Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 10-07-2012, 09:32 AM
Kung Pow Fish

Default Raw on a tight budget

Right now my hours are almost nonexistant, so Im looking for input on what is absolutely needed and what can wait til things are more stable/I pick up a second job. I have ground beef and chicken leg quarters, eggs, plain full fat yogurt, and a rack of pork ribs thawing. What is absolutely essential, on top of these things, for the next month or so? Iv been told I should get ACV, coconut or salmon oil, tripe, and organ meat. Of those extras, which ones are a YES ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL and which ones can wait a couple months til I have more money?
Old 10-07-2012, 09:46 AM
Resident fainting goat

I would just do the salmon oil and organ meat personally. Along with your quarters, ribs, and other muscle meats (stick with chicken for now, it's cheap.)

Tripe isn't essential, some people don't bother, or ACV, or coconut oil or the yogurt, I would nix buying more ground beef, it's expensive for what you are getting really.

you should be fine til' things get a little better.
Do you have any china towns or other independent markets near by?

Disclaimer: I work for Trupanion and love it/our policy! But I do not speak for the company or as the company.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:47 AM
Glutton for Crazy

Organ meat, the fatty oils are not.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:15 AM
love the fluff

I would add liver for sure, since organ meat is essential to a raw diet. Beef liver is easy to find, and a little more potent than chicken liver.

I would also add fish oils for omegas, they are also very important as a source for skin and coat health. Coconut oil will give you an added fat source, as well as a number of other benefits.

So, on a tight budget, if I were you I would feed the chicken quarters, ground beef since you have it, beef liver and an omega source of fish or coconut oils.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:21 AM
Top Dog

Organ meat like Chicken Gizzards and Hearts are really cheap. Turkey necks are cheap. You can usually get buckets of raw liver at the grocery store, if not your local Sport House (people use it for catching catfish-just make sure there's nothing added to it).

Coconut oil can be a little pricey, but you only need a spoon or so every other feeding if you need to stretch it.

Also, check what you're making for dinner. Chicken breast too small or fatty to bother cooking? Throw it to the dog, not the garbage can! Same with cutting any fat off your meat.

Zander gets dinner scraps above all else, and the larger meals only once or twice a week. I fill in everything else with plain kibble/Seameal by Solid Gold.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:24 AM
Kung Pow Fish

Yes Iv already been advised about cuttong off bone and fatty bits of my own meals. Thats why I have a rack of pork ribs-- was for my roommate but it went freezerburned so he doesnt want it. Free raw I can dig it! >:3

Ill look around for beef liver, but all I see at groceries is chicken liver and i KNOW my older bitch wont touch that stuff, she used ot be on raw and i had to sneak her liver in a ground mix. I dont have acess to any butchers unless theyre in a 5 mile radius of me, so my options are slightly limited :c
Old 10-07-2012, 11:27 AM
Top Dog

Whole chickens are usually only $4-$5 each. Those can be stretched a bit, but they can take up some space.

I can sympathize on the liver. Zander won't touch it either. He really enjoys the hearts and gizzards, though. and for only $2 a package, it's a pretty decent meal for the both of us.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:59 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Organ meat like Chicken Gizzards and Hearts are really cheap.
Um, neither of those are considered organs. They're muscle, just like any other meat.

I'd be sure to add in organs. The oils are good, but missing them for just a month if you NEED to shouldn't do too much harm. Liver is very cheap. Beef liver is usually in the freezer, not out in the meat display like the chicken liver is.
Old 10-07-2012, 12:00 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post
Um, neither of those are considered organs. They're muscle, just like any other meat.
Good point.
Going back to my coffee now.
Old 10-07-2012, 12:40 PM
Top Dog

For a month or two? I have known many adult dogs to do just fine eating nothing but chicken backs/necks and leftovers for months. Those are definitely the cheapest parts and the backs are great because they usually have some organ meat still attached. And by just fine, I mean there is no noticeable difference between the dogs on that diet and them on a more varied diet. So if money is tight, I'd suggest doing something like that. If you feel you must add more things, canned pumpkin is an easy, ready to eat "veggie", canned fish or frozen smelts can be added a few times a week and maybe a spoonful of yogurt. If you cook at home, save all parts of veggies/fruits that you don't use or that are overripe in the freezer and when you have a couple weeks saved up put it in the blender with yogurt and make a healthy smoothie for the dogs. If you don't cook at home, you can keep an eye out for discounted fruits/veggies at the store and do the same with them. Overripe veggies/fruits are not an issue for dogs, in fact they are probably more natural for them Supplements are generally not essential and TBH I'm not sure I have seen the use of supplements make a huge difference (mine are on and off various supplements), except for joint supplements and old dogs. Organic ACV isn't too expense and you only need a small amount but it's also not essential.