Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 10-05-2012, 09:08 AM
Allons-y!

I think it's totally fine for good news - if you had a baby/are getting married/whatever it's the easiest way to reach the largest number of people.

For bad news though, I'm not a fan. I first found out that my close friend had died over FB - saw the "RIP" posts before I got the phone call. For me it made it that much harder because I was in denial for a while and could imagine it was some sick joke. It sucked. Maybe that's just my experience though and there are some situations where it would make sense.

Emily &:
CH Aurai Defying Gravity CL1-R - "Newton"
MBIF CH Tova's Don't Stop Believin' of Aurai CL1-S CGC - "Journey"
BIF/BISS CH Tova's Cricket Song of Ardmoor Farms CL2 CGC - "Cricket"
Visit us on Facebook!
Old 10-05-2012, 09:44 AM
Resident fainting goat

I think those close to the situation (good or bad) should get a proper PERSONAL phone call or other way of informing them. And it should be made sure they know FIRST. No-one should have to find out via facebook and find out they are the 300th person to know this bit of news.
or worse. get a phone call from someone assuming they knew and finding out through that. This is especially awful when it's a death.

General public/distant friends/old co-workers etc.. I think facebook is fine. You can't call everyone.

Even if it's a good thing. I would not feel comfortable with my old college room-mate and some girl I did a project with once knowing about my engagement before like.. my mother because they just happen to be on facebook more.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:53 AM
Stinky Butt

When my mother passed away recently, it was expected as she was in hospice for 3 weeks. I texted or called my family and the friends who had been there through the whole journey with us. The next day I did post it on FB because I have a lot of cyber friends who have been praying along with me, as well as a lot of friends in real life that I don't see or talk to often, but did want updates. I think it depends on the situation and how close you are to that individual.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:02 AM
Top Dog

I don't like bad news being spread over facebook. My cousin posted about the death of my great aunt as soon as she got off the phone from being told - my Dad didn't even know about it yet. Hell, no one on my side of the family knew about it. And when I called her out on it she said "WELL, it's not my fault no one talks to each other in this family." Uh, actually it is your fault for being an attention ***** and posting it on fb right away. (Sorry, apparently I'm still mad about this.)

If it was done the way Shai outlined I don't think I would have a problem with it. That's not usually what I see though.

Good news (as long as the important people are notified first) I have no problem with.

I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013
Old 10-05-2012, 10:09 AM
<--------Orson

Surprisingly, with so many things I really hate about FB.......I'm ok with that aspect of it. Not a fan of posting it on the WALL before the closest ones are PMd though.

Would I want to hear my child, grandparent, parent or sibling died that way? No........otherwise, I am perfectly fine with PRIVATE mass notification.

I've had to be the one notifying before and it's heart wrenching for the notifyer......REPEATEDLY. Each household is going to ask the same questions, expect the same recounting, and you (the notifyer) have to relive it through the facts/details/story over and over. If there was a way to do one mass phone call, I'd say that would be the ticket, but there isn't.

Yep. I'm ok with it because I can put myself in the shoes of the other side. Also, for the record if/when something happens to my mom I won't be calling all the family members. The ones who show they care about her ALIVE will be notified directly, all the rest will see it on FB and they can get GLAD in the same pants they got MAD in. *shrugs*
Old 10-05-2012, 03:45 PM
treehugging clicker freak

NOT A FAN.
Last week I found out my great grandma died on FB.... from my Mom of all people. Well, technically, I started getting texts "I'm sorry for your loss Dana" and stuff like that and I was like WTF *enter panic mode* until I got online and saw my Mom had posted it on her wall. I was NOT happy. I had even called my Mom (she didnt answer) and asked my brother before I got on the computer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran101 View Post
I think those close to the situation (good or bad) should get a proper PERSONAL phone call or other way of informing them. And it should be made sure they know FIRST. No-one should have to find out via facebook and find out they are the 300th person to know this bit of news.
or worse. get a phone call from someone assuming they knew and finding out through that. This is especially awful when it's a death.

General public/distant friends/old co-workers etc.. I think facebook is fine. You can't call everyone.

Even if it's a good thing. I would not feel comfortable with my old college room-mate and some girl I did a project with once knowing about my engagement before like.. my mother because they just happen to be on facebook more.
Agreed

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 10-05-2012, 04:00 PM
We are Home.

With dads accident My stepmom handed out phone numbers to her friends surrounding her and had them call. I didnt find out right away because it was a phone tree but Kerry really COULDNT do it because of how things were going at the hospital. (she wanted to wait until they got him "stable")

Friend called our uncle, who called mom who told us.

It hurt at the time but her and I talked about it later and she told us point blank at that point she could NOT handle telling us. She knew it would break our hearts and we would have questions and she just COULDNT do it.

Im for FB after important people know.

Advice, most needed, is least heeded- Fortune Cookie

Old 10-05-2012, 04:29 PM
Top Dog

I'm not a huge fan, I would miss a lot of momentous stuff if my family posted in only on FB... well at least I'd be getting told stuff second hand a lot because I am barely on FB. There are just some things that I don't think are appropriate to post, but that doesn't mean that others don't and I guess in reality I'll just have to get used to this kind of thing (it doesn't mean I'll ever think it's ok to solely announce a death on facebook though).

I'm more concerned about what people post on facebook regarding legal proceedings - potentially prejudicing cases. I'm sure people don't realise a lot of the time (I guess it's problematic when social media is so new, relatively so) and it's also hard when the media does similar things when they should know better. But something needs to be done to make people aware of the issues - the police dept shouldn't have to issue statements asking people to refrain from talking about issues that may see a case thrown out.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:25 PM
MyHorseMyRules

On the receiving end, I'm completely fine with it. For one thing, I'm not overly sympathetic or caring. Plus I'm really bad at dealing with people (especially those in need of comfort), and I find those conversations/announcements very awkward and uncomfortable.

But if I had some bad news to share, I wouldn't use Facebook to do it simply because I know most people aren't like me.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:28 PM
Love My Mutt <3

What's the difference between seeing it on Facebook vs finding out when you read the paper? I mean, Facebook would be quicker...

ETA: I guess I mean like... do you think Facebook is not ok and would rather read it in the paper?

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13