Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 10-05-2012, 07:15 AM
Just try me..

Default How do you feel about momentous (good or bad) being delievered via FB?

In a way I get why it was done. But my first cousin died of a heart attack last night. I learnt of this via PM on FB along with my family and close family friends.

I made sure I called my parents this morning. I didn't want my dad finding out his brother's son died over FB. I just think that is mean, not sure why... I just feel as personal a touch as possible when relaying such news is best.

How do guys feel about serious stuff over social media?
Old 10-05-2012, 07:17 AM
Top Dog

I just found out this morning on FB that my (ex) uncle just died.

Not a fan.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:22 AM
Sit! Good dog.

Not sure. Depends on what it was, and who.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 10-05-2012, 07:27 AM
Top Dog

Depends who it is, how close I am to that person, and the situation.

If someone looses someone they love and are having trouble dealing with it I'm not going to get pissed off they didn't take time to call me personally. I see nothing wrong with a pm. I was kinda expecting it to have been a wall post when i first entered this thread.

Old 10-05-2012, 07:54 AM
Blackout

I agree with Yoko.

Very much depends on whom it is, how close they are to me, what's going on etc.

Everyone that's close to me though isn't updated on my activities, whereabouts, news etc on Facebook - we text, call or see each other on a regular basis for all that. So any major happenings I would be informed of in a more direct/personal manner anyways. I would be startled if one of them sent me a piece of incredibly huge news over FB or Weibo - but would understand if it was more convenient/comfortable for whatever reason.
All except when we happen to meet.

Stories, Poetry, and Musings
http://inugami1112.wordpress.com/

"And it's all been lost before, so there's nothing to lose..."

"There are those that love dogs insanely and those that don't. But once you like a dog, you're sunk. You're a dog person for life."

UKC Kuvasz Standard
AKC Kuvasz Standard
Old 10-05-2012, 07:57 AM
Love My Mutt <3

When my grandmother passed away, we alerted those who cared -- her children (including a couple that didn't actually care), her siblings, and then the grandchildren who would have cared, as well as her close friends.

Anybody else found out via Facebook, or we left the great-grandchildren to learn from their parents. Mostly through statuses, "RIP Nanny, we'll miss you" etc. Then again, in that case we're talking about hundreds of people that needed to be notified, most of whom didn't really care.

More than once I've found out a cousin or somebody died from Facebook... I would definitely expect an uncle/aunt to get a phone call, though.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 10-05-2012, 07:59 AM
Top Dog

I'm not really a fan of it. Possibly because in the past, DH has abused the heck out of it. He never talked to me about anything. I had to stalk his facebook wall to know when he was happy, when he was ticked off about something, any new announcements about his job, etc., etc.

I hate social media. There are some things you just SHOULDN'T post on facebook before making that personal connection. Huge life changes are one of those times. I found out I was being moved to Italy over facebook. That's ridiculous. So is announcing a death.

It's annoying. People are completely disconnected from their close family and friends. CLOSE. More distant family and friends who don't really care, okay, then who cares? Why does it even need to be on facebook then to begin with?
Old 10-05-2012, 08:06 AM
& the Muttly Crew

I think it depends on how it's done.

Like when my college roommate died. those who were close to her were called and it was given a couple days for the news to spread amidst those circles...but at the same time it's college and people move around so much and lose touch so several days after she passed, her family posted on her FB "I'm so sorry to anyone who is finding out this way, but for those who don't know, _____ passed away last Friday..." and followed it up with a few important details and when/where the funeral arrangements would be so folks could make arrangements to pay their respects.

Honestly I think it was handled well, though I was pretty much a mess at the time and did not find out via FB so my perception could be skewed.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 10-05-2012, 08:20 AM
such sights to show you

I think it's a reasonable way to spread the word to a lot of people who the family may not know closely enough to notify in other ways. But I do think immediate family and close friends should be told personally in another way before the word goes out on FB.

A lot of stuff people put on FB astonishes me, but I was old by the time FB even came along so I think it's sort of one of those... social conventions change kind of things.

Old 10-05-2012, 08:24 AM
Top Dog

I think a PM is the same as a mass email. Its not the gentlest way to tell but depending on the situation I can very easily see why people would choose that method.