Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Pictures and Pet Photos

Old 11-06-2013, 12:10 PM
Silence, peasants.

Today I discovered Feist is an absolute disc monster, we did some rollers in the yard (and for the first time ever, she retrieved). Can't wait for her to get big so we can start training.

Feistea, ze Blog
Old 11-06-2013, 03:08 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pintage View Post
I don't know how often model-rival training works for dogs in general, but I found that it works really really well for Lugia (I don't train Circus this way, I think there's just some aspect of Lugia's personality that makes m-r training work). Like, Lugia never used to like chasing and retrieving balls. She'd look at me all "You threw it, you get it!" But once she saw another Silken chase/retrieve tennis balls, she became obsessed... just watching this dog fetch for 10 minutes somehow turned her into a ball-crazy dog o_o
This is how Summit first learned how to go through a tunnel. We had it scrunched right down short and we had treats and were trying to lure him through, and he just wouldn't go. So we ran my friend's young GSD through and I swear Summit was like "Well if that little twerp can do it, so can I!" and that was the end of that.

But I'd have to find a dog that likes playing disc first because I don't know any right now.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds:
Summit (BBF Dropout) - Retired from racing, not life
Kili (Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly) - Walking dreamer
Future Puppy - Coming ~2016-2017
Old 11-07-2013, 11:15 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieDog View Post
Indy is showing considerable interest in the disc now, but either I throw to fast (Ozzy is a fast dog, and reaches the disc in time to catch it in the air, Indy does not) or she needs to build up some speed.

Is there a way to throw the disc so that it floats a bit slower? She's gotten really good at up close catches, but she's very pawsy and tries to shove the disc into her mouth with her feet

Is there also some way to improve eye/mouth coordination? She's gotten pretty good at close throws (five to seven feet away from me) but further out and she loses it. She keeps her eye on it, but she can't seem to connect. Is this just a practice issue?

This is all new to me. Ozzy was born knowing how to catch a disc flying mid air and he gets some big air. There's a vid on my FB if anyone is interested. I tagged Linds, but I'm not sure if she saw it.

Also, what's the dog situation like at comps? Ozzy isn't a fan of other dogs very much, and I don't want to set his reactivity issue back with flooding him with dogs.
Anyone? Bueller?

Indy's improving slowly, but she's also having to learn that she can't bring the disc back if she's standing on it
Old 11-07-2013, 11:54 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Anyone? Bueller?

Indy's improving slowly, but she's also having to learn that she can't bring the disc back if she's standing on it
Onyx did that for a while (still does, but a lot less often, thankfully!), and it took her a while to figure out catching and then catching longer throws...I would be inclined to say just give her some time and she'll figure a lot of it out. But I am by no means an expert on the subject!
Old 11-08-2013, 01:59 AM
Rude and Not Ginger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kootenay View Post
Onyx did that for a while (still does, but a lot less often, thankfully!), and it took her a while to figure out catching and then catching longer throws...I would be inclined to say just give her some time and she'll figure a lot of it out. But I am by no means an expert on the subject!
Thank you!

I started out with rollers, but she was so driven for the disc that I ended up just doing short throws, and the throws that turn into flips. She catches those fine, and tonight she was less "LET ME SHOVE IT INTO MY MOUTH" than yesterday. She also appreciates tugging on the disc quite a bit, so there's no lack of drive. I think it's a lack of coordination.

She still doesn't reach a flying disc in time to catch it in the air, and when she does she usually waits for it to land. I don't reward those with tugging, but if she does snag it out of the air I reward with tugging. I praise heavily for even fetching a disc from the ground though, but no tugging. I make her drop it when she gets to me. She likes the tugging quite a bit.
Old 11-08-2013, 10:08 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Thank you!

I started out with rollers, but she was so driven for the disc that I ended up just doing short throws, and the throws that turn into flips. She catches those fine, and tonight she was less "LET ME SHOVE IT INTO MY MOUTH" than yesterday. She also appreciates tugging on the disc quite a bit, so there's no lack of drive. I think it's a lack of coordination.

She still doesn't reach a flying disc in time to catch it in the air, and when she does she usually waits for it to land. I don't reward those with tugging, but if she does snag it out of the air I reward with tugging. I praise heavily for even fetching a disc from the ground though, but no tugging. I make her drop it when she gets to me. She likes the tugging quite a bit.
I had so many little panics with Onyx where she hadn't figured something out yet and I was sure she was NEVER going to get it...but then like 2 days later she's a pro. I imagine Indy will probably figure out she can catch the long throws pretty soon!
Old 11-08-2013, 10:17 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Indy is showing considerable interest in the disc now, but either I throw to fast (Ozzy is a fast dog, and reaches the disc in time to catch it in the air, Indy does not) or she needs to build up some speed.

Work on throwing the disc shorter distances and with a lot of spin so that it hovers before falling to the ground. This will help Indy learn to catch it!

Is there a way to throw the disc so that it floats a bit slower? She's gotten really good at up close catches, but she's very pawsy and tries to shove the disc into her mouth with her feet

I like to teach hover throws by placing a chair about 10-15 yards from me and see if I can float the disc above the chair and have it land directly below into it. A LOT of spin is needed, you get that from the wrist snap, not from the actual arm motion of throwing.

Is there also some way to improve eye/mouth coordination? She's gotten pretty good at close throws (five to seven feet away from me) but further out and she loses it. She keeps her eye on it, but she can't seem to connect. Is this just a practice issue?

Learning to throw where it hovers will help tremendously. Otherwise, work takes up high to encourage her to learn to jump to grab the disc. It will get better with practice. Also, make a huge deal about catches, don't take them for granted.

This is all new to me. Ozzy was born knowing how to catch a disc flying mid air and he gets some big air. There's a vid on my FB if anyone is interested. I tagged Linds, but I'm not sure if she saw it.

Also, what's the dog situation like at comps? Ozzy isn't a fan of other dogs very much, and I don't want to set his reactivity issue back with flooding him with dogs.

There are a lot of reactive dogs at comps. The field is typically not fenced and there are typically dogs walking around the sidelines, however they are generally under control and with their handlers. As long as your dog can focus and stay with you while playing, it's not a big deal. You can always play on a long line at your first few comps to get a better feel for how your dog will handle the situation. Around here though, everyone is typically good about not letting their dog's go say hi to another.
Answers in purple!
Old 11-08-2013, 10:19 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by krissy View Post
Now... when you say to limit tugging, we don't play tug for 3-5 minutes straight, I use it to reward her for chasing after the disc, catching it, etc. So whatever we're doing (rollers, throws, etc) I encourage her to bring the disc back to me and we tug for a couple seconds, then I throw it again. But now the problem is that she is reluctant to tug when she brings it back. Do I just throw it again? Give her a food reward? I tried switching to something she can tug with as the reward for chasing, catching, and returning the disc... but that just made her lose complete interest in the disc.
If she doesn't want to tug with certain discs, I wouldn't push the issue too much until she is more comfortable with those discs. Rollers are a great option for a reward! Food rewards are good too, I like to fade those out quickly though. I wouldn't switch to another disc, because of the issue you pointed out.
Old 11-08-2013, 10:20 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pintage View Post
This is probably terrible advice, but I struggled for months trying to get Lugia into disc (she's also a sighthound). I mean, she'd catch discs and retrieve them for me but it wasn't exactly the most thrilling thing for her. She also didn't like tugging on plastic discs, either. The thing that REALLY made things click for her was watching other dogs play disc. Probably anthropomorphizing here, but I think of Lugia as a really competitive dog, so after she watched this dog play disc, I immediately threw one for Lugia and she SPRINTED after it (with a gusto I'd never seen before), did a flying leap and caught it midair. Since then, she's been crazy about catching discs. I'd play tug using a plastic disc with Circus, Lugia would come and play tug too, even though she never liked plastic... she even makes a point of tugging harder than Circus and tries to rip the disc from my hand and commences "killing" it...

I don't know how often model-rival training works for dogs in general, but I found that it works really really well for Lugia (I don't train Circus this way, I think there's just some aspect of Lugia's personality that makes m-r training work). Like, Lugia never used to like chasing and retrieving balls. She'd look at me all "You threw it, you get it!" But once she saw another Silken chase/retrieve tennis balls, she became obsessed... just watching this dog fetch for 10 minutes somehow turned her into a ball-crazy dog o_o
GREAT advice!
Old 11-08-2013, 10:21 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Anyone? Bueller?

Sorry! I haven't had a chance to reply to anything this week, crazy busy! See my answers above.