Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-01-2012, 06:28 AM
Top Dog

I had intended to have Gusto neutered at 12/14 months, but wound up doing him at 11 months.

He didn't have any issues with inappropriate marking (he still doesn't always lift his leg) and had and still has phenomenal dog skills. The big plus is that he no longer spends class time with his teeth chattering and drooling, hovering over a spot on the floor where a female once maybe was. I decided he was done with growing enough (he's a small dog) and that I was probably going to wind up throwing him through the glass door if he kept it up, and he got neutered. The distraction issues still had to be worked on - it isn't a magic solution - but the chattering and drooling and glazed eyes went away fairly quickly. Faster than I actually expected given how long it takes for hormones to completely leave the body.

Old 10-01-2012, 06:59 AM
Just try me..

Kaiden is 8 now. JRTs aren't known for their biddableness at the best of times. But Kaiden has always been a gentleman. Darien has handled him competatively in agility and JRT trials since Darien was 6. Kaiden will do out of sight sit stays beside girls in heat (pantied in heat girls were allowed at the obed club I used to train with.

I don't notice any lack of focus with intact boys in general unless there is an in heat girl in the immediate vicinity. Dash loses his brain when there is a girl in heat here. But take him outside (assuming the girl is inside) and he is back to normal.

In general the onlything I have noticed neutering changing is marking in the house. I have had a few markers that stopped on fixing.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:41 AM
Top Dog

Wilson (who is neutered) humps more than Sako (who is intact). Sako rarely tries to hump, and if he does, Wilson is the target.. only because he knows Piper would eat him if he tried.

He doesn't mark badly.. I make it a point to correct him if we're on a walk and he goes into "mark" mode. I don't want a dog pissing everywhere when I'm trying to walk him! He's never peed on anything he shouldn't pee on, either.

He is SO sniffy though.. obsessed with smelling every little thing. But I'm not sure if that's an intact thing vs. a Sako thing. He's tried to taste Piper's pee too..
Old 10-01-2012, 08:22 AM
MyHorseMyRules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai View Post
I was asking a few friends about this a couple weeks ago...they have intact males and while I have an intact female I haven't done the male thing so was curious. They gave me a weird look and said if I can train a dog with lots of prey dog to call off a deer, or train a terrier to stay in my yard without a fence for a year, or train a birddog to stand down when a loose bird is fluttering in front of her nose, then having an intact male is no big deal. It's just a "matter of training and not taking stupid risks, just like anything else."
Pretty much this.

Boone has tried to hump a few times during play with other dogs, but so have my girls. And he's easily corrected with just a simple command. He certainly doesn't go around trying to mount everything that moves. The only problem I had with him as far as humping goes was when we met stardogs' Aeri.... lol But hey, it's a learning experience!

He doesn't mark inside, but he does mark a lot outside. He is also a very sniffy dog. And if you let him, he will taste a female's pee and then walk around chattering his teeth and drooling. But he's got a solid "leave it" command, so I don't worry too much about that.

As far as aggression, he's pretty great about ignoring other dogs chesting up to him and whatnot. But if a dog jumps him, it's on like donkey kong, and I have to end it before he does. He has also charged in when one of my girls got attacked.

Not sure how much of this is just him and how much is because he's intact. But there's nothing that makes me feel like I have to hurry and schedule a vet appointment because, "OMG, leaving his balls on him made him an out-of-control monster!"
Old 10-01-2012, 12:09 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Cooper was neutered at two years. I haven't noticed a difference in him what so ever, other than that he now no longer pees in the house (hooray!). Blackie wasn't neutered until three, and I don't really remember it having an effect on him either.

I plan on keeping my next boy intact until at least two years and I'm not worried about it. The only people who think its a horrible idea are those that believe reproductive hormones = aggressive dog that will over populate the world.

Old 10-01-2012, 04:59 PM
Top Dog

Only thing I can say is true to the intact stereotypes in regards to my own dog (Ma'ii) is that he IS aggressive with other intact male dogs. However, I have a funny feeling the problem doesn't have much to do with him being intact. I've seen neutered males with the same kind of aggression towards intact males as well.

Other then that, he's perfectly fine.

"Ma'ii is always out there, waiting. And Ma'ii is always hungry." - Navajo proverb
Old 10-01-2012, 05:02 PM
Felurian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostAndConfused View Post
Growing up we always had neutered males. Always. I'm planning on keeping new puppy intact, unless for health reason. I'm already getting grief from my mom who has worked at a vet clinic since the dawn of time.
"All he'll think about is finding a female"
"He'll never be a good dog. His mind will always be somewhere else"
"He'll mark on everything"
"He'll be more aggressive"
I'm sure you've heard them all.

How are intact males different than a neutered male? I really have no idea what to expect.
Bimmer is intact. He's coming up on 14. He is none of those things and never has been He's my Good Dog, lol!

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 10-01-2012, 05:03 PM
Taxiderpy

Strider didn't become SSA/intolerant until AFTER he was neutered.

Then again, I neutered him because he started having epilepsy issues. I noticed some weird personality quirks/changes during that period which seemed to be associated with his clusters, so it's really hard to know how much is because of the seizures and how much is because of neutering.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:19 PM
Top Dog

Wow, thanks guys. I'm not super concerned about any of the issues the rest of my family seem to be. Aware of them, but not concerned. I guess my answer to their concerns should be "I plan on keeping him intact until he gives me a reason not to"

Peco,
Male Lacy Game Dog
June 2003 - Feb. 2012

Hudson,
Male black & white English Shepherd
August 27th 2012

Blog - http://thedogreviews.blogspot.com/
Old 10-01-2012, 07:21 PM
overdogged

I waited to neuter Steve (he was a uni-baller) until he was 19 months. I work in a vet's office. You would not BELIEVE the drama from some people. (ok, maybe you would.)

Really the only difference I've noticed is that he does not mark in my house anymore (I was having pissing wars between Mushroom (neutered) and Steve and it sucked).
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?