Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 09-30-2012, 10:23 PM
I'm All Ears

It depends on the dog. Most our males have been intact forever. Bernard is 4 and intact right now. He's so easy it's ridiculous.

Trey was neutered at 2. He was weird before and weird afterwards. He wasn't even a pain when he was intact and Nikki was in heat.

Beau was the one dog that neutering was really helpful. He was very high strung, constantly trying to mount other dogs. Constantly wanting to mark even indoors. Neutering helped a lot. Of course then it made him balloon up in size and his coat got awful from being neutered. But now that he's skinny again, he seems the same, just much much less humpy and his hair is horrible. lol
Old 09-30-2012, 10:25 PM
I'm All Ears

Summer marks and hikes her leg too.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:32 PM
Top Dog

Only two times I've seen Roman (5 year old intact GSD) hump. One was his love affair with a intact male Berner when he was a year old.

Those dogs would hump for hours.

I kid you not.

Hours.

The only other time I saw him get a hint of humpy about him is when he was in a serious fight with the other dog here. They were fighting, Roman had the other dog by the scruff, the other dog turned and was under him and for literally a split second Roman assumed hump position. Then the fight carried on. It was weird.

And for the record, the other dog, who was neutered at 4 months, is a total bully. Roman is extremely tolerant.

And re:tasting pee... YES ROMAN DOES THIS. GROSS. And he lovesss licking the other dog's genitals and putting his nose right in his butthole. GROSS. GROSS. GROSS. I don't know if he does this because he's intact but it would be almost worth lopping his jewels off if it would stop him from being so nasty lol.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:39 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linds View Post
Traveler doesn't hump, but I swear to god he will flag to small dogs.
I'm not sure I want to ask but...WHAT does he flag with??? He's sort of missing key parts there...????

Again I'm not even sure I want to know lol

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 09-30-2012, 10:44 PM
Twin 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai View Post
I'm not sure I want to ask but...WHAT does he flag with??? He's sort of missing key parts there...????

Again I'm not even sure I want to know lol
I don't even know how to explain it, but his whole body language changes. He gets all still and then lifts his tail up and to the side and wags it a bit. A few times the little dog has gotten right up there and started humping and then it turns into play.

Or, sometimes we just skip that step, he pees on them, declares them his property and tries to stuff them into the car.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:04 PM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

Moo was intact till 3. I saw no reason to neuter till then. He was easy going with most dogs, didn't roam, wasn't obsessive. We trialled and trained no issue. He started around 2.5 to pee in my house. We had come to jesus meetings, more crate time, 0 left alone time, leashed to me only.. reintroduce room by room slowly, and then suddenly after months pee on something.. followed by more and more of it elsewhere even when being cleaned with enzymatic cleaner.

While I knew neutering might not fix it.. I'd had enough. Neutering did fix his peeing indoors. Arson was intact till Friday. He has serious potty issues, is from a byb.. has matured enough at 14 months I was happy to snip him now.

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles

Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H SD-S (SP)
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground

Old 09-30-2012, 11:13 PM
Top Dog

I grew up with all intact animals - males and females, cats and dogs. Gavroche is my first neutered dog, and OH GOD THE PROBLEMS.

First, don't let ANYONE tell you neutered dogs don't have prostate issues. I just shelled out $210 for 8 weeks of Baytril for Gavroche (and that's WITH my discount, without it would be $400...Logan's dental/extraction with my discount was only $150) in an attempt to get his UTIs under control after finding they are likely caused by a small cyst in his prostate where the bacteria hide away while he's not on antibiotics. Then there's the hypothyroidism and the urinary incontinence (which may actually be a result of the chronic UTIs).

Logan does not just go after females. First, he's my service dog. He has to be able to concentrate on the task at hand, and he does, beautifully, even though he's intact. We have worked alongside females in heat with no problems. I come home with female in heat smell all over my scrubs all the time with no problem. He's a spectacularly healthy dog (when he's not breaking himself >.< ).

I don't intend to neuter any future dogs, and if I do, it will be WELL AFTER they're fully mature. My personal preference is after 3 years old. I used to say after 18 months, but seeing the way Logan has grown and matured, I've changed it to 3 years. That's why I prefer males. I don't want to put up with 3 years og heat cycles before I spay a female.

And for behavior issues, Gavroche is the problem dog. He's DR, has some anxiety (much better since he's been on thyroid meds), and is an overall jerk. Logan LOVES everybody and everyone and doesn't want to hurt anyone's feelings. The only problem Logan's had is marking, and that was fixed with diligence. A spray bottle cured his marking in the house in about 48 hours. Pet stores took a LOT longer, but we got there.

My dogs only hump when they play with each other, and Gavroche (neutered) does WAY more humping than Logan (intact). Gavroche has earned the nickname Captain Jack, while Logan is known as Ianto
Old 09-30-2012, 11:41 PM
*Now with Snark*

My two boys who are intact or were neutered very late like to give themselves oral and I'm not just talking just a little lick. Thank god for solid crate walls. heh.

They also have this neat trick of looking like they are deep in thought while sniffing butt. It's the difference between saying Hi which they all do and asking for the license and registration for that ass.

Otherwise mine I think are pretty normal and like just about any other altered dog with bonus dangly bits.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:04 AM
Big Dog

Rocky, my Schnauzer, was intact until we moved to the United States. I am more fluent in English than my parents, and this specific time that Rocky went to the vet I was at school so my parents took him. When I got home, my parents told me the vet wouldn't see him or continue his shots schedule until he was neutered. At the time I didn't know better and I thought it was some kind of law (maybe it is?? I live in Florida). Needless to say I was furious when I got back from school and saw my dog was neutered. His behavior changed completely, he was very active and energetic Schnauzer, and after the neutering he became a 'boring' dog with not much character, and all his energy diminished and he turned into a couch potato dog.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:28 AM
Top Dog

Nog is intact. He does not hump (aside from an occasional go at the cat...but everyone wants to hump poor Abner), he's not overly sniffy, he's fine with dogs regardless of what parts they have. He very rarely marks things..I do have to keep Clive's bean bag chair up, though, as it must smell like something fun to pee on.

He'll likely be neutered soon, though, simply because I really dislike the smell of intact dog pee. No pee smells "good", but I don't smell the neutered boys' urine, with Nog, I have to frequently clean the outdoor area where he pees. He'll be three in March though, so is well matured.

And yes, neutered dogs can be horrible markers. Julian has been neutered since he was a wee guy and he's the worst marking dog ever.

ETA that I've not noticed any of my altered dogs having changes in activity though, you might want to run a thyroid check or something.