Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Pictures and Pet Photos

Old 04-23-2013, 11:09 AM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraB View Post
LOL, great teacher even though I caused Dex to ram her head into the wall?? "Just try it against a wall, the pressure of the wall will force her collect!"
Well she does collect now!! HAHA
Old 04-23-2013, 02:49 PM
Happy Meal. Yum.

Thanks SaraB for the list! That's super helpful, I printed it out and am going to put it in my doggy bag so I can make sure to have a plan each day.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:30 PM
The Monster.

Uploading some photos of our recent disc excursion. I brought my husband so he could handle the dog while I handled the camera. It was chill, but so sunny.

Cohen tires out really fast, but I think we're both pretty out of shape after a long, cold and busy winter. We're working on some vaults and catching a disc from a back stall, but progress is slow. Her vault is super new, and it's more of a flip brushing my side than a real "vault" off my body. We're working on it though.

Cheynat's O' Lady Midnight CD RE ADC SGDC FDCh-S CGN HIC, Esq.
Megatron, Heat Vampire
Ci Da: Good Dog
Old 04-23-2013, 05:26 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekah View Post
Cohen tires out really fast, but I think we're both pretty out of shape after a long, cold and busy winter. We're working on some vaults and catching a disc from a back stall, but progress is slow. Her vault is super new, and it's more of a flip brushing my side than a real "vault" off my body. We're working on it though.
Great pics!

About the tiring out fast. Generally disc seems to be a lot more hard on dogs than other sports. I can generally do a 15 minute session in agility with either girl before they are tired, but we only do 7ish minute sessions of disc. It's better to keep them even shorter if you are trying to build drive in a dog, 5 minutes max.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:57 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babyblue5290 View Post
Thanks SaraB for the list! That's super helpful, I printed it out and am going to put it in my doggy bag so I can make sure to have a plan each day.
THIS! Thanks so much for that!

Disc is the thing I am absolutely most excited to get into with futurepuppy. The waiting is killlllling me! Even once I have puppy, there'll be lots of growing up to do.

I've started some of the foundation stuff with Yarrow just for the fun of it (he has absolutely zero interest in frisbees, except as tug toys), I figure it is good practice for me.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:51 PM
Top Dog

Yes, thank you!!

Good to know its not just Crossbone who gets tired fast-- his body gets tired before he's "ready" to stop and I always have to be the bad guy who ends the game. I'm not sure that he'd ever stop. I've actually set a timer so I don't overdo it.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:07 PM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9krazee View Post
Yes, thank you!!

Good to know its not just Crossbone who gets tired fast-- his body gets tired before he's "ready" to stop and I always have to be the bad guy who ends the game. I'm not sure that he'd ever stop. I've actually set a timer so I don't overdo it.
The nice thing about ending the game before they are ready to stop is that it always leaving them wanting more more more!
Old 04-25-2013, 07:57 PM
Happy Meal. Yum.

Sekah, great pics! I'm kind of jealous of you guys and your adult dogs. Talon is still young so we haven't really done vaulting, and I'm so impatient to start!

whoo, 2 weeks till the disc competition! ^_^ ....(well, technically it's 2 weeks and 2 days, but i'm not counting those two days lol)

We've been working on his distance since it's D/A competition, he is doing so well! He caught a disc that was over 40ft away ^_^
Old 05-07-2013, 10:39 PM
Happy Meal. Yum.

Has anyone done a distance and accuracy competition??

What did you get in your first comp? Do you do one round or two? What was the winning score, if you remember?

I'm going to one this Saturday with Talon! I'm so nervous. We went to the park and did two 60 second trial runs and I think he did pretty good.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:28 AM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babyblue5290 View Post
Has anyone done a distance and accuracy competition??

What did you get in your first comp? Do you do one round or two? What was the winning score, if you remember?

I'm going to one this Saturday with Talon! I'm so nervous. We went to the park and did two 60 second trial runs and I think he did pretty good.
I'd say don't worry about the scores, go into looking to have a great time with your dog

The scores also depend on the field set up. A 30y catch could be 1-2-3 points depending on how the field is drawn. Some places do out of bounds, some do not. Novice usually gets one round, while Pro gets two.

Typically, once you start to develop a T/C game, you want to get at least five throws in during your 60 seconds. However, with my older dog, we get in three IF we are lucky because he showboats and I'm okay with that (he's having a good time, and that's what I want to see). He'll score anywhere from 1-3 points. Dex scores higher and I think her best was a combined two round score of 15. Her first ever T/C competition was at 10 months old and she score 1 point in Novice and took home 3rd place... placement all depends on who else shows up :P