Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 10-03-2012, 08:00 AM
<--------Orson

Default Family/Inlaws question...

We were watching something lately and it made me wonder if that's the way most people do it.........cause ya, we don't! LOL

For those of you who have or had inlaws: Do you do things together as one BIG family? I mean like all the inlaws (his parents & her parents) all together for Christmas, Thanksgiving, or just any kind of get together?

Events for the kids? Birthdays, graduations, sports, etc........sure. But really, anything else? No.

We go to his family's house at a certain time for a holiday, my family's house at a different set time for that holiday, and I can't imagine EVERYONE celabrating at the same house/time!

How do you guys work family/inlaw times and events? Together or separate?
Old 10-03-2012, 08:06 AM
Top Dog

My ex & I did a lot of things together as a big family (usually our parents, grandparents and siblings). Like camping trips and vacations. Our parents became great friends.

My mom and dad's families don't intermingle too much except for the birthday, graduation parties & our fourth of July party.

Crossbone - 2011 Cattle Pirate | Jack - 2004 Beaglador
Old 10-03-2012, 08:06 AM
such sights to show you

No. My parents and my in laws get along fine, but it's not something that I think would ever occur to anyone to do.

Right now my in-laws are living in a different state so of course that complicates things, but even if they were still here, I don't think it would happen.

Old 10-03-2012, 08:16 AM
<--------Orson

That's neat K9....the vacations and stuff. My family and his are quite different (taste and interest wise) so I couldn't see that happening with us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
No. My parents and my in laws get along fine, but it's not something that I think would ever occur to anyone to do.
Exactly. Our families get along just fine, they've never had a disagreement that I'm aware of.......but IMO, that's BECAUSE we don't socialize enough together for them to HAVE a disagreement! LOL
Old 10-03-2012, 08:21 AM
Top Dog

Because of logistics, no. My family is in upstate NY, and my husband's family is/was in NJ (well, until his parents moved to Florida in 1985 & all but one of his siblings followed them). And I still had younger siblings living home when we moved down here. Funny thing is- my mother used that as the excuse to not come down for Christmas, but every year we got a call expecting us to haul our preschooler up there for Christmas Day (OK, end of mother rant! LOL). Plus, the house lived in at camp wouldn't have held both our families. We did, tho, have "blow out" style cookouts for our oldest son's birthdays for awhile (once he started school, we did kids parties). There was only one year both of our families came, tho- my parents stopped coming because the 4H horse show fell the same weekend. What family my husband had left in NJ always came, tho.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:27 AM
<--------Orson

Ah Mick.....don't get me (and a lot of us) started on Mother rants! You don't have a corner on the market

For the record, my mom is almost an hour away. No kids at home and none for quite some time. She would tell us we had to come THERE for Christmas because it was 'easier' than her dragging all the gifts over here. Uh..........ok? We had to drag 5 kids (ages 11-1) AND all the gifts over there! I finally told her no more. It was easier for her to come here or we could just do a Christmas conference call! ROFL! That did the trick! hehehe
Old 10-03-2012, 08:29 AM
Top Dog

We don't intermingle much. But my in-laws live in Hawaii so when they are out here it's not for very long. They alternate Thanksgiving and Christmas out here so sometimes we do Christmas Eve with everyone. But that's mostly because my family has a long standing tradition for Xmas Eve and I absolutely hate to miss it. I try to compromise by inviting Matt's family and doing it at our house but it's hard.

Our families don't really mesh anyway - they get along great (which is awesome) but my family is outdoorsy and very mountain redneck, and Matt's is....not even a little bit. Lol.

I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013
Old 10-03-2012, 08:30 AM
Top Dog

My parents and in-laws get together and have parties without us.

Peco,
Male Lacy Game Dog
June 2003 - Feb. 2012

Hudson,
Male black & white English Shepherd
August 27th 2012

Blog - http://thedogreviews.blogspot.com/
Old 10-03-2012, 08:30 AM
Chihuahua Power!

Spending time with my parents AND inlaws?! You are hilarious!

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 10-03-2012, 08:31 AM
pointer/labrador/terrier

We all gather for a huge family ordeal..a couple days before Christmas so everyone can enjoy the children. The real holiday we stay home with our immediate family. This way great grandmother can see all her children and grans and greats in one place.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,