Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 09-30-2012, 03:23 PM
Walks into Mordor

Default How well does your dog tolerate bathing?

Spinoff of PWCorgi's thread: How does your dog behave when being bathed? Does he/she behave well, or throw fits and temper tantrums?

Zeus and Voodoo are wonderful about baths. Neither of them like it much, but they don't fight it. I don't have to restrain them in any way. I don't even put a collar on them when I bathe them outdoors. They know the drill very well. They just stand there with a big *sigh* while I shampoo, rinse, condition, and rinse again.

Voodoo is the only who puts up a token protest, but that's only if I bathe them inside in the bathtub. And even so, it's not exactly a fight. He'll follow me into the bathroom, and jump into the tub when I tell him to. But once he's in the water, he goes limp. He'll literally sit down with his hind legs sprawled. His attitude seems to be, "I won't fight you, but I won't help you." It's like bathing a giant mound of Jell-O. He won't turn around when I tell him to, or do anything to make it easier. He just sits there like an inert lump while I grunt and shove and smoosh him into position to shampoo and rinse.
Old 09-30-2012, 03:24 PM
Love My Mutt <3

She's behaved, she jumps onto the tub herself

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 09-30-2012, 03:29 PM
Top Dog

Yoshi is great. She'll jump up into the tub and sit and lay down when I ask .

She'll even fall asleep if I let her soak long enough XD

Old 09-30-2012, 03:29 PM
Top Dog

Meg looks absolutely appalled that you would betray her in such a manner - but she freezes and won't move while you do it.

Gusto screams like a hyena in heat and is like trying to hold onto a greased pig.

Old 09-30-2012, 03:32 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

Both hate it but tolerate it. Mackenzy, who's afraid of literally nothing else in life, is horrified by the forced air dryer. Keeva also hates it but just lies down and waits for the end to come. LOL

Old 09-30-2012, 03:34 PM
I'm All Ears

Mine hate it but are resigned to the inevitable. They sit there and glare at you.
Old 09-30-2012, 03:34 PM
My dog tickles my soul

Morgan behaves very well in the shower. As I said in PW's thread, he begs to come in when he feels dirty. LOL! Once he's in, he just stands there as I scrub and rinse him, and will even let me turn him around in order to reach all sides. He doesn't look happy during the process, but he dances once we start toweling him off. He feels good afterwards.

The few times we tried to bathe him in the bathtub (as a puppy) was an unmitigated disaster. He HATED it. Flailing, scrambling, crying, etc. We haven't tried that again, the shower works so very, very well.
Old 09-30-2012, 03:35 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Quote:
His attitude seems to be, "I won't fight you, but I won't help you." It's like bathing a giant mound of Jell-O. He won't turn around when I tell him to, or do anything to make it easier. He just sits there like an inert lump while I grunt and shove and smoosh him into position to shampoo and rinse.
This is pretty much Frodo. He stays standing but everything has to be a struggle. And he wants his head away from the faucet (which isn't even running) at all times. Which is difficult since I really would like to bathe BOTH sides of him Turning him around is literally like pushing a statue around, he refuses to move his legs at all, lol.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 09-30-2012, 03:36 PM
treehugging clicker freak

They're both very well behaved. Maddie will jump into the tub herself with her wiggle-butt.
Bailey doesn't like it but she's very well behaved, and pretty much doesn't move until I'm done.

As for drying? Maddie is hilarious to towel dry! She gets very frisky and play bitey and won't sit still LOL
Bailey.... doesn't like it pretty much doesn't move until I'm done. And then zoomies ensue.

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 09-30-2012, 03:37 PM
Top Dog

Zander seems to think baths are a game. He has a whole complex about it.

First, he will absolutely refuse to go anywhere near the bathroom and get the zoomies. Then, when I least expect it, he'll run past me and jump in the tub. Then he'll sit still for 5-10 minutes. After that grace period, he starts screaming at the top of his lungs and starts trying to zoomie in/out of the tub.

When I finally let him go, he zoomies all through the house while I try to dry him off as best I can. Mostly, he just rolls all over the carpet like an idiot. More zoomies. More zoomies. Some peeing. Lots of barking. More zoomies.

Then he crashes on his bed where I finish drying him off/brushing him out/so on.

Meanwhile, I just sort of stand there. I'm never sure if I want to laugh because it's so amusing or cry out of sheer frustration.