Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 01-05-2006, 04:41 PM
Top Dog

Default Hopeless??

Ok, at another thread, I was told I should post this here. Although I am at absolute wits end, with no hope left, I will try once again.
I have a 4 year old Pekenese. White. Of course, a "puppy mill" dog. Purchased at Petland, at 4 months old, already nuetered, etc, etc.The dogs problem is that he itches constantly. I dont mean constantly, like all the time, I mean constantly like every second of every minute of the day. Non stop, itch, chew, bleed, scab, stink to high heaven, scootching on the tile grout line, crying, growling, constant miserable state of life!!!
I also think he is developmenatlly disabled(in the mind) because he is soooooooo extremly happy all the time, even in that much pain! His eyes are googly, it's strange.
Anyway, he has been allergy tested, nothing found. Wheat free food, meat free food, wheat and meat free food(Not sure what was in that!!!) No cleaning materials, special baths, no mange, you name it, I have pry done it, with no success!
I think the dog should be put down, but he is my youngest sons, and when the subject is brought up......I am accused of hating him, that is why I want to put him down, or something similar. It would devastate my son, break his heart,he understands what I am saying, but he couldn't deal with it.
My last attempt was a shirt. I put the shirt on him, and he just sat there, looking totally bored, FOR 6 HOURS STRAIGHT!!! He wouldn't move. As soon as it came off, back to his old happy, itchy self.
The vet thinks his mind ain't right either, and this may be an aweful habit. Like a humans "tourette" or something.
HELP!

Old 01-05-2006, 04:48 PM
Island dweller

Aww That's sad. It sounds like the dog isn't suffering though. Have you tried a raw diet? Lots of omega fatty acids? what about aloe vera on the skin? I'm not that useful, just thought I'd throw out some ideas.
Old 01-05-2006, 04:49 PM
RedyreRottweilers

Have you considered going to a raw grain free diet with the dog?

It's a small dog, so the cost would not be so high to feed it, even a prepackaged one.

Do you use any sort of flea preventives on him?

I would also look into what cleaning supplies and laundry detergents you use.

Many dogs with seemingly hopeless conditions as you describe have incredible turn arounds when processed food is eliminated from their diet.
Old 01-05-2006, 04:52 PM
Top Dog

there must be something causing this, what foods have you tried, also have you looked at the following
Washing powder used in his bedding
Flea allergy
Water he drinks
where you walk him
treats given by you and others
wormerused
flea trteatment used
shampoo used
all of these things can cause allergys
Old 01-05-2006, 05:29 PM
Top Dog

I have not tried the raw diet....I positivly will check into that as soon as I am done here. I haven't tried that on any dog before, so I am not familiar with it, but if you guys think there is a chance...
He was down to bottled water only=spring, but no dofference, so just tap again. He is on Frontline fleatick preventative, it has been changed, no difference. The treats are wheat free-still. I have resorted to just a diluted mix of bleach water on my floor, my APBT is allergic to chlorine, so it is very diluted, my entire house is tile. His bedding-gosh, I have changed soooo many soaps...my son is highly allergic to soap, and Tide is the only soap tolerable to him.
Thanks, I will check into the raw diet, give me an example......

Old 01-05-2006, 05:31 PM
Top Dog

sounds like you are doing a lot to help which is great, when you cahnge something how long do you give
Old 01-05-2006, 05:31 PM
Island dweller

There's a lot about the raw diet and in your case you probably want to go organic. I think a pre-packaged diet might be the best option for you. I'll get mordy's attention on this thread.
Old 01-05-2006, 05:40 PM
Island dweller

Have you tried Innova EVO? It's grain-free, human quality ingredients and cooked like no other food. It's supposed to be as close to feeding raw as any kibble can get.

www.naturapet.com
Old 01-05-2006, 05:46 PM
Top Dog

with innova evo dairy can be a prob but it depends on your dog