Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 10-03-2012, 11:22 PM
Puppy Dog

Exclamation any horse owners? I HAVE AN IMPORTANT QUESTION!!!!!

HI EVERYONE its been awhile since ive been online but i wanted ask a question to horse owners!!!

Well i bought me a 10 year old thoroughbred mare today. She is 16 HH the man in the background is 6 foot 4 so makes her look small lol she is very sound lively and has that get up and go attitude. but the thing i am concerned about is her weight. shes a little thin. her teeth are fine, and he said he feeds her alfalfa hay..she is also getting dewormed tomorrow.. soo what else can i possibly slip into her feedings to make her gain some weight? here are a few pictures.. what do you think of her? how much should i feed her or ask him to feed her for her to gain weight?

shes getting a bath A LONG NEEDED ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!

AFTER THE BATH DRYIN OFF
Old 10-03-2012, 11:23 PM
Top Dog

She isn't terrible, might be from stress. Good turnout and general feeding should be plenty.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:25 PM
Top Dog

She isn't all that underweight. Like Lyzelle said: general feeding and getting her settled in should do the trick.

"Only when the last tree is cut, only when the last river is polluted, only when the last fish is caught, will they realize that you can’t eat money." –Native American proverb
Old 10-04-2012, 05:22 AM
Top Dog

Has she seen a vet (not the old owner's) yet? That would be step number one. Have her teeth checked again, do a fecal.

What has she been eating? If she isn't accustomed to lots of concentrates, you will want to introduce them very, very slowly. Lots of super high quality forage is a great base to build on. Free choice, good quality grass hay. I'd slowly start adding in fat. Beet pulp is a great base to add oil to, or flax seed. My horse, when he's healthy, loves hay pellets, and they are great at soaking up some oil. Keep in mind, she may get much brighter as she gains weight.

I agree that she isn't horrifically thin. She's seriously lacking in muscle, and the way her topline looks is because of that as much as the lack of weight.

What has she been doing with her life? What are your plans for her?

Congrats on your new horse!

Old 10-04-2012, 06:04 AM
Just try me..

I second BB's advice. Lots of roughage and add concentrates slowly. Though I think keeping the alfalfa isnt' a bad idea, its more palatable and higher in calories than grass hay. Just watch out for excess energy, some horses get a bit crazy on alfalfa (so I hear none of mine ever have) Being a lively tb you might want to stay low sugar and high fat and fibre. I love tbs! And sometimes I find if you feed them more sugar (ie concentrates) they sometimes just run around more and jitter off the energy, where as extra fat and fibre keeps them stable with lots of calories.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:19 AM
Top Dog

I'd add a grain mix, but very gradually...a small, maybe 1/8, then 1/4 a coffee can full 2 times a day, then work up to about 1/3 a coffee can full 2x a day after her hay... See how that goes and you might need to adjust from there to 1/2 a can. Or maybe not. You have to wait and see how she looks and acts on it. Alfalfa will put the weight on better and as long as that's what she's been eating, and it doesn't appear too rich, I'd stay with that or if you add grain, make it an alfalfa-timothy mix or orchard grass mix. You don't want to do free choice though, with alfalfa. It's awfully rich and a horse can conceivably founder on too much of that or too much grain. How much has the previous owner been giving her of alfalfa? Flax seed is good too. I use to give my horses some wheat bran at certain times of their lives...good for stress...just a 1/3 a coffee can or so. (one of those larger, I think 2 lb coffee cans)

They probably make something better these days, since I had my horses. But there were times when I fed LMF and they make formulas designed for all kinds of things.

I agree that she isn't extremely thin, but you shouldn't see her ribs. And she needs muscle. I also agree with a vet check first. He/she can also advise you on the building up of your new horse. I think she's going to look very nice once she gets more in condition.

Congrats.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 10-04-2012, 03:52 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekka View Post
I second BB's advice. Lots of roughage and add concentrates slowly. Though I think keeping the alfalfa isnt' a bad idea, its more palatable and higher in calories than grass hay. Just watch out for excess energy, some horses get a bit crazy on alfalfa (so I hear none of mine ever have) Being a lively tb you might want to stay low sugar and high fat and fibre. I love tbs! And sometimes I find if you feed them more sugar (ie concentrates) they sometimes just run around more and jitter off the energy, where as extra fat and fibre keeps them stable with lots of calories.
I'm with Dekka. While I must admit I have easy keepers, thus no need for grain, horses are designed for forage, so I always start with increasing their grassh/hay intake first.

When I rehabbed my friend's underweight Arab, I did a fecal and dewormed him, put him on a digestive supplement (we suspected ulcers, as his former boarding stable had him a nervous wreck) and then started him on a ration balancer, alfalfa/timothy pellets, rice bran pellets (I soaked his feed about 20 minutes beforehand, as he had horrid teeth at that time...and also to reduce the risk of choke), hay (measured daily by weight), and had him out on our short (and drought-affected) pasture 20 hours a day.

I'm all for putting weight on slowly and correctly.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:01 PM
<------ CLAIM! ^_^

Cute cattle dog in the backround by the way

you could google "weight gaining supplements horses" for more options, but Clovite, super 14, & weight builder can help, there is also Platnium, but its pretty pricy. you can also stop in at horse supply/feed stores, they can also help you.

there is also lindseed, corn & soybean oil can also help. we gave this to a older stallion during the breeding season who wasnt being used for breeding that year but it still stresses them out, seeing the other stud go to the breeding shed, he started out looking like your mare & in a couple of months, he did a cpmplete turn around.

the most important thing is not overfeeding, start her out on the feed she is used to & the ammount she is used to until she settles in at your place (unless you have her on grass, which you will also have to limit if she isnt used to it, grasss can raise a horses gliceamic (spelling???) index & it can make them sick if they consume too much too quickly).

once she is settled in, if you want, you can switch her feed to something more plalible Glo for Life feed (the one avertised on RFD TV) is a good one, safe choice & Purina's equine senior (for older horses, but its very plalible) are also good but you will have to be slow when switching.

Old 10-04-2012, 09:10 PM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBanker View Post
Has she seen a vet (not the old owner's) yet? That would be step number one. Have her teeth checked again, do a fecal.

What has she been eating? If she isn't accustomed to lots of concentrates, you will want to introduce them very, very slowly. Lots of super high quality forage is a great base to build on. Free choice, good quality grass hay. I'd slowly start adding in fat. Beet pulp is a great base to add oil to, or flax seed. My horse, when he's healthy, loves hay pellets, and they are great at soaking up some oil. Keep in mind, she may get much brighter as she gains weight.

I agree that she isn't horrifically thin. She's seriously lacking in muscle, and the way her topline looks is because of that as much as the lack of weight.

What has she been doing with her life? What are your plans for her?

Congrats on your new horse!
THANK YOU EVERYONE! YOU ALL ARE VERY HELPFUL!

She was actually a race horse! she has her papers and everything. My plans right now are just pleasure riding. shes done alot of racing and i don't want to put her in that or push her like they usto because i don't want to stress her out. I'm also going to teach my nephews how to ride horses she is real calm and real good at commands a real good beginner horse i think.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:11 PM
Puppy Dog

oops and she was seen by the vet today also wormed.