Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 09-27-2012, 11:00 PM
Mainstreme Elitist

Default Shaping/capturing.

As everyone knows I have Kodak now, and I'd like to try training him a bit different than I did my girls. I'd like to start with shaping/capturing from the time he's a puppy instead of falling into the trap of luring (which I made the mistake of doing with my girls, who now don't really offer behaviors but rather sit and wait to be shown what to do). So tips for getting started? General rules? This will be a whole new way of doing things for me, so even just stories are appreciated.

My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet
Old 09-27-2012, 11:19 PM
It's A Red Dog Revolution

I like to start with things like hand targets, impulse control, shaping go to mat, playing with shaping retrieves, perch work, etc. Then I think capturing sit/down would be easier than shaping, and make games out of things like recall and finding heel position.

Those are just some things I have done with clients, and I would personally do differently than luring if I had a puppy knowing what I know now

Loistava's Jari - 17 months old (M)
Loistava's Kimma RN AX AXJ RATN CGC - 4 years old (F)
AOM CH Finkkila's Kupla ("Bubbles") - 4 years old (F)
CH Finkkila's Pentti CGC TDI - 6 years old (M)
Old 09-28-2012, 12:27 PM
Top Dog

I start with really easy, simple behaviors. Once they learn one or two of those they begin to understand that offering behavior is what it's all about. Puppies get really creative with offering once they know the rules of the game and you can get some crazy things to build off of.

My first behaviors to teach are object interaction based. Here's a box, what can you do with this box? Click for whatever they offer first and continue to click for it until they are offering it readily. Next time, use a different object and try to click for something else until it's offered readily. So on so forth. Targets are great for this, I teach a hand target right away.

You can shape ANY behavior out there, don't fall into the trap that because it's X behavior you must lure it. You just need to have a good understanding of how to build on offered behaviors and a dog who knows the game. For example, I have free shaped a down and a head toss which eventually turned into a rollover. That same head toss turned into a spin and also a sit up and beg. Be creative with those quirky offered things, you can build a ton on them!
Old 09-28-2012, 12:33 PM
Twin 2

Agree with everything said! I found this while looking through my video's, it's one of the first few shaping sessions I had with Didgie when I was getting her to understand that interacting with things gets a reward

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nywJclYhjbc

Also, I stole Sara's love for a hand target and it's the best thing ever. I use it for everything, it's my recall, it's a reset button, it's a fun game.

Remember to avoid thinking of it in a big picture, break it down and start really small. Especially in the beginning pay attention to the slight shifts in their body in the direction you want and build on that.
Old 09-28-2012, 12:46 PM
Top Dog

I'd just start with whatever gets the dog using different parts of their body. Targeting with nose and targeting with paws (front and back if possible) basically. Those things can be used as starting points for most behaviors.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 09-28-2012, 01:06 PM
Sit! Good dog.

Good thread, will use some of these!

Our last session was leave/impulse control. Treats on floor, click for leaving. Picked it up in moments. Puppies are cool!
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 09-28-2012, 01:12 PM
I'm All Ears

I start with interactions with an object as well. Target, box, stool, etc. At first I simply click for looking at it, then go on to where they're interacting with it. It doesn't take long for them to start understanding that they should interact with things and then try different interactions. I love having a dog that throws behaviors at me.
Old 09-29-2012, 03:37 PM
Resident fainting goat

Capturing/shaping is so new to me.. I wish there was a beginners guide! lol but this thread has really helped.

It is possible to do both luring and shaping with a new puppy?
Old 09-29-2012, 03:58 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
It is possible to do both luring and shaping with a new puppy?
Of course! It's just easy to become dependent on luring and forget to really teach your dog how to experiment with/offer behaviors. I found that happened with Tucker, I had trouble shaping him because I have no patience, so used luring to "help" whenever things weren't going fast enough for my liking, and now he's not a good shaper (though it's being remedied). He waits for help instead of getting creative with behavior. Plus, shaping works the dog's brain a lot more, requires more thinking than following a treat around, and I'm sure that's very good for brain development in a pup.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 10-01-2012, 01:50 AM
Mainstreme Elitist

Thank you all so much! We've gotten the clicker charged so tomorrow we start with training. I'm going to try and just capture sit since it's offered so readily and then like everyone has suggested start with some target training/object training.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxy24 View Post
Of course! It's just easy to become dependent on luring and forget to really teach your dog how to experiment with/offer behaviors. I found that happened with Tucker, I had trouble shaping him because I have no patience, so used luring to "help" whenever things weren't going fast enough for my liking, and now he's not a good shaper (though it's being remedied). He waits for help instead of getting creative with behavior. Plus, shaping works the dog's brain a lot more, requires more thinking than following a treat around, and I'm sure that's very good for brain development in a pup.
Patience is what I'm worried about, I know it's so easy to get fast results with luring, but I really would like a dog that throws behaviors instead of waiting to be shown. However, I'm determined to try and shape/capture as much as I can. That and not having to fade a lure would be awesome.

My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet