Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 09-29-2012, 08:21 PM
Blackout

Default Happy Mid-Autumn festival!

Happy Mid-Autumn festival everyone! (OK it's a day early)

It's a mainly Asian occasion but I thought I'd share. It is referred to as ***20013;***31179;***31680; (lit Mid Autumn Festival) or "Chung Chau Zit" in Chinese. It's just a seasonal celebration/Autumnal Equinox celebration; it has folklore attached to it which I don't feel like typing out now lol but look it up for yourselves if you are interested http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mid-Autumn_Festival

We are having a meal tonight at a decent Chinese place for the sake of the occasion and just trying to have a nice time then coming home to be boring again lol. It's considered a occasion to enjoy the season, admire the moon, and appreciate family/company.

Mooncakes and dumplings are traditional fare - neither are my favorite lol but I can appreciate a bite or two. Traditional mooncakes are made with thick pastry filled with either lotus seed paste (sweet) or a salted egg yolk (salty). Variations are readily and widely avalible though - blueberry almond gelatin with cheesecake flavored ice cream being one that stands out in memory.

Strawberry yogurt with red bean filling

Anyways, be happy and safe and hopefully do something fun =)
All except when we happen to meet.

Stories, Poetry, and Musings
http://inugami1112.wordpress.com/

"And it's all been lost before, so there's nothing to lose..."

"There are those that love dogs insanely and those that don't. But once you like a dog, you're sunk. You're a dog person for life."

UKC Kuvasz Standard
AKC Kuvasz Standard
Old 09-29-2012, 08:36 PM
Top Dog

What a lovely thing to do...celebrate the season. Is there something you do for every season? Those mooncakes look mighty tasty and so very beautiful. Did you make them? It sounds like a really nice evening. I hope you enjoy it. That is a very nice custom. I mean, most people celebrate something in each season...sometimes more than one thing. But to celebrate the season itself, I really like that idea. Fall is beautiful and to me, a peaceful kind of season....like preparing for the restful winter. I love the colors, the scents and crisp air of fall. So far this fall here, it's still almost like summer...a little cooler, but still not quite fall yet.

So thank you for your mid autumn festival wishes. I think I just might take up something like this custom and try it out on my family. LOL. I don't think I'm enterprising enough to make those yummy deserts, but I might try something and just celebrate the season.

(when I have more time, I'll check out that link)
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 09-29-2012, 08:44 PM
Blackout

LOL No it's just a picture from google - I can't cook to save my dog's life.

Hmm...There's spring festival, dragon boat festival for summer, mid autumn festival, Chinese new year's which is sort of still in winter...yeah, pretty much something for every season.

Indeed - like Albert Camus said - Autumn is a second spring. The colors, crispness, clearness of everything...lovely. The weather is usually quite refreshing too - especially after a blazing summer.

"There are those that love dogs insanely and those that don't. But once you like a dog, you're sunk. You're a dog person for life."

UKC Kuvasz Standard
AKC Kuvasz Standard
Old 09-30-2012, 08:33 AM
<--------Orson

How is it mid autumn? It just turned fall here a week ago! LOL

happy festival to you though!
Old 09-30-2012, 11:45 AM
Felurian

Have a beautiful Moon Festival, Stephy, and may Chang'e send you love and healing this night.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 09-30-2012, 12:07 PM
Chihuahua Power!

That sounds like so much fun- I hope you have a wonderful time! Even if those cakes don't taste the best, they sure are gorgeous!

I can't think of any fall festivals around here, except for the ones at the theme parks (Epcot does a food and wine festival). When I lived in Massachusetts, we would go to the cranberry festival every fall. We lived in the "cranberry capital of the world" and the festival was awesome... it's one thing I miss about living in a state where we don't have much of a climate change!

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 09-30-2012, 09:21 PM
Blackout

OMG Cranberry festival - we have something like that in Canada too. Cranberry muffins, cranberry cakes, cranberry jello, cranberry wine, cranberry duck...mmm.....I remember cranberry, wild rice, poached pear, and jewel yam stuffed duck - nom nom nom nom.

Thanks Renee - may you and yours be blessed too <3. Chang-E is known as "Seung Ngor" in my dialect lol - gawd my mandarin is so crap. I need to polish up. Her Western equivalent is Diana/Artemis.

UKC Kuvasz Standard
AKC Kuvasz Standard