Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Pictures and Pet Photos

Old 07-23-2013, 03:13 PM
Happy Meal. Yum.

You guys are so awesome, I loved watching the video (we need moar of those lol).

Linds, Talon is similair to Traveler with over excitement problems. He gets there and goes "ZOMFG ther are far too many thing to see!" lol We went to a really small competition just a week or so ago and I was so nervous. So I know how that feels! Also, long lines are the devil!

As far as disc progress we haven't been able to do anything with Talon since he hurt himself. We are giving it a few more days now that he's walking normally, but I'm not sure if I want to go to the competition in August 10th or not. hmm..
Old 07-23-2013, 04:24 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linds View Post
but it was pure laziness on my part that got her dropping it early.
Ha, how do you think I ended up with that problem I know your pain

end of August huh? I think I was shooting for a trial then 17th maybe? But I'm thinking i'm going to have to wait. I don't think I'll have tracking where I want it to be.
Old 07-23-2013, 04:42 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by release the hounds View Post
Ha, how do you think I ended up with that problem I know your pain

end of August huh? I think I was shooting for a trial then 17th maybe? But I'm thinking i'm going to have to wait. I don't think I'll have tracking where I want it to be.
We're trialing that weekend for BH (Kastle) and IPO I (Pan).
Old 07-23-2013, 04:52 PM
Top Dog

what trial?
Old 07-23-2013, 05:07 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by release the hounds View Post
what trial?
Trial is in Myrtle Beach, Randall Hoadley is judging...can't remember club name but I can look

ETA: North Beach Schutzhund Club
Old 08-07-2013, 03:45 PM
Happy Meal. Yum.

So for you disc people I have a question. Whenever I tell Talon to "go around" I have always had him go around from my right to my left side. I am right handed and throw the disc right handed. Someone commented at the last disc dog competition that if I throw right handed I should have the dog go around from left to right.

So, what's your opinion? Which way does your dog typically go around and what hand do you throw with?
Old 08-07-2013, 03:57 PM
Twin 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babyblue5290 View Post
So for you disc people I have a question. Whenever I tell Talon to "go around" I have always had him go around from my right to my left side. I am right handed and throw the disc right handed. Someone commented at the last disc dog competition that if I throw right handed I should have the dog go around from left to right.

So, what's your opinion? Which way does your dog typically go around and what hand do you throw with?
I don't know what's technically correct but I taught them to go around whatever side I gesture to. My default though is going around from the right and exiting from the left. Felt more right to me
Old 08-07-2013, 04:00 PM
Top Dog

Around for us is always from Right to left and I throw with my right. That's interesting though! I never thought about it. He's most comfortable going that way - but I do admit I should be working on both directions lol

Jack- 2004 Beaglador | Crossbone - 2011 Cattle Pirate
Old 08-07-2013, 04:23 PM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babyblue5290 View Post

Dex has a terrible catch ratio if I'm doing toss and catch and have her go around from left to right (I throw right handed). She's much, much better at right to left for her go around. We do both ways during freestyle, but I think that's a little different since I'm not asking her for a straight out run in those cases.

I've heard it has something to do with the spin on the disc and the direction your dog comes from. If they have a wide outrun, you'll notice more of a difference. Think about the way the disc is rotating as your dog comes towards it from the left or the right.
Old 08-07-2013, 05:33 PM
Happy Meal. Yum.

Thanks for the input! I definitely feel better running him from right to left, tried a few from left to right and when he got the hang of it, it still didn't feel right.

Dex, I can see what you're saying. When I throw the disc it has a tendency to swing a bit to the right so he would have an easier time catching it and being in the right place if he went from left to right. So I'll try to keep working on the other direction as well and maybe with some more practice that will be more helpful for us, who knows.

Saturday is another competition (D/A of course lol) so we are preparing.

Any Tips? Video from today