Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Pictures and Pet Photos

Old 03-21-2013, 04:01 PM
Top Dog

There are two different game types in disc dog, Toss & Fetch and Freestyle. The training that goes into both is different as the games are completely different. However, a lot of the drills that help strengthen one game will ultimately help the other game as well. Generally what's needed for a good game of Toss & Fetch is a go-around, a nice throw and a quick retrieve to hand. There are a couple exercises such as setting the flank that can help the dog out though.

This would be my plan for working on a freestyle foundation.

For a dog that can catch a disc and has good drive for it, I would start with flatwork. Teaching go-arounds, ribbon work and rear crosses will help you learn to maneuver the dog around the field and place them where they need to be. Having this ability will create a freestyle routine that flows better and is more interesting to the judges and spectators as it's not just two dimensional.

This video has a great example of working the flank and rear crosses:

This video has ribbon work:

This video shows go arounds and other set up moves:

From there I would teach set up moves like scoots, throughs and spins. These are a great way to slow your dog down (collection!) and to put them where they need to be to complete a trick. Many sequences begin with one of those tricks or a variation of them.

After that I would work on simple sequences like Around the World and Zig-Zags. Both of those sequences will help the dog learn to catch multiple discs rather than focusing on just the one. It will also help you get your "drop" on cue. A couple other exercises that can help with drops is oppositional feeding and oppositional leading. Throw a disc out for the dog, the dog catches it, call a drop, mark the drop with a yes while throwing the next disc out. The difference between the two exercises is where you throw the disc; oppositional leading means you pick the dog's line of travel so the throw would be off of his original line. Oppositional feeding would mean the next disc is thrown on the dog's path of travel.

This video has Zig-Zags:

This video has oppositional feeding:

I would also be working on smaller tricks such as overs and flips. Timing and throws are 90% of freestyle, if you can't get that disc where it needs to be, when it needs to be, your whole trick is going to fall apart, not to mention the increased risk of injury to your dog. So those two tricks help you learn about timing and disc placement. Any new throw such as the throws needed for flips and overs should be practiced without a dog until you are consistent.

This video shows flips:

Now if you already have a bunch of tricks and different catches, you are ready to start to build sequences. Tricks are arranged into sequences that generally consist of 3-5 throws and then those sequences are arranged into a routine. Putting tricks on notecards and then picking 3-4 random notecards and arranging them in different orders can help you build sequences. Always think about the number of discs you need for each sequence and the flow of the sequence. When you go to teach a sequence, it's easiest to put "waits" in between each trick until you and the dog have the flow down.

This video shows the wait between tricks during sequence building:

Taboo, Zuma, Mighty Mouse, Zinga, Edgar, Zip Tie
Old 03-21-2013, 04:51 PM
Happy Meal. Yum.

We went to the field to work on disc stuff, but it was so windy and snowing half the time we couldn't do much. I was really off with my throwing as well, but I'm blaming that on the fact my fingers were so cold I couldn't feel the disc between them. lol

Anyways, a few video's. This is of a roller:
This show's me throwing them straight at the ground. David finally told me about it

So I threw them less "at" the ground and more "with" the ground lol

This one I actually threw it, but I only meant to throw it low, but somehow I got it up way too high. Despite my horrible throw, Talon caught it ^_^

Is there anyway to teach him to land better when he jumps or how to stop? He puts the breaks on immediately like he can turn on a dime, but he can't. Instead he rolls or slides. >_< When he jumps he jumps straight up and down instead of jumping with some horizontal speed and landing right. He lands all on his back legs and I worry he will hurt himeslf. Any pointers?
Old 03-21-2013, 05:21 PM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babyblue5290 View Post

Is there anyway to teach him to land better when he jumps or how to stop? He puts the breaks on immediately like he can turn on a dime, but he can't. Instead he rolls or slides. >_< When he jumps he jumps straight up and down instead of jumping with some horizontal speed and landing right. He lands all on his back legs and I worry he will hurt himeslf. Any pointers?
I like your "with the ground" roller, very nice!!

To your last question, my best suggestion would be lower, faster, flat throws to help him with his jumping. Higher, slow, sloped throws allow the dog time to slow down and get under the disc to wait. Usually they answer that with popping straight up and landing straight down (a pogo jump). In contrast, a lower, faster flat throw would make him run to the disc instead of waiting for it, and his speed would force that extra stride or two needed to turn around safely. As he gets better about catching the disc in stride, you can move to higher and higher throws.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:37 PM
Top Dog

Nice go arounds! Talon is so much bigger than I had him pictured in my head!

Totally agree with Dex.

Old 03-21-2013, 05:56 PM
Happy Meal. Yum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex View Post
I like your "with the ground" roller, very nice!!

To your last question, my best suggestion would be lower, faster, flat throws to help him with his jumping. Higher, slow, sloped throws allow the dog time to slow down and get under the disc to wait. Usually they answer that with popping straight up and landing straight down (a pogo jump). In contrast, a lower, faster flat throw would make him run to the disc instead of waiting for it, and his speed would force that extra stride or two needed to turn around safely. As he gets better about catching the disc in stride, you can move to higher and higher throws.
Thank you

That makes 100% perfect sense! It's been really windy lately, I think I need a heavier disc so I can throw it better in the wind. The light disc is great for him to catch, but the wind catches it so easily. I also need to work more on my throwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraB View Post
Nice go arounds! Talon is so much bigger than I had him pictured in my head!

Totally agree with Dex.
Thanks, been working on his go arounds a lot, seems to be paying off. Only issue with that is speed, he sometimes goes around just at a "lalalala I've got nothing to do" pace lol We are working on speed. I've been telling him to go around and then holding the frisbee up for him to grab and encouraging him to grab it. Seems to be helping a bit. Anymore suggestions is great as well

LOL really? Bigger?? Remember, I'm a super small person, 5'1'' .... barely. >_< He is actually within range for border collies as far as height on the AKC website. He is 18'' at the shoulders, but only 22 lbs as of this morning. He is such a skinny boy, but I think disc has been helping. He's gaining some muscle
Old 03-21-2013, 05:58 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Thanks, been working on his go arounds a lot, seems to be paying off. Only issue with that is speed, he sometimes goes around just at a "lalalala I've got nothing to do" pace lol We are working on speed. I've been telling him to go around and then holding the frisbee up for him to grab and encouraging him to grab it. Seems to be helping a bit. Anymore suggestions is great as well

LOL really? Bigger?? Remember, I'm a super small person, 5'1'' .... barely. >_< He is actually within range for border collies as far as height on the AKC website. He is 18'' at the shoulders, but only 22 lbs as of this morning. He is such a skinny boy, but I think disc has been helping. He's gaining some muscle
Doing the rollers after the arounds will help amp up his speed.

Oh! He's really not big at all! The video is deceiving. LOL

Old 03-21-2013, 06:02 PM
Happy Meal. Yum.

Quote:
Doing the rollers after the arounds will help amp up his speed.

Oh! He's really not big at all! The video is deceiving. LOL
It really is, he is so tiny! I never thought of BC's as being this small honestly.

Ok, so just doing more rollers. I always wait for Tal to make it to my left side before throwing the rollers, should I throw as he starts going around or keep waiting for him to get to my left side first?
Old 03-21-2013, 06:04 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
It really is, he is so tiny! I never thought of BC's as being this small honestly.

Ok, so just doing more rollers. I always wait for Tal to make it to my left side before throwing the rollers, should I throw as he starts going around or keep waiting for him to get to my left side first?
Throw them as he's coming around, you don't want him waiting if you are trying to build speed! Get him driving around you, chasing that disc right away.

Old 03-21-2013, 06:05 PM
Happy Meal. Yum.

Quote:
Throw them as he's coming around, you don't want him waiting if you are trying to build speed! Get him driving around you, chasing that disc right away.
Ok, that's what I was doing wrong. I was waiting for him so he'd get around and then have to wait for me to throw it! Thank you! You guys are so awesome, I'd never figure this out by myself
Old 03-21-2013, 06:16 PM
Top Dog

Here's an old video of Zinga doing puppy stuff last fall. Note where I'm throwing the disc, as she's going around so that when she gets to my side, the disc is leaving my hand.