Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Cat and Pet Forum

Old 10-26-2012, 09:19 PM
I'm All Ears

How can you tell the difference?

Would this be double coated or single coated?

DSC_1287 by Summer_Papillon, on Flickr

Is she not totally awesome?

DSC_1293 by Summer_Papillon, on Flickr
Old 10-26-2012, 09:31 PM
Top Dog

A lot like you would with a dog. By pushing up their fur the opposite direction and looking to see if there are two distinct "layers". Sometimes in cats, those layers are different colors. For example, my short hair that is double coated is a tabby/calico, but his 2nd coat is solid orange.

"Only when the last tree is cut, only when the last river is polluted, only when the last fish is caught, will they realize that you can’t eat money." –Native American proverb
Old 10-26-2012, 10:27 PM
orange iguanas.

Hahaha oh goodness I didn't know cats could be double coated either.

My cat is a shorthair (but now I don't know what kind! lol) and he sheds like omgwhoa. Even though he's on raw. That made no difference. I just go over him with a Furminator like once a week and that helps the issue A LOT. Also stopped the hairballs.

I am kind of biased against long hair cats because all the ones I saw at work were gross and matted and stinky. Always needing to shave them. This is just not a concern with short hairs.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 10-26-2012, 10:42 PM
Top Dog

Man, I have never heard of a matted cat. Usually they take care of that themselves. I bet that would be weird to see.

"Only when the last tree is cut, only when the last river is polluted, only when the last fish is caught, will they realize that you can’t eat money." –Native American proverb
Old 10-27-2012, 11:54 PM
orange iguanas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara! View Post
Man, I have never heard of a matted cat. Usually they take care of that themselves. I bet that would be weird to see.
Ugh yes. It's mostly the super fat ones that physically can't clean themselves. Which unfortunately was a super common sight where I worked.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 10-28-2012, 12:30 AM
Wookie Collie

June Bug sez: Longhaired cats are purdy, and when they're on high end fishy food and brushed regularly, they barely shed/mat, too!

(She DOES shed more than Finnegan, but far less than, say... Beauty. Ugh.)

Finnegan - Border Collie | Barrett the ferret | Stan & Fiora - the cats
RIP - Fozzy 1993-2006 Palom 2008-2010 Ysera 2008-2011 Basol 2008-2012 Freya 2008-2014 Porom 2008-2014
Old 10-28-2012, 12:36 AM
Top Dog

Morgan hardly ever sheds much, but the short haired cats do a bit.

Old 10-28-2012, 12:42 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
Ugh yes. It's mostly the super fat ones that physically can't clean themselves. Which unfortunately was a super common sight where I worked.
That's so sad. ): cats have way sensitive skin. Poor things.

Old 10-29-2012, 10:02 PM
Bored Now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
I know nothing about cat breeds either or how to pick a cat. If I went into a shelter I know I'd just pick one I thought was pretty. That's pretty bad... But I doubt I'd ever buy a purebred cat though. What kinds of traits are you looking for when you look at adopting a cat? Maybe the foster to adopt would be best.

I did not think about the dogs eating the poop. I am sure they would if given the chance. And they are small enough to fit in a covered litterbox too.
Don't do that until you're really comfortable with cats and have dealt with every personality under the sun. I'm at the point where if I were to get a cat, I would pick the one I thought was cutest and deal with the consequences of my actions later; but I'm not going to recommend it.

If I were you, I'd volunteer at a rescue or shelter and then try fostering a bit so you get used to different personalities and see what you like the best. I'm a sucker for the bitchy ones who like to scratch me, preferably medium or low-energy and long haired. Some people like active kitties, lazy ones, cuddlers, smart ones, etc. . . you never know until you try it.

And for the litterbox issue: there are magnetic collars and cat door combos you can get that will keep one animal out and another in. I knew two couples who lived in the same house with 8 cats, and they each kept the other couple's cats out of their room using the magnetic cat flaps. You could get the collars for the dogs to keep them out of the room with the box.