Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 12-23-2004, 03:18 AM
Terrier Lover!

Barking... now I do know ALL about that... but not how to stop it!

Lucy has always been a barker if she thinks she isn't getting enough attention (and such a JRT thing to do!) She has gotten worse since going blind (but just think she is more sensitive to sounds now) but Holly is also barking more when she does go outside (and she is normally very quiet.)

I do think they are barking more just because of the bad weather, and not being able to go to the dog park everyday like they do in the spring/summer/fall (and I don't have a barking problem at all then.)

I think they are just BORED out of their minds... and fetching a tennis ball down a 25' hallway indoors over and over just doesn't do the trick for them! The barking is just SO much fun right now, for their pleasure & entertainment, LOL!

Old 12-23-2004, 07:57 AM
Felurian

Have you tried getting Lucy and Holly a puzzle ball, Karen? I sent one to my sister's Jack Russell and they have to limit his play time with it because he will run it up and down the hallway until his tongue hangs out and he's foaming at the mouth - and that's before they put any treats in it!

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 12-24-2004, 05:27 AM
Terrier Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il
Have you tried getting Lucy and Holly a puzzle ball, Karen? I sent one to my sister's Jack Russell and they have to limit his play time with it because he will run it up and down the hallway until his tongue hangs out and he's foaming at the mouth - and that's before they put any treats in it!
Yes, I've bought several puzzle/treat balls. Holly has no interest in them, and Lucy doesn't have as much patience for them now that she is blind (and didn't have much when she could see!) They do love kongs filled w/peanut butter etc. But I try not to do this too much, since it is a lot of extra calories for Lucy. Many dogs that go blind from SARDS have a weight problem, but so far she is doing okay with her weight. I think another reason the puzzle/treat balls are not more exciting is, both dogs are "snack eaters" all day, instead of eating a meal all at once. The dry treats in the balls don't seem real exciting when they already have a bowl of kibble whenever they want it!