Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-04-2012, 12:23 PM
It's A Red Dog Revolution

I prefer owner/handler, but working in the industry has me calling people ____'s Mom/Dad. I've just found that Mom/Dad is really a lot easier, and people seem to like it. That being said, in the house I definitely use baby talk at them. I'm Mom, my husband is Dad, but that's actually it - no Grandma/Grandpa/Aunt/Uncle, etc. Obviously I'm aware that they aren't kids, but I totally call them babies, and little ones. They like the baby talk - it gets them all happy and excited, which can be helpful in training, too. It doesn't make me treat them not like dogs, however. I own them, I paid for them, I care for them - I have the right to talk at them weirdly

Loistava's Jari - 17 months old (M)
Loistava's Kimma RN AX AXJ RATN CGC - 4 years old (F)
AOM CH Finkkila's Kupla ("Bubbles") - 4 years old (F)
CH Finkkila's Pentti CGC TDI - 6 years old (M)
Old 10-04-2012, 12:52 PM
Mild and Slightly Nutty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyPug View Post
Izzie has her own voice too. A kind of gangsta bitch voice... She swears a lot and is rather demanding.
Izzie swears?

She looks like such a lady...

A gold brick wrapped with a twist of lemon...

Visit the Curly-tailed Brigade
http://curly-tailed.blogspot.com/
Old 10-04-2012, 12:57 PM
Mild and Slightly Nutty

My pair is referred to as the curly tails, the dogs, the heathens, and yes at times as the kids. With the uninitiated it is usually just the dogs.

Watson is the boy, buddy, or at times monster.
Menchi is girly, babygirl, or chunky monkey.

I am their owner...with friends and family I am sometimes referred to as mom and my better half is dad.

Yes we "own" them...but our responsibility to them is much the same as it would be caring for a child. We feed them, we house them, we take care of their needs, clean up after them...pour our hearts and wallets into their lives... *shrugs*

I do agree though that they should never been seen as little people...

I also agree with the talking for your dogs is hilarious thing though

A gold brick wrapped with a twist of lemon...

Visit the Curly-tailed Brigade
http://curly-tailed.blogspot.com/
Old 10-04-2012, 01:31 PM
Top Dog

My dogs are a lot of things, my friends, companions, bubbies and my dogs. I am their owner, bubby, companion, friend, slave, maid, provider, handler. I am not their mother. I have one owner of a dog I bred that calls me Gammie..........makes me shudder everytime.
Old 10-04-2012, 01:32 PM
Top Dog

I consider myself as their Mommy....unless they step out of line, then I am their owner/handler/God/punisher! Zeus knows this lol.

Old 10-04-2012, 01:58 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillandSilent View Post
I will chime in to say, though, that when Argon and Gambit were both alive, I referred to them as the 'Little Men" to other people. No, I really have no idea why, it just started one day.

Now that it's Gambit and Shiva, I call them the heathens.

The cat is referred to as either 'the fat' or Brittany. Yeah, her actual name is Cheshire.
The ferrets as a whole are referred to "the little ones" when talking to other people. When talking to Rosey or someone in the house, we are apt to call them "the babies" because its what we use for rosey so its second nature.

Rosey and the ferrets do, however, know my parents as mom/mommy and dad/daddy, especially Rosey. For the sole reason that we were 4-7 years old when we got her, so that's what we called them. Also our grandmother as Nanny.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 10-04-2012, 02:46 PM
Top Dog

I totally use the mom/dad thing, despite swearing that I wouldn't when we first brought her home. Yeah, that lasted about 6 months before I caved. We are constantly asking each other "Did you feed Baby"? or "Has baby girl been let out yet?"

It's obnoxious just to type it, but so natural in the house.

I use it all the time when teaching agility too--I can remember dog names, but never seem to learn all the people in the class. Much easier to say, "Muppet, go find your mom!" when holding the dog on the other side of the tunnel or whatever.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:32 PM
and Spy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Jessie~ View Post
Each of our dogs totally has their own voice. Haha
I am SO glad I am not the only one who does this... Just sayin'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryMan View Post
I think u need some angry school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
That's what we do here. We're emotionally invested in each other and each other's dogs, the joys and the sorrows.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:39 PM
Top Dog

To other people, I just say "they're my dogs." "My dogs do this." "I have two dogs." But to my dogs, I say things like, "Come snuggle with mommy." "Wanna go for a car ride with Mom?" Or I might just say, "wanna go for a car ride." But yeah, to them, I refer to myself as Mommy. I don't really know why. I just do.

I would say they're my companions, partners, where I'm not really higher on some kind of rank...other than a parent might be. I see them as no less than I am. They're a different species, but I don't see them as a lesser species. I am also like a parent in that I guide, teach, and hang out with them. No, I didn't give birth to them and they're not the same as my human children. But I always taught my human children things, hung out with them, did things or went places with them. So, it's kind of the same.

Anyhow, that's the first time I've really given it a lot of thought. I do talk squeaky baby talk to them sometimes because it makes them get silly and they think it's fun. So, I say, "come to mama" in a silly voice as I might shake a toy for them to get.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 10-04-2012, 03:43 PM
Top Dog

I not only talk for my dogs, I talk for all the dogs at work and all the animals at my other work :rofl:

My entire family has always talked for the pets...maybe we're just odd