Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-05-2012, 05:29 PM
Top Dog

Default How much do you spent on vet bills?

Just curious, what does everyone average a year on vet bills?

My vet is a bit pricier than many in town but he's experienced in sighthounds and very experienced in general. I guess I am paying extra for piece of mind. He also doesn't suggest every test known to man has to be run first to rule things out every time, which is nice.
But it limits how many dogs I feel I can afford to keep. I need to be able to afford those sudden vet emergencies and the more dogs I have, the more chances there are of sudden finance ruining vet emergencies.

I'm amazed at the vast difference in prices in vets, city to city and country to country. So for curiosities sake, how much do you spend roughly?

For me it's about
$70 for a consultation
$380 for spay
$250-$300 for a yearly check up with shots
$130 for flea/heart worm for 6 months for one dog.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:56 PM
Top Dog

I just worked this out for interests sake knowing that I've been extremely lucky thus far with Abby.

Based on six yearly checkups, one extra vet appointment one year and one emergency vet appointment with turned out fine and needed no follow up (did I say how lucky I am!!!):

$211.66 approximately per year.

My parent's dog Grace would be significantly higher on average because she had a cruciate ligament surgery as a 2 year old and has to occasionally have a benign mouth growth removed, but I just can't remember the exact figures.

All and all they are very healthy dogs though and I've had great luck healthwise so for that I'm very grateful.

Oh, I didn't factor in flea/heartworm treatment, that's probably more expensive than my average vet bill for the year!! I'd say around $250 a year?
Old 10-05-2012, 05:58 PM
MyHorseMyRules

My vet charges $45 for an office visit. A yearly checkup and all their shots costs a total of $90-100 for each dog. For Tempie to get spayed, her rabies shot updated, and a hernia repair, it was $140. I don't buy flea/heartworm stuff from the vet, so I don't know what they charge for that.
Love My Mutt <3

I'd really rather not think about it

Rosey:
- Annual wellness check and rabies/distemper vaccines - $120 (She will no longer be getting vaccines, her rabies is good for 3 years, and if she lives to 18 1/2 we won't feel comfortable vaccinating her)
- Bi-Annual blood work - $75/go - $150 annually
- Pain meds - $45/bottle - at the moment ~$135 annually, as she gets older it will go up

Renegade:
- $60 for annual wellness check
- $30 per blood glucose test with sedation - ~$90-$120 annually
- ~$100 annually because he likes to scare me and make me take him to the vet for no reason

Harley:
-$75 for annual wellness check and rabies/distemper vaccines
-$15 blood glucose test without sedation - $45-$60 annually

Ella:
- $75 for annual wellness check and rabies/distemper vaccines

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Top Dog

I just spent roughly $1300 on a (complicated) mass removal for Bailey. Diagnosing Buzz's hypothyroidism cost about $500 this spring.

And they both take medications regularly. Luckily, I get free general exams still!
Puzzle Piece Gabby RL1 RLV 9 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years
Old 10-05-2012, 06:17 PM
Top Dog

I've probably averaged ~$800/year in vet bills, for a healthy dog.

Once she caught some nasty intestinal bug from an overnight dog guest, and had a nearly $600 e-vet bill to get fluids in her when she was exploding from both ends all over our apartment. Last month she had 2 teeth removed to the tune of $750. Once she ate something (outside, that I didn't see) that caused her to vomit 4 or 5 times in a couple hours...so we had to take her in to get charcoal in her tummy and they wanted to do x-rays, which ended up being $600. Then her yearly visit generally costs in the range of $250-300, plus the occasional trip to be dewormed or for a UTI or whatever that run around $100.

And that's not even counting meds. If you include that, I'd say we spend about $1000/year on medical related things (vet bills + meds) for a healthy dog.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:28 PM
Top Dog

I just remembered that I have pet insurance which I've used once (the emergency trip) and although I cannot say that I've got my money's worth so far, it's one of those things that I'm really happy to have, but would prefer if I didn't have to use it anyway.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:50 PM
and Spy.

.... Way too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryMan View Post
I think u need some angry school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
That's what we do here. We're emotionally invested in each other and each other's dogs, the joys and the sorrows.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:51 PM
such sights to show you

All of it.

Old 10-05-2012, 07:09 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaospony View Post
For me it's about
$70 for a consultation
$380 for spay
$250-$300 for a yearly check up with shots
$130 for flea/heart worm for 6 months for one dog.
$30 for an office visit. Shots were about $40 I think last time. It ended up being about $85-$95 when I took Yoshi in for check up. She also had an ear infection and so that 85-95 also covered them helping me clean out her ear and some cleaner and drops for her.
$80-$120 for a spay/neuter.
$100-$120 for heartworm prevention

The pricey thing:

$1200-$1400 each time she has bloated.