Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 01-05-2006, 07:00 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by showpug
Okay, got it. I was imagining a dog out in the bark dust whelping a litter while the breeder stands by and watches LOL! I would probably whelp my puppies in one of our bedrooms and then move them downstairs as they mature, but never outside...kennel or no kennel!
lol, i had a feeling that what you thaught hehe, yep i dont kennel pups either, i think they need alal the human company they can get
Old 01-05-2006, 07:39 PM
yuckaduck

Rescue dogs whelp in the kennel.

My personal dogs will whelp in the house in the whelping room which has been set up for just this type of occasion.
Old 01-05-2006, 07:54 PM
Top Dog

yep i would expect rescue dogs to have to, our local rescue doesnt have any where else, but my dogs i want inside
Old 01-05-2006, 08:42 PM
Top Dog

I had an ideal set up. We had what was ,at one time a garage , off our family room. It had a dutch door for summer, and the furnace room was there for heat if it was cold ( plus heaters etc ) . I had a large whelping pen that was changed as the pups grew. The whole garage was a " play room" ... work table was grooming etc table. The whelping pen went into " kennel " mode,once the pups were starting to be weaned. Pups were in for the night until morning .... knew their potty area and during the day the kennel was open for them to retreat to.... though most would pile intp the boxes or baskets I had out for them. Chairs were set up and we would spend hours out there with them and the other goldens, was such fun !!!

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 01-05-2006, 08:56 PM
RedyreRottweilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallien Jacks
How many of you have your girls whelp inside and how many outside? i dont know if anyone can add a poll to this

I cannot IMAGINE the thought of one of my bitches whelping puppies ANYWHERE except inside my house in a room especially set up for it, with the whelping box, and my bed there.

This is my whelping box...

I sleep by the box, literally, and leave the room ONLY for necessities for the entire first week.

No WAY outside.

Unthinkable.
Old 01-05-2006, 09:25 PM
Big Dog

When I breed my bitches will definitely whelp inside.
Old 01-05-2006, 11:38 PM
Rusty but Trusty

um my dogs don't breed but I would have to say inside. I don't think I would like having my baby outside so I don't think a dog would either. I would keep them inside and watch them like a hawk before during and after the whole birthing process.

Old 01-06-2006, 10:05 AM
Top Dog

great box, looks very easy to clean also, which I find woden ones are not
Old 01-06-2006, 11:16 AM
Top Dog

My box was similar , though bigger. I liked the white to keep it clean. I'll see if EliN can post it.
Old 01-06-2006, 11:18 AM
Top Dog

great, U think a sticky with pics of whelping boxes in would be great for the first time breeder that needs ideas