Family Update! (Massive Photo Dump)

FG167

This thread will most likely have a LOT of photos so I thought this section would do.

We've been in TN for just over a month now. It's been a whirlwind! We are definitely enjoying the area we live in and state is so gorgeous. Most of you know that we moved to TN from MI because Jason got a job offer as a K-9 handler/trainer for bomb detection, tracking, and scratch indication dogs.

Well, after we'd been here about 2 weeks, they asked me to work for them on a contractual basis. I found/bought/drove to pick up and delivered two of their new tracking dogs and two of their new scratch dogs.

I was focusing pretty seriously on the tracking and scratch program and they asked me if I would be interested in learning to handle a bomb detection dog - to which I answered, sure! After one day of training they had me performance tested by a different site with the dog and we passed :) Then after another 2 days, asked me if I was interested in taking the FLECA test with two different dogs. My dogs and I passed those tests yesterday. Most handlers get 2-3 months of training before they are tested so I feel pretty confident that they are looking at me in a more long-term way now. Which is fantastic!

This is one of my bomber dogs, Ericka:

Some of you may remember Jones, the young dog that was bought for the scratch dog program that I kept at our house for about 2 weeks. He was really shy at first and I wanted him to acclimate and feel confident before we moved him to the kennel - or we would rehome him if he didn't ever feel comfortable there and couldn't work. But, with careful integration, he is thriving there! He is very pushy, confident and happyhappyhappy when we work with him now and is coming along VERY well!

I went to back to MI to buy a GSD and a Bloodhound. They are both working out *very* well in the program and each day I look forward to tracking/trailing with them. I don't have any pictures of the Bloodhound because 1. she doesn't have any obedience and 2. the old owner wasn't very good with her so she prefers to just cling to me so no pics. I will work on that now that she is at the kennels though. This is the new GSD, his name is Lery (he was waving goodbye to his mom), and I <3 him!

I picked Lery up at my friend's kennel and she has a "tame" deer - she is qualified to raise them and this one was unhealthy so this is all legit. Anyway, the deer's name is Briar and she happened to come upon my car as I was loading up all the dogs (2 GSDs, a Bloodhound, a Corgi and a mix dog). Eden thought she was a sheep...

Briar grew up around dogs though and knows what she's doing:

I loaded everyone up and she decided to see what all the fuss was about...yeah, Kastle almost blew a gasket (he's in the back and he's dark so you can hardly see him).

This was my fave pic:

The rest of the pics are HERE if anyone is interested.

*MORE*

FG167

I also picked up a little mix dog from these kennels, via rescue. His career is undecided as of yet since he was picked up by animal control off the street, we are going to evaluate and see where best he fits. He will be trained in agility/flyball and also detection at our work. He's a lovely little sporty dog with a very confident temperament so I know we can find a good fit for him (although, Jason is pretty smitten, truth be told!). He's been marvelous for Limit and they play together really well (he's staying with us at our house for several months while we determine what makes him happy). Kastle *really* disliked Jones (Jones was the instigator) but we were more than able to manage that - however, everyone likes Snitch and that does make having a "guest" easier!

This is Snitch.

He is SO CUTE! And a feisty little booger too!

More Snitch photos are HERE.

I love Kastle - here he is, chased by almost the entire pack, and loving it :D

*MORE*

FG167

Pan gets a little overwhelmed with the whole pack so we trim it down for him.

I think this is hilarious!

Limit is teething and is being a snarky little ****. To be fair, it's been a pretty violent teething process. I can smell the blood on him and he is constantly whining and shoving things in his mouth. He's pretty cranky though.

He loves toys but tugging and chewing on hard things hurts his little mouth (I have a towel he likes to suck on but that's for inside, not outside) so our play time together isn't very fun since we can't tug together and he gets cranky retrieving. I've been bringing him to work and to the park to get him out and stimulated and he's been doing GREAT. I've started him on the explosives odor and he is already showing odor discrimination at his very young age (not even 5 months yet) and has blown past the other dogs we are training for it right now. If I do two sessions with him during the day, he feels much more settled at night and is less cranky. I guess tricks/flyball/agility isn't as stimulating for him right now. He's sooooo smart and analytical and he is so calm and SERIOUS when we are at work, totally different dog. Love him.

The girls are our tag-a-longs. We haul them when we go to the park, frequently when we go to work and just anywhere they can chill/hang out with us.

Finny is also doing really well. Seems we have made it out the nerve-bag phase and we are into the more fun phase. However, he has decided that he is also a Mommy's boy and dotes on me, follows me everywhere, wants to be touching me ALL THE TIME. He works fantastic for Jason, but you can tell in Finny's mind, he's working with him for me LOL He's a weird dog.

We're also training him on odor at work because the bosses LOVE HIM. They are always asking to have him brought out to show off his handstand and leg weaving - he's so small and pretty and he loves to demo so he is very popular at work. He's also great with one of the boss' little girl. He was nervous at first but he's getting better and she is a very serious, experienced, 6 year old. She wants to teach him some tricks :)

His hair is soooo flamboyant!

Thanks for looking!!!

Lizmo

Water Junkie
I love them all! What a hoot about the deer! The dogs look way more confused than the deer. LOL

Barb04

Super Moderator
Wow, they all look great. So glad everything is turning out so well with your move to TN.

Taqroy

I laughed so freaking hard at this picture. *poke* "Shut up small dog!!"

I'm so glad to hear things are going great for you guys! Your job(s) sound fascinating, I'm kinda jealous!!

monkeys23

Seriously, you guys are living the dream! Gorgeous dogs, every one. Kastle and Pan are so cute. I love the pic of Kastle being chased by the pack! The new GSD guy looks like a loveable ham too!

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
absolutely wonderful photos. Looks like everyone is healthy and happy and living the good life. Good for you. A pleasure to see.

Paviche

Duuuuude.
That's wonderful! The pictures with the deer are priceless.

Also, Snitch looks so much like a smooth-coated version of my coworker's dog that I had to stop and double take.

Link since it's your photo thread, not mine :)

Members online

No members online now.