Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 09-30-2012, 11:43 PM
Laurelin's Avatar
Laurelin Laurelin is online now
I'm All Ears
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 29,523
Default

Let's not forget those unmannerly rescue dogs either!

Quote:
"He was just about to be killed when the rescue pulled him - he's really been thru hell and back..." - I've heard exactly this and variations of this in reference to people's smaller rescue dogs. It may very well be the truth but it has sounded equally frequently like an excuse. To not train them, teach them, for not having them under total control, for misbehavior, for letting them slack on basic manners. I'm not saying that rescue dogs or rescuing them is a bad thing - I'm saying that people need to get their heads out of their as$es pronto and get their sh!t together and dogs in line - regardless of them being teacup or giant, high kill shelter rescue or bred and bought. Larger rescues are no exception either.
Quote:
Too many people are just under-informed then I suppose. What do they think they should do though - between having a dog that is out of control and wild and thinking that cruel training methods are the only way to go? I take the example of Sylvia Bishop into account now - when she started out it was the age of aversion, chokes, and beatings - she was unsatisfied with such methods and improvised her own...to pretty good success if I do say so myself. Not everyone has to be a master trainer - but at least do some research and take some initiative. IMO there is ZERO excuse or reason to have no control over your dog or for your dog to have no basic education.
I could go on pulling quotes from your other threads.

But if it's a fila....

Yeah I'm still just seeing a double standard here.
__________________
Mia CGC - (5 year old Papillon)
Summer TG3 TIAD - (10 year old Papillon)
Hank - (approx. 10 month old Spotty Dog)
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 09-30-2012, 11:52 PM
JessLough JessLough is offline
Love My Mutt <3
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Ontario
Posts: 13,185
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
Basically you have a double standard. Yay!

Empathy for big dogs [that you know] and no patience for small dogs.

This sounds strangely familiar to another thread of yours.

But what can we say, you've made it a point to shake it up, consider things shook.
Don't forget, no patience for rescue dogs, either!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephyMei1112 View Post
Adrienne,

If you say/believe I have a double standard then that's completely fine - I just want to say this though -

It's very difficult to have patience with a dog that is a public menace, has issues that the owner does nothing to curb or correct but may even encourage, and the fact that their handler also thinks that nothing is wrong with their bad behavior. It just so happens it's more so the small dogs around these parts that are so inclined in that manner versus the larger ones. It wasn't one or even two incidents with these dogs in question that I previously wrote about - it's happened SO many times and well...yes if you like, my patience has dulled as a result.

I have no patience equally for larger dogs that have harassed us around the neighborhood whom's handlers have that same sort of attitude applied to the smaller dogs.
You just described the Fila in that store. How do we know the owner wasn't mortified? BECAUSE HE LET THE DOG GO THROUGH THE STORE DOING THAT, go back out to the store doing that, and then steal all the treats that did not belong to the owner. NO owner who thinks this is bad would allow that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
Let's not forget those unmannerly rescue dogs either!





I could go on pulling quotes from your other threads.

But if it's a fila....

Yeah I'm still just seeing a double standard here.
Yep. Of course!

ETA: Also, if I was there, that dog would not have been making me move, and the owner would have had a good mouthful from me and asked to leave.
__________________
Ella: 3 year old female ferret
Nacho: ~8 year old male ferret

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 09-30-2012, 11:52 PM
Upendi&Mina's Avatar
Upendi&Mina Upendi&Mina is offline
Mainstreme Elitist
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Wonderland
Posts: 2,517
Default

I will just say I would die of embarrassment if any of my dogs acted like that. I find nothing funny or cute about it, it sounds like a situation that could have went even worse than it did very quickly.
__________________


My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 10-01-2012, 12:00 AM
StephyMei1112's Avatar
StephyMei1112 StephyMei1112 is offline
Blackout
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: No fixed abode.
Posts: 922
Default

Laur,

Ah, that was about the demographic of rescue dogs and their owners not following through with their training/education. From the time they got them home to taking them out in public - it was really what I saw of them. And they were mostly being allowed to continue on in the way that they were just because they were rescues/from a particular background. They were allowed/encouraged to continue in fact (in some cases).

This was an isolated incident (or at least I consider it to be) - I haven't seen her behave in that manner any time before (did no one see 'she did something unusual' in my original post?) and knowing her and her handler it was just really out of place with what I'd seen of her previously (who knows - I could have caught her at her rare good moments and today was how she usually is). I did NOT call her behavior today good or bad - but again, (from what I know and have seen) she is a good dog and I won't discredit her based on today. Again - how do I know if her handler wasn't deeply upset by this incident or that it wasn't just something she was fearful of/freaked out by and that they aren't working on making sure that it doesn't happen again? I don't. It's not the benefit of the doubt to me but rather that I do not have enough 'evidence' to say that she's horrible.
__________________
Feudin' and fightin' and a-fussin,'
That's all that's goin' on with us'n!
We are such neighborly people, peaceful and sweet!
All except when we happen to meet.


Stories, Poetry, and Musings
http://inugami1112.wordpress.com/

"And it's all been lost before, so there's nothing to lose..."


"There are those that love dogs insanely and those that don't. But once you like a dog, you're sunk. You're a dog person for life."

UKC Kuvasz Standard
AKC Kuvasz Standard
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 10-01-2012, 12:01 AM
JessLough JessLough is offline
Love My Mutt <3
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Ontario
Posts: 13,185
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephyMei1112 View Post
Laur,

Ah, that was about the demographic of rescue dogs and their owners not following through with their training/education. From the time they got them home to taking them out in public - it was really what I saw of them. And they were mostly being allowed to continue on in the way that they were just because they were rescues/from a particular background. They were allowed/encouraged to continue in fact (in some cases).

This was an isolated incident (or at least I consider it to be) - I haven't seen her behave in that manner any time before (did no one see 'she did something unusual' in my original post?) and knowing her and her handler it was just really out of place with what I'd seen of her previously (who knows - I could have caught her at her rare good moments and today was how she usually is). I did NOT call her behavior today good or bad - but again, (from what I know and have seen) she is a good dog and I won't discredit her based on today. Again - how do I know if her handler wasn't deeply upset by this incident or that it wasn't just something she was fearful of/freaked out by and that they aren't working on making sure that it doesn't happen again? I don't. It's not the benefit of the doubt to me but rather that I do not have enough 'evidence' to say that she's horrible.
Oh... so you see every single moment of the small dogs and rescue dogs? You absolutely know that they weren't freaked out by something? You see them 24/7 to be sure of this?

ETA: I'm sure everybody read the "something unusual" part of the post, but the fact that you posted it all LOL GUYS GUESS WHAT THIS DOG DID LOL is what people are reacting to
__________________
Ella: 3 year old female ferret
Nacho: ~8 year old male ferret

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 10-01-2012, 12:35 AM
Grab's Avatar
Grab Grab is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 3,052
Default

I can only guess that the owner was ok with it since he let her drag him both to the items of her choice and then through a line of people at the checkout... I know that the minute my dog did something like that we'd turn and head out.

Hell, if my toddler gets loud (and he does from time to time...21 month olds don't have volume control sometimes) we leave as well.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 10-01-2012, 12:36 AM
sassafras's Avatar
sassafras sassafras is offline
such sights to show you
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 5,750
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephyMei1112 View Post
Again - how do I know if her handler wasn't deeply upset by this incident or that it wasn't just something she was fearful of/freaked out by and that they aren't working on making sure that it doesn't happen again?
Well generally when I am deeply upset by an incident with my dogs I apologize to the people around me who are barked at or bum-rushed. And I don't know many fearful/freaked out dogs who knock over an entire container of treats onto the floor and scarf them up.

Quote:
I don't. It's not the benefit of the doubt to me but rather that I do not have enough 'evidence' to say that she's horrible.
No one is saying SHE is horrible. But her BEHAVIOR was beyond horrible, and it was allowed to continue without any apparent attempt to stop or modify it (by your own description of the incident). So it's kind of weird to me that you're waiting and waiting for evidence that seems to be plainly there, and honestly I do think your reaction would have been different had it been a small dog, even one you had never met before.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 10-01-2012, 12:57 AM
Renee750il's Avatar
Renee750il Renee750il is offline
Felurian
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Where the selas blooms
Posts: 94,266
Default

First, I hope he gets a handle on that behavior. And yes, Filas have a weird sense of humor and have to learn where and when is definitely the wrong time to indulge it. Sounds like she was being a brat and enjoying the attention.

Second, what you've described also sounds like she may be in the early stages of coming into heat. They get really strange. Goofball in one moment and a nanosecond later something different. It can be a roller coaster when they're young and haven't developed a sense of decorum, and you MUST help them learn by discouraging wild behavior in public. Usually I've found a "whatthehellwasthatallabout" gets things back in line, but in the beginning sometimes it takes a nose to snout conversation or two.

I hope he gets a handle on it. Have to wonder if it isn't sometimes more difficult for a man to raise a female Fila. Fila PMS is . . . well, it can get intense.
__________________
In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves. ~Buddha

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.


There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.


Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 10-01-2012, 02:27 AM
Paige's Avatar
Paige Paige is offline
Let it be
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 7,359
Default

To be hoenst I have a double standard. I feel less nervous around small dogs acting out versus big ones. Why? you can pick that rude little dude up quite easily. A dog as large as a fila? That isn't exactly an option. While I dont like any rude dogs I am hoenstly more appalled when people allow big dogs to do it because physically restraining htem is a lot more difficult
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 10-01-2012, 02:32 AM
Tazwell's Avatar
Tazwell Tazwell is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,083
Default

Wow. I can't believe how critical this thread became so quickly... When I read it, I thought the behavior sounded way out of hand, but it just seemed like you were pointing out the slightly strange mannerisms of a fila! I figured you were less critical because you know the dog personally...
__________________

Fleetwood Mes Yeux Vigilant CGCA RE TDCH TDI and Shed Antler Dog!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:32 AM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site