Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 09-30-2012, 12:14 PM
Top Dog

eh probably once or twice a year or whenever I'm home and decide that I'm in the mood for bathing a dog!

Random question - can you use human conditioner on dogs?

My Hiking Blog: http://thehikinghokie.blogspot.com/
Old 09-30-2012, 12:16 PM
It's A Red Dog Revolution

Well, Pen and Kimma get bathed like once every 8-9 months LOL. I love having a breed that doesn't smell at all. Bubbles gets a bath right before she has a show, so at this rate, once every 6 weeks or so.

Bubbles and Pen get blown out, Kimma air dries/rubs herself on the carpet since she's not a fan of the dryer. I just use some generic oatmeal shampoo on them that I think I got at Petco. I've had it since Kimma was a puppy LOL.

Loistava's Jari CGC - 18 months old (M)
Loistava's Kimma RN AX AXJ RATN CGC - 4 years old (F)
AOM CH Finkkila's Kupla ("Bubbles") - 4 years old (F)
CH Finkkila's Pentti CGC TDI - 6 years old (M)
Old 09-30-2012, 12:19 PM
Mild and Slightly Nutty

It depends on the season... In summer it happens more frequently mostly to make sure that Menchi's sensitive skin is nice and clean.

So in summer it can happen once every 2-3 weeks at times. When the weather is less hot they usually get a bath once ever two months.

Watson gets a bath when Menchi gets one

For Menchi I have an antibacterial shampoo with tea tree oil and herbals. Watson uses a nice almond/vanilla scented shampoo.

They get toweled off and then air dry. Wash and wear coats for the win

A gold brick wrapped with a twist of lemon...

Visit the Curly-tailed Brigade
http://curly-tailed.blogspot.com/
Old 09-30-2012, 12:28 PM
Top Dog

How often do your dogs get bathed? Once every two weeks or so. Sometimes every week.
What do you use? I use to use Earthbath but I've developed some sort of allergy to it so the last two times I just used my shampoo :/
How do you dry them? Usually takes three towels and lots of shaking. Then she lays in her crate on some towels until she is dry enough not to leave damp spots

Old 09-30-2012, 12:29 PM
orange iguanas.

Juno is being bathed once weekly at the moment, with Earthbath tea tree & aloe shampoo. For her suspected allergies. Otherwise once every month or two was the normal. She air dries yayy.

Lucy gets bathed at the groomers every 8 weeks. Occasionally I will do it myself between grooming appts. I usually blow dry her because it looks nicer but sometimes I'm too lazy.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 09-30-2012, 12:33 PM
Top Dog

Byron got his first bath this summer for the last two years? He stays clean.

Blitz every two months Or more often, cuz he gets dirty! Loves mud and poop. He will just jump in the shower with Chaz to.

Gizmo only when she's blowing her coat and I'm helpin it along.

Tawny. About never. She hates it. Life and death battle. Same with her nails.

If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain
dogs I have known will go to heaven, and very, very few
persons -James Thurber
Old 09-30-2012, 12:36 PM
Top Dog

Not as often as they used to?

Buzz gets bathed about once a month or so. I usually use the Isle of Dogs shampoo but bought some Richards Organics to use on him last time.

Bailey is bathed less frequently because although she gets dirty, she doesn't get smelly like Buzz!
Puzzle Piece Gabby RLV 8 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years
Old 09-30-2012, 12:53 PM
Top Dog

A few times a year, more if they find something dead to roll in.

Meg's hard. I can't do her in the shower anymore. The one time I did, she had a panic attack every time I turned the shower on for a week. I can do her in the driveway with the hose when it is warm out; mostly both dogs get done at the barn, generally when I'm coming back from a trail ride where I notice they are both rolling in something, and I can't charge Tristan at them fast enough to stop it We have enough local "pet wash" stations that I could take either one of them there in a pinch.

I use Pet Head strawberry yogurt shampoo, because I like the smell. No conditioner needed on my guys! I rub them down well with towels if we are at home and let them air dry. Their crazy post-bath zoomies take care of the drying at the barn!

Old 09-30-2012, 01:09 PM
Top Dog

Usually about once a month, so every 3-4 weeks. Unless they've been in the river. Then they get bathed immediately after (the Dobes break out in a rash if river water is left on them and Dance sometimes gets itchy). For a while I was having to give Ripley weekly baths with a special shampoo for his skin issue and allergies, but he seems ok now so I'm just leaving him as long as possible without a bath. If it starts again, back to weekly baths it is. But normally I try not to more than once a month unless necessary.

Dance is dried with my force dryer and the Dobes just get towel dried. Ripley has to use a hyper allergenic (unscented) shampoo, but the girls use whatever I have around. Right now it's Bark 2 Basics, but I buy all sorts of different brands. I use conditioner on all of them as well.

Ripley
Keira (Very much missed 2007-2014)
Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN
Old 09-30-2012, 01:16 PM
Puppy Dog

Sox gets rinsed and blow dried about once a week, helps shedding and his allergies. He gets an actual bath with shampoo every couple months or whenever he starts to smell a little dog-like.

Sox - 7 y/o BC mix     &   Willow - 2 y/o IG mix