Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 09-30-2012, 10:26 PM
Glutton for Crazy

That dog sounds like a wreck, nothing cute about it, and I have some crazy ass dogs.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:29 PM
I'm All Ears

Remembering your 'small dogs are untrained' and 'rescue dogs are untrained' I wonder how this post would have read if this dog were a small dog behaving that way or a rescue dog behaving that way.

I definitely agree, not cute behavior at all. I would be so embarrassed if my dogs did that.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:31 PM
Like a bat outa' hell

Ya, I would be pretty ticked and not impressed if I saw a dog no matter what breed doing that. Sounds like that dog needs some manners.

Teagan Westhighland White Terrier
Panzer South African Boerboel Mastiff
Old 09-30-2012, 10:38 PM
Top Dog

I'm going to go with the "not funny at all" crowd.

As an employee at a pet food store, dogs like that are EXTREMELY annoying. Its impossible to do my job (helping customers, namely) when there is a dog running around like crazy and barking its head off. Its inconsiderate, both to the employees and the other customers.
Top Dog

Yeah not cute. And honestly a small dog acting out like that is one thing. A breed that is large enough to seriously harm someone, that is bred to be sharp and defensive... yeah not cool at all
Blackout

Laurelin,

The small dogs I was talking about in question in those previous topics were consistently quite nasty, had owners that were not interested in doing anything to correct their rude behavior, or we had run-in's with them. This dog I've had nothing but good experiences with - again, note my saying that this was something unusual that I noticed in her; also once again - I really cannot comment on how her training/education is progressing or if she is properly being taught how to behave in different environments etc

It was the first time I've seen/heard her bark actually - and I don't know if she was just freaked out, was in a upset state, just had a stressful experience, had a health upset/wasn't feeling well (not making excuses for her - just speculating). If I see/know that she is really getting out of hand and is behaving in a unmanageable manner all the time I would be just as critical of her handler as I was about the small dogs thing. But I can't make that judgement based on an isolated incident. Fair enough?
All except when we happen to meet.

Stories, Poetry, and Musings
http://inugami1112.wordpress.com/

"And it's all been lost before, so there's nothing to lose..."

"There are those that love dogs insanely and those that don't. But once you like a dog, you're sunk. You're a dog person for life."

UKC Kuvasz Standard
AKC Kuvasz Standard
Old 09-30-2012, 10:42 PM
such sights to show you

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephyMei1112 View Post
... if she is properly being taught how to behave in different environments etc
Well obviously, she isn't being taught how to behave in pet stores. Unless he wants to teach her to behave like a buffoon.

Old 09-30-2012, 10:47 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephyMei1112 View Post
Laurelin,

The small dogs I was talking about in question in those previous topics were consistently quite nasty, had owners that were not interested in doing anything to correct their rude behavior, or we had run-in's with them. This dog I've had nothing but good experiences with - again, note my saying that this was something unusual that I noticed in her; also once again - I really cannot comment on how her training/education is progressing or if she is properly being taught how to behave in different environments etc

It was the first time I've seen/heard her bark actually - and I don't know if she was just freaked out, was in a upset state, just had a stressful experience, had a health upset/wasn't feeling well (not making excuses for her - just speculating). If I see/know that she is really getting out of hand and is behaving in a unmanageable manner all the time I would be just as critical of her handler as I was about the small dogs thing. But I can't make that judgement based on an isolated incident. Fair enough?
No, still not fair.

If your criteria is going to be consistent bad behavior, the Fila showed consistency by repeated barking and screaming at everyone and everything in several separated incidents. That to me is consistent bad behavior. One episode? Maybe. Repeated episodes without removing the dog from the store? Thatís consistency.

If your criteria is owners not doing anything to correct the rude behavior, ditto. Your description has nothing about the handler attempting to correct anything. In fact he allowed it to continue until people moved out of the dogís way.

If your criteria is an attempt to teach the dog how to behave, again I see that missing here too.

Its really the same thing, no matter how you try to paint it. Fila acting like a butt = cute. Little dog acting like a butt = reactive, snappy, annoying PITA.
Double standard.
~Suzanne Clothier
Old 09-30-2012, 10:53 PM
Resident fainting goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danefied View Post
No, still not fair.

If your criteria is going to be consistent bad behavior, the Fila showed consistency by repeated barking and screaming at everyone and everything in several separated incidents. That to me is consistent bad behavior. One episode? Maybe. Repeated episodes without removing the dog from the store? Thatís consistency.

If your criteria is owners not doing anything to correct the rude behavior, ditto. Your description has nothing about the handler attempting to correct anything. In fact he allowed it to continue until people moved out of the dogís way.

If your criteria is an attempt to teach the dog how to behave, again I see that missing here too.

Its really the same thing, no matter how you try to paint it. Fila acting like a butt = cute. Little dog acting like a butt = reactive, snappy, annoying PITA.
Double standard.

You mentioned the dog was smiling, playing, kissing you, stealing treats..doesn't sound like a one time offense, an owner trying to control their dog, or a scared/sick/freaked out dog to me. Sounds like an out of control dog with a lazy owner who doesn't care.

but hey..it's different because you KNOW this dog and it's a FILA.
Not like those other dogs had stories, owners, histories, medical issues, or anything else you didn't know about or anything... so you should feel free to pass judgement.

Barking at people? stealing treats? screaming? Jumping on counters?..that is way way beyond puppy naughtiness. That dog shouldn't have been allowed to get that far EVER. Even with an excuse for it's behavior..it should not have gotten that far
Old 09-30-2012, 10:55 PM
Top Dog

You know this reminds me of something I posted on Facebook about Lola. LoLa is quite naughty at home at times. It is always very quickly dealt with while I laugh about her naughtiness. I do find humor in her antics at home but would be mortified if she misbehaved in public!

Now, IMHO it is one thing to laugh about your dog shoplifting something off your dinner plate at home.....it is a whole nother issue to laugh about your dog terrorizing a store.

There is a line between naughtiness and outright ill behavior. What I described is juvenile naughtiness that is disciplined but still finding the humor in it. What you described is a dog so out of control that is misrepresents it's breed and gives it a bad image to others.

If I had seen a dog behaving that way. I would have absolutely said something to the owner.
The OldMan Hobie-CGC Rotten Old Dog 11/14/99-01/08/2013
Talulajhs RedChrome Kahpone-CGC TT BH TDI 10/31/04-06/07/10.