "sit" better as a touch on his butt, rather than the word. "Shake" is a poke to his shoulder. "Lay down" is a pop underneath the chin. "Pay attention" is a pop across the muzzle. It doesn't scare him, it doesn't punish him... I guess you could call those his cues.

"Only when the last tree is cut, only when the last river is polluted, only when the last fish is caught, will they realize that you can’t eat money." –Native American proverb
Old 10-10-2012, 08:49 PM
Glutton for Crazy

A lot of people have trouble training sit with a verbal or signal so they mould the dog by touching/pushing the butt down. TBH if they don't plan to trial ever and they aren't hurting the dog I don't care what they do.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:52 PM
Love My Mutt <3

oh... wait, are we counting touching for cues as hitting/slapping/spanking/whatever?

As the owner of a nearly blind nearly deaf dog... yah... it's kinda a necessity

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13