Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 10-01-2012, 03:26 AM
Barbara!'s Avatar
Barbara! Barbara! is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,457
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazwell View Post
Wow. I can't believe how critical this thread became so quickly... When I read it, I thought the behavior sounded way out of hand, but it just seemed like you were pointing out the slightly strange mannerisms of a fila! I figured you were less critical because you know the dog personally...
Yeah, I'm not sure why everyone got their panties in a wad, either.

Loosen up, Chazhound, she was just sharing an experience. Geez.
__________________
"I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself." -D.H. Lawrence

"Only when the last tree is cut, only when the last river is polluted, only when the last fish is caught, will they realize that you can’t eat money." –Native American proverb
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 10-01-2012, 05:30 AM
Danefied's Avatar
Danefied Danefied is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Southeast
Posts: 1,722
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephyMei1112 View Post
And if it is your definition of a double standard I don't care - but I won't discredit her over this one time. If however I witness other episodes of ill behavior from her - trust me, I will be just as 'harsh' on her and her person as I have been on smaller dogs in previous threads.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephyMei1112 View Post
If you say/believe I have a double standard then that's completely fine
Here we go with the “my” definition vs. “your” definition. The attitude you are posting with is THE definition of a double standard!

You have excused the exact same behavior in a Fila that you condemned in a little dog. Every excuse and explanation you made for the Fila and her owner could have just as easily applied to the little dogs and rescue dogs yet didn’t.

You do have a double standard and it is in no way “fine".
Double standards are the things breedism, racism, sexism, bigotry and general intolerance and hate are born of, and not okay no mater how you try to cloak them.
__________________
"We become better trainers by refusing to swallow uncritically what is tossed to us as truth,
by developing our powers of empathy and observation,
and by searching for better ways to teach and educate the dogs we love."
~Suzanne Clothier
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 10-01-2012, 05:41 AM
BostonBanker's Avatar
BostonBanker BostonBanker is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Vermont
Posts: 8,258
Default

Quote:
Again - how do I know if her handler wasn't deeply upset by this incident or that it wasn't just something she was fearful of/freaked out by and that they aren't working on making sure that it doesn't happen again? I don't. It's not the benefit of the doubt to me but rather that I do not have enough 'evidence' to say that she's horrible.
You know because he didn't *leave*. If either one of my dogs (rescues, believe it or not) charged across a store barking, I'd be red faced and out the door in half a second. If my dogs knocked over an entire container of treats, I'd be bolting for the car with the dogs, and then coming back to pay for a new bag of treats to fill the container.

I have a huge double standard with dogs. If you own one big enough to cause serious physical damage to me or my dogs, it better be towing the line full time. I don't care if it is a LGD who is bred to be independent, or a Majickal Brazilian Fila who clearly belongs to its own species and gets a whole special level of behaviors.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 10-01-2012, 05:41 AM
StephyMei1112's Avatar
StephyMei1112 StephyMei1112 is offline
Blackout
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: No fixed abode.
Posts: 922
Default

Ahem, I said - "if you think I have a double standard then fine." as in "fine, if you think I do have one then so be it - I'm not going to try and convince you otherwise if you think I do.". You're entitled to think whatever you like about me - it's not my job to chase after you and convince you that I'm up to your moral/ethical standard. That's all.
__________________
Feudin' and fightin' and a-fussin,'
That's all that's goin' on with us'n!
We are such neighborly people, peaceful and sweet!
All except when we happen to meet.


Stories, Poetry, and Musings
http://inugami1112.wordpress.com/

"And it's all been lost before, so there's nothing to lose..."


"There are those that love dogs insanely and those that don't. But once you like a dog, you're sunk. You're a dog person for life."

UKC Kuvasz Standard
AKC Kuvasz Standard
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 10-01-2012, 06:28 AM
Laurelin's Avatar
Laurelin Laurelin is offline
I'm All Ears
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 29,536
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLough View Post
ETA: I'm sure everybody read the "something unusual" part of the post, but the fact that you posted it all LOL GUYS GUESS WHAT THIS DOG DID LOL is what people are reacting to
Oh yep. If it were one of the other groups of dogs, would you have posted it in this way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazwell View Post
Wow. I can't believe how critical this thread became so quickly... When I read it, I thought the behavior sounded way out of hand, but it just seemed like you were pointing out the slightly strange mannerisms of a fila! I figured you were less critical because you know the dog personally...

I don't think we're overreacting. The OP has had several threads about how people should never have dogs that aren't under control. Those little ankle biters are horrible. Rescue dog owners just make excuses for their dog's behavior.

Oh hey guys this fila is so silly when it's dragging people around a store and reactively barking at everyone! Aren't filas unique?

Sorry for calling out a blatant double standard.
__________________
Mia CGC - (5 year old Papillon)
Summer TG3 TIAD - (10 year old Papillon)
Hank - (approx. 10 month old Spotty Dog)
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 10-01-2012, 07:45 AM
sassafras's Avatar
sassafras sassafras is offline
such sights to show you
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 5,756
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara! View Post
Yeah, I'm not sure why everyone got their panties in a wad, either.

Loosen up, Chazhound, she was just sharing an experience. Geez.
And other people were just sharing their opinions. If one is gonna dish it out about rescues and small dogs, one should be prepared to take it when it comes to large breeds.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 10-01-2012, 07:46 AM
AdrianneIsabel's Avatar
AdrianneIsabel AdrianneIsabel is offline
Glutton for Crazy
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 8,893
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara! View Post
Yeah, I'm not sure why everyone got their panties in a wad, either.

Loosen up, Chazhound, she was just sharing an experience. Geez.
The reaction is to the repeated threads of the similar nature "my opinion is more valid than yours, even if it is a double standard generalization and insulting to others".

I would like to think this was a fun thread, seriously, but I'm not sure how this is anything about FILAs. I mean, I have a lab who barges into my work like this, she's there to be trained out of such horrific behavior, not smiled or seen as special because of her breed. I also have a schnauzer who does this and finally I told the owner she must get that under control or she'll never be able to trial in agility, it's a rude and obnoxious dog that looks vicious, it would be asked to leave a trial before it ever hit the ring.

It's bad dog behavior, not lab, not terrier, not fila behavior. It must be dealt with and not humored as such.

Given the choice Shamoo would act like it everywhere, she loves to bellow at people and she would drag me to every treat everywhere. She is a pit bull, can you imagine the horror people would have seeing that?
__________________
Sloan von Krigbaum IPO1 CGC BH CD NA NJ PD MJ-N RATI RATN 3/7/10 -
Shamoo NJ-N RATI RATN 3/1/98 -
Phelan du Loups du Soleil CGC RATI 6/15/13 -
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.


Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 10-01-2012, 08:14 AM
~Jessie~'s Avatar
~Jessie~ ~Jessie~ is offline
Chihuahua Power!
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 19,611
Default

I'd be so embarrassed if ANY of my dogs acted like that. Going into a petstore/doggy bakery is a reward for good behavior. If any of my dogs ever acted like my dogs, I would immediately leave the store. It's not cute or funny- it's BAD behavior, no matter what the breed is.

Your posts are full of double standards. Small dogs are badly behaved ankle biters. Filas are these magical, hilarious dogs when they're acting inappropriately in stores. If one of my chihuahuas were to do that, this thread would be entirely different.
__________________

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 10-01-2012, 08:28 AM
MandyPug's Avatar
MandyPug MandyPug is offline
Sport Model Pug
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Southern Alberta
Posts: 5,223
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara! View Post
Yeah, I'm not sure why everyone got their panties in a wad, either.

Loosen up, Chazhound, she was just sharing an experience. Geez.
The reason this bothers me is that I've worked on the public side of the pet industry for about 5 years now and behaviour like the dog is showing appals me. Yes kicking out a customer is a potential sales loss, but I need to look out for the safety of EVERYONE in my store not to mention keeping my stock undamaged; because if those customers leave because of being "roared" at by a Fila or any other dog or my stock is damaged because the dog helps them self to it, that's money lost too. I can tell you right now that if this was not a Fila but still a dog she knew, she wouldn't be as forgiving. Or if it was a child even.
__________________

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 10-01-2012, 08:34 AM
~Jessie~'s Avatar
~Jessie~ ~Jessie~ is offline
Chihuahua Power!
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 19,611
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyPug View Post
The reason this bothers me is that I've worked on the public side of the pet industry for about 5 years now and behaviour like the dog is showing appals me. Yes kicking out a customer is a potential sales loss, but I need to look out for the safety of EVERYONE in my store not to mention keeping my stock undamaged; because if those customers leave because of being "roared" at by a Fila or any other dog or my stock is damaged because the dog helps them self to it, that's money lost too. I can tell you right now that if this was not a Fila but still a dog she knew, she wouldn't be as forgiving. Or if it was a child even.
It's okay because it's a fila, though. They're real dogs- same with all the guardian breeds.

If a toy breed were to do this, they'd just be typical little hellion ankle biters.
__________________

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:46 AM.


©1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site