Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Pictures and Pet Photos

Old 03-21-2013, 06:53 PM
Top Dog

All you guys looks great! I cannot wait to get a dog to start disc with!!

I'll be adopting an adult dog, what are things I should be looking for in terms of structure, drive, temperament, etc.?

I think I'm mostly interested in Toss and Fetch, but elements of Freestyle interest me.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:59 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
All you guys looks great! I cannot wait to get a dog to start disc with!!

I'll be adopting an adult dog, what are things I should be looking for in terms of structure, drive, temperament, etc.?

I think I'm mostly interested in Toss and Fetch, but elements of Freestyle interest me.
Toy drive is a huge one!

As far as structure, you want a sound dog. Dogs that have longer backs tend to drag toes, squarely built dogs tend to pop more. For temperament, a reserved dog is going to have a harder time in a competition setting versus a dog that is unflappable about their surroundings.

Taboo, Zuma, Mighty Mouse, Zinga, Edgar, Zip Tie
Old 03-21-2013, 07:42 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraB View Post
Toy drive is a huge one!

As far as structure, you want a sound dog. Dogs that have longer backs tend to drag toes, squarely built dogs tend to pop more. For temperament, a reserved dog is going to have a harder time in a competition setting versus a dog that is unflappable about their surroundings.
Do you think it is better/safer to get a puppy from a good breeder as opposed to rescuing an adult dog?
I'm not big on puppies, and don't really want to wait a year for them to grow up to start working on big air throws and such.

I much prefer square built dogs to long dogs, so that's good.

Are injuries common? Is it necessary/good idea to factor physical therapy into my dog budget?
Old 03-21-2013, 07:46 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Do you think it is better/safer to get a puppy from a good breeder as opposed to rescuing an adult dog?
I'm not big on puppies, and don't really want to wait a year for them to grow up to start working on big air throws and such.

I much prefer square built dogs to long dogs, so that's good.

Are injuries common? Is it necessary/good idea to factor physical therapy into my dog budget?
Nah! I would go with an adolescent rescue. That way you can see toy drive, you can see temperament and you don't have to wait as long! I rescued Zuma around 10 months and it was perfect timing for sports.

To be honest, the majority of disc dogs out there are rescue dogs. As a community, it is really pro-rescue, which is great!

As long as you are jumping your dog smart and not playing over your head, there aren't very many injuries at all! Injuries happen when handlers have poor throws causing the dog to land bad, or if the dog just doesn't know how to jump/land properly. Or when people push their dog beyond their capabilities. So just be smart.

Old 03-21-2013, 08:11 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraB View Post
Nah! I would go with an adolescent rescue. That way you can see toy drive, you can see temperament and you don't have to wait as long! I rescued Zuma around 10 months and it was perfect timing for sports.

To be honest, the majority of disc dogs out there are rescue dogs. As a community, it is really pro-rescue, which is great!

As long as you are jumping your dog smart and not playing over your head, there aren't very many injuries at all! Injuries happen when handlers have poor throws causing the dog to land bad, or if the dog just doesn't know how to jump/land properly. Or when people push their dog beyond their capabilities. So just be smart.
Awesome! Thank you! Can't wait to get started. I'd likely go here http://www.allaboutdogs.ca/discdog.html for some classes as I'm not experienced as a sport dog handler, but at least I can throw a disc no problem.

Are Skyhoundz discs the same or similar to discs used in Ultimate?
Old 03-21-2013, 09:22 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Are Skyhoundz discs the same or similar to discs used in Ultimate?
You want to use a dog specific disc, but there are many different brands/types. It will all depend on your dog, their bite and your throwing for what you use.

Old 03-22-2013, 07:38 AM
The Monster.

What might you recommend for Cohen? She's never had a good full bite tug, and prefers to hook things behind her canines. She seems to prefer a lighter disc. My agility facility sells Jaws discs, so maybe I'll pick up a couple. They seem to cost an arm and a leg though! I imagine ordering online is a better option, but then I have to wait... How many should I get for a basic freestyle routine?

Thanks so much for the write up. That was very helpful. I'll want to go back and try some of that stuff out soon for sure. I think the zigzagging will be helpful, but I'm concerned I'll not get enough drive out of Cohen to really dig in and run to catch the subsequent ones. Maybe she'll surprise me! I'll figure it out when I finally get out to a field to see.

Cheynat's O' Lady Midnight CD RE ADC SGDC FDCh-S CGN HIC, Esq.
Megatron, Heat Vampire
Ci Da: Good Dog
Old 03-22-2013, 08:08 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekah View Post
What might you recommend for Cohen? She's never had a good full bite tug, and prefers to hook things behind her canines. She seems to prefer a lighter disc. My agility facility sells Jaws discs, so maybe I'll pick up a couple. They seem to cost an arm and a leg though! I imagine ordering online is a better option, but then I have to wait... How many should I get for a basic freestyle routine?
Jawz discs cost and arm and a leg because they are heavier discs built for hard biting dogs. They are one of the most durable discs out there.

I really like euroblend fastbacks or Hero Air's. They are light, easy to throw and cheap. The Air's are a bit more grippy but are softer overall.

Generally you will get the best price buying through a club as they get discounts for buying in bulk. I pay about $2/disc for fastbacks and Air's. The more durable discs like the Super Hero's or Jawz tend to be $8/disc or higher. If you are buying online, look for blemished discs, they are cheaper.

Old 03-22-2013, 08:53 AM
The Monster.

Cool! I'm excited to get started! Thanks for all the pointers.

How long do you suggest routines be? The length of a full song?

That also always stymies me -- picking the right music. Most of what I listen do isn't exactly upbeat danceable catchy stuff, but that's what works best at shows... Maybe my husband will help me find something fun. Is a 2 minute routine too long? Too short?

Cheynat's O' Lady Midnight CD RE ADC SGDC FDCh-S CGN HIC, Esq.
Megatron, Heat Vampire
Ci Da: Good Dog
Old 03-22-2013, 09:00 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekah View Post
Cool! I'm excited to get started! Thanks for all the pointers.

How long do you suggest routines be? The length of a full song?

That also always stymies me -- picking the right music. Most of what I listen do isn't exactly upbeat danceable catchy stuff, but that's what works best at shows... Maybe my husband will help me find something fun. Is a 2 minute routine too long? Too short?
Depends on the competition format and what level you are entered in. Generally novice levels have 1 minute or 90 second freestyle routines, 2 minutes for the Pro levels.

I pick songs that I like, that I can jam out to. I also pick based on my dog's personality, Zinga's song is by far more ridiculous than Zuma's is.

One good guide line that I've heard is to pick a song that has around 110-120 bpm.