Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 10-03-2012, 12:16 PM
Top Dog

Heh, heh...my daughter went to visit her cousins in Chicago. When one of those cousins lived here in Seattle temporarily, she told Emily that Chicago traffic was worse than Seattle. My daughter said, "No way...nothing could be worse than Seattle." Well, her cousin just dropped it and waited for Emily to visit. And sure enough, she got to experience Chicago traffic and told me, "yep...it was wa-a-a-ay worse. LOL. It's hard to imagine. It's funny...downtown Seattle isn't really that bad most of the time. It's the freeways getting in and out that are bad. Up north, in the city I live in, at certain times of the day, I swear it's worse than downtown Seattle. And it's a smaller city...just not designed for the growth that has taken place in the last decade or two.

I wouldn't want to spend that many hours in my car either. It's nice when you can drive against traffic, like if your work hours are different from everyone else's.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 10-03-2012, 01:23 PM
Super-Genius

Reason #1 why I could never live/work in the NOVA/DC area. I have had really nice offers to go work for various .gov agencies because of my clearance/vet/geek status. Nope. LOL I recall a Sunday afternoon in July, coming back from Disney. 4 hours to go like 15 miles on 95. Absurd. I could walk faster than that. LOL

As convienient as the automobile is, they sure bring out the worst in people, eh? I know they bring out the worst in me.
Romans 8:28

R.I.P my beloved Teddy, my "squishy monster". You will never be forgotten.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:20 PM
Felurian

Driving 75 miles -- one way -- to work, on I-40 and I-75 everyday was . . . interesting. The patron saint of the Knoxville metro area is Our Lady of Perpetual Construction. I had several routes I could use, getting from here to LaFollette totally on surface roads. One morning of sitting on I-75N for 2 hours was enough.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 10-03-2012, 03:51 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBanker View Post
Have you called work to explain the situation? Stuff happens. They know that. But letting them know so they can adjust things is considerate.
Should be glad you don't work for me I don't buy the traffic excuse, and have given people **** for it before. Check traffic in the morning and leave accordingly to get to work on time is my rule CD

Traffic sucks. Glad you finally got there.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 10-03-2012, 03:59 PM
Owned by Belgians

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doberluv View Post
And sure enough, she got to experience Chicago traffic and told me, "yep...it was wa-a-a-ay worse. LOL.

Guess where I moved to after leaving Chicago...SEATTLE! I used to laugh when people complained about the traffic. LOL!

Not there anymore, though. No traffic where I live now. I have a 10 minute commute
Old 10-03-2012, 05:00 PM
We are Home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLough View Post
Should be glad you don't work for me I don't buy the traffic excuse, and have given people **** for it before. Check traffic in the morning and leave accordingly to get to work on time is my rule CD

You cant plan an accident though. Jeremy was headed home one night and should have been here about 2 hrs before he did. A house along the highway caught fire and the firetrucks had the road blocked and there isnt a detour.

Advice, most needed, is least heeded- Fortune Cookie

Old 10-03-2012, 05:08 PM
Top Dog

Ughh....that SUCKS. Traffic is definitely the worst part of living here.

The best gift I ever bought myself was a GPS with traffic updates on it. Now everytime there is an accident, it pops up and says "40 minute delay, alternate route found that is 27 minutes faster. Would you like to re-route?" Why yes, tom tom, I would...thank you for asking.

My life is SO MUCH LESS STRESSFUL thanks to that little device. Especially now that I'm in a job where it just isn't an option to be late. I used to be able to sneak in 15 minutes late to my desk job, but you can't get away with being 15 minutes late to a class of 30 13 year olds!
Old 10-03-2012, 05:11 PM
Felurian

If I wind up going back to commuting (which I really hope I do, working in Knoxville would get me the hell out of here), I'm definitely replacing my old CB. That kept me out of more hassles than anything. You not only know what traffic is coming up, but road conditions, and where the cops are hiding.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 10-03-2012, 05:18 PM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLough View Post

Not sure what it's like where you live, but out here even looking up the traffic report before you leave to make sure you leave on time isn't a guarantee to avoid you from running into the unexpected along the way. The traffic can be running smoothly while you're on the road and then wham bam it stops for some reason or another and often for no reason at all. People that live out here understand what I mean. I see more accidents on the roads out here than anywhere I've ever lived and a lot of people just can't drive worth a darn in these parts. Seriously, the Northern VA/DC area has some of the worse traffic in the entire US. I don't normally work this shift. I usually work 5:30am-1:30am or 11:30am-7:30pm and therefore avoid the major traffic times plus I always give myself more time then usually needed to get to work in the first place. It takes me 45 minutes on a given day to get to work. I usually leave an hour and a half early, yet I was still about 2 hours late. That gives you an idea how bad the traffic was. Luckily my boss is understanding of this area and she didn't care.
Itztli- Standard size coated Xoloitzcuintle
Old 10-03-2012, 05:22 PM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckstop31 View Post
Reason #1 why I could never live/work in the NOVA/DC area. I have had really nice offers to go work for various .gov agencies because of my clearance/vet/geek status. Nope. LOL I recall a Sunday afternoon in July, coming back from Disney. 4 hours to go like 15 miles on 95. Absurd. I could walk faster than that. LOL

As convienient as the automobile is, they sure bring out the worst in people, eh? I know they bring out the worst in me.

HAHAHA 95 seriously sucks a lot of the time. I use to have to make these long commutes every day for about 3 years when I used to work in McLean, VA. Vowed never again to get stuck with a job with that commute. You couldn't pay me enough. Now that we moved further away the commute sucks. The only reason why I haven't changed jobs yet is because we don't know where we are eventually going to get a house in the next few months. I'm hoping to move a little further away from this area though.
Itztli- Standard size coated Xoloitzcuintle