Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-06-2012, 08:45 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Default ACK! QUICK HELP! FLEAS! Ughughughugh

I just found ****ing FLEAS on Marlee. NEVER dealt with fleas before, wtf do you do for them?! I can't use diatomacious earth or whatever, it's not proven safe with the ferrets and I'm not about to risk it. I'm assuming the dog brought the stupid things in, cause none of the ferrets have been out.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 10-06-2012, 08:47 PM
Top Dog

Dawn dish soap? We always used that for small critters and baby puppies.
Old 10-06-2012, 08:51 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyzelle View Post
Dawn dish soap? We always used that for small critters and baby puppies.
Yup. This.

"Only when the last tree is cut, only when the last river is polluted, only when the last fish is caught, will they realize that you can’t eat money." –Native American proverb
Old 10-06-2012, 08:57 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Well darn, I don't even have dawn dish soap xD

Thanks guys! I'm itchy, off to at least bathe everybody. Even if it doesn't help, I'll feel better

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 10-06-2012, 09:11 PM
Resident fainting goat

Water and a bath with anything soapy will be fine if you don't have dawn. Just have them in water/soapy for as long as posible (that should drown/kill just about anything) and then comb/brush/blow dry everybody out.

Throw all pet stuff (bedding, hammocks, stuffies etc..) in the wash. ON HOT. Soap. typical stuff. then in the dryer, super hot.

I would do k9advantix on Rosey. (Frontline is basically water for fleas in my experience)

Good luck! Hate fleas. Ugh they are awful.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:17 PM
Love My Mutt <3

well, I bathed Marlee in lemon juice diluted, cause it's what I found online and will at least stop me from having nightmares I'll go get some dawn tomorrow and do everybody and a thorough clean, I guess. Vet's not open til Tuesday, cause of stupid Thanksgiving, but I'm definitely talking to the rescue and being like WTF. I always thought she was just super itchy, as most ferrets are.

As far as my house, I think I'll just burn it with fire. Seems like a logical response.

Old 10-06-2012, 09:20 PM
Top Dog

Put baking soda down on the carpets. Plenty of it. Leave it sit for a bit, then vacuum everything up. Wash everything else with either bleach or something very citrus-y. Boil lemons or something, whatever you have around.

As Fran said, throw everything else that can be in the laundry, HOT HOT water. If your washer doesn't get that hot, throw them in the bath tub in the hottest water you've got. Or boil a giant stockpot of water. I've also used vinegar in the past on the rinse cycle.

ETA: Furniture is a little trickier, especially if you don't have a steamer. But you can spray your cloth furniture down with a lemon extract, vinegar, grapefruit essential oil type of mix. Again, citrus-y.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:25 PM
Love My Mutt <3

I, thank god, don't have any carpet. MAJOR CLEAN TOMORROW.

Old 10-06-2012, 10:10 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

I used Revolution on Dameon (and the rats). Dose of 7mg/kg. I think he got .11ml (he's 2.5lbs) of the <5lb application tube.

I also sprayed my entire apartment with Virbac's flea spray stuff (Knock Out?). Toxic to birds and fish, but safe to spray around other things in a well ventilated area. Doesn't discolor carpet or upholstery and is safe to use on pet beds.

So far, no more fleas! ^^

Old 10-07-2012, 04:48 AM
Top Dog

You sure it's fleas? It's very rare for ferrets to get fleas due to their fur type.

"Ma'ii is always out there, waiting. And Ma'ii is always hungry." - Navajo proverb