Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 10-02-2012, 07:19 PM
I'm All Ears

Default Yard manners

Okay so this is a new realm for me. I've either never had a yard or lived on acreage with my guys so we never had a house that backed up to other houses.

My neighbor behind me seems to have gotten a dog or gotten a girlfriend with a dog. Either way there is an ACD parked in their backyard all the time. Mia is not pleased. So she and the ACD bark and bark at each other. The ACD eventually bores but likes to come up and stare through the slats in the fence, which Mia does not like at all.

Basically, Mia's a brat and won't get over the dog being in the yard behind us. She must bark at every little thing it does. I go out with her and try to stop the barking but it's not working so well. What would you do?

Summer is perfect though and could care less about the ACD.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:42 PM
Behavior Nerd

Look At That Game!!! Use that dog as a great training distraction. Start with Mia leashed, to make things easier, but treat it just like any other major distraction you run into in another location.

Old 10-02-2012, 08:50 PM
& the Muttly Crew

I'd start with look at that, like stardogs said. I don't have a fence right now and if you think of our house in the middle of a row of five, the first house has two fenced outdoor dogs (efence), the next has indoor/outdoor cats that run about their yard (no fence), us, then no pets, then an outdoor tethered dog who barks, then (okay six houses) a place with a new pup who lives outdoors in a hutch and yowls and howls.

LAT was my friend when I moved here, shall I say.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 10-02-2012, 09:22 PM
Top Dog

Even just going to the fenceline with a chair and a book (weather permitting) and the offending dog on leash seems to help them clue in. Grew up on the top of a hill that overlooked the main walking path to/from different areas and the short cut was right along the fenceline...