Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 09-30-2012, 10:45 PM
Blackout

Default How a Fila puppy clears a room

It was customer appreciation day today (unbeknownst to me) at a local pet store (Tisol) when we walked in just for a short stop on our walk. It was PACKED with both people and animals.

I was looking at some tug-a-jug thing when I saw someone familar walk into the store; It was a older European man and Gisela - our neighborhood Fila. Her tail was tagging and she was smiling as usual (Fila's have a very charming, devilish, yet sweet smile). She did something very unusual today though; she screamed and barked nonstop at everyone and everything that was blocking her way till they gave way as she dragged her human across the store towards the direction of a bin filled with very aromatic smoked bones.

She played with Katalin for a while and kissed me - then repeated her crowd control number once more on the way out. There was a older man and a blonde lady chatting about cat litter in the cashier line up - she howled and barked at them until they stopped talking and let her and her person thru. Her man reached into the hospitality-treat canister on the counter and grabbed her a piece of pepperoni-bit. Gisela wasn't satisfied - she jumped on the table, knocked the canister over and inhaled the twenty or so pepperoni morsels that landed on the floor while unabashedly giving the employees and customers that were witness to it a "what-you-gonna-do-about-it?" look.

Filas are...something else lol
All except when we happen to meet.

Stories, Poetry, and Musings
http://inugami1112.wordpress.com/

"And it's all been lost before, so there's nothing to lose..."

"There are those that love dogs insanely and those that don't. But once you like a dog, you're sunk. You're a dog person for life."

UKC Kuvasz Standard
AKC Kuvasz Standard
Old 09-30-2012, 10:49 PM
Sport Model Pug

If ANY dog no matter what breed acted like that in my store, they'd be asked to leave.

That is simply a poorly behaved dog with an owner that should be ashamed of that behaviour. Who cares if it's a magical Fila or whatever breed.

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Old 09-30-2012, 10:51 PM
Behavior Nerd

Sorry, I don't find behavior like that "cute". That's how an ill-trained dog clears a room, regardless of breed. I'd be APPALLED if my dogs ever behaved that way, and talk about creating ill will toward one's breed of choice!

Old 09-30-2012, 10:53 PM
Blackout

I've only met them a handful of times - she is usually very outgoing yet well behaved. That's why I said it was untypical of her to do something like that.

I don't know how she is at home, what her training is like etc so I can't say much more.

Also this was the first time I've encountered her in a indoor environment - maybe the closed space and crowds freaked her out?

"There are those that love dogs insanely and those that don't. But once you like a dog, you're sunk. You're a dog person for life."

UKC Kuvasz Standard
AKC Kuvasz Standard
Old 09-30-2012, 10:56 PM
Top Dog

Agreed, horrible and it is people with dogs like that, that give *xyz* breed a bad rap. Why do some people think that the rest of us and our dogs, should have to tolerate that kind of behavour regardless of breed??
Old 09-30-2012, 10:59 PM
Behavior Nerd

I understand that pups may behave differently in new situations especially, but her owner really should have removed her the minute she started barking uncontrollably, not kept barging through the store - it's not good manners AND it's certainly not teaching Gisela proper behavior in a store environment.

Old 09-30-2012, 11:01 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardogs View Post
I understand that pups may behave differently in new situations especially, but her owner really should have removed her the minute she started barking uncontrollably, not kept barging through the store - it's not good manners AND it's certainly not teaching Gisela proper behavior in a store environment.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:02 PM
Blackout

*shrugs* I don't know about their training regimen, his plans for her etc. And I'm not condemning or condoning her behavior - just posting on something I saw happen today is all.

He's very knowledgeable and seems like he knows what he is doing though - and she's a good dog (from what I've seen of her).

UKC Kuvasz Standard
AKC Kuvasz Standard
Old 09-30-2012, 11:05 PM
Let it be

I am not an uptight person. I don't go off on people for having quriky, not well behaved animals but I dont think a store setting is the greatest place for that behavior to manifest. It's a public, enclosed in space.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:22 PM
Resident fainting goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardogs View Post
Sorry, I don't find behavior like that "cute". That's how an ill-trained dog clears a room, regardless of breed. I'd be APPALLED if my dogs ever behaved that way, and talk about creating ill will toward one's breed of choice!
This.
and can you imagine if somebody in there was a bit scared of larger dogs? or if there was a small child or something?

I would've certainly asked that dog to leave if it were my store.
Regardless of breed or dogs intent.. that is a bad situation and horrible behavior for an enclosed space full of other dogs/people.

Disclaimer: I work for Trupanion and love it/our policy! But I do not speak for the company or as the company.