Top Dog

Wow, that is scary!

Brit & Jackson

Old 09-28-2012, 10:55 AM
Resident fainting goat

That's sad
Old 09-29-2012, 02:14 AM
Blackout

There have been Bears here but I don't think we've had a run in with a Cougar (yet)....
All except when we happen to meet.

Stories, Poetry, and Musings
http://inugami1112.wordpress.com/

"And it's all been lost before, so there's nothing to lose..."

"There are those that love dogs insanely and those that don't. But once you like a dog, you're sunk. You're a dog person for life."

UKC Kuvasz Standard
AKC Kuvasz Standard
Old 09-29-2012, 02:19 AM
Taxiderpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Chrome View Post
Found out both are still on the loose.
Ahhh nuu!

It's unusual that there's a female. The way it was explained to me, it's usually young males moving into inhabited areas because the big old toms will tolerate as many females as their territory can possibly support. I wonder if this means the population's starting to get out of hand. The two they found in Discovery Park (downtown Seattle) were both young males.
Old 09-29-2012, 07:32 AM
Walks into Mordor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops2 View Post
too late in the year, cubs should be out w/ her learning the ropes
Agree. If she had cubs, they would be out trailing her and learning this time of year.

I live in an area populated with cougars and bears. Bears are protected, but cougars can be shot at any time. Sightings are rare, though. But to be honest, I don't know if it's because of hunting or because we have a ridiculous amount of empty land in this region and human settlements are very sparse.
Old 09-29-2012, 08:34 AM
Glutton for Crazy

Barbara, you sure love an exciting life! That's an excellent reason to not deal with the problem and demean another's story.

Courtney, any updates?

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:02 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romy View Post
Ahhh nuu!

It's unusual that there's a female. The way it was explained to me, it's usually young males moving into inhabited areas because the big old toms will tolerate as many females as their territory can possibly support. I wonder if this means the population's starting to get out of hand. The two they found in Discovery Park (downtown Seattle) were both young males.
relatively uncontrolled wolves are putting pressure on the cats & throwing off the existing territories.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:07 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Doberluv
also important to point out you live in a state where they are hunted. as i said before that has a way of making them avoid people in general.
From what I understand, there is no evidence to suggest that they are aware they're being hunted...that hunting them doesn't make them avoid people more. Typically, they do avoid people because they're shy. But there have been those times where they've attacked pets and humans. But it's so rare. Only about 10 fatal attacks on humans have been reported since the 1890's. But about half have been in the last 10 years or so. They do seem to be getting bolder as humans live closer to their territories. Both human and cougar populations are growing and so naturally, the odds go up.

They are hunted in this state, but no hounds are allowed to be used.

Quote:
too late in the year, cubs should be out w/ her learning the ropes
Well...cubs stay with their mother for a year...year and a half, sometimes even two years before they go make their own way, so she could have cubs with her.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by Doberluv; 09-29-2012 at 09:32 AM.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:38 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romy View Post
Ahhh nuu!

Part of that might be because females home ranges are vastly smaller in area than male territories. And males are very territorial while females are not. The males' territories will often over lap female home ranges. Males in neighboring territories are usually unrelated and they tend to want to avoid other territories, which keeps conflicts down. (of course, that doesn't always happen) These male territories can be very, very large and over-lap human habitat as well. That's why we're seeing more and more cougar attacks in just the last few years I suspect. But as far as humans being natural or typical prey, prey recognition is a learned behavior so typically humans aren't a part of their diet, as are deer, rodents and so forth.

This bit about their territories is why it's unsuccessful usually to re-locate them. The fish and game could plunk a cougar in the middle of another male cougar's territory unknowingly and cause a big ruckus between them. They will get very aggressive when one is in another's territory. So, the new comer might well leave and return to the area where it was caught. Relocating bears is also next to impossible...they can take them away miles and miles and they'll return to the same area every time.

I'll bet depending on where everyone lives, there have been cougars watching you when out on a hike or camping somewhere. I am quite certain that the places I use to hike in regularly had cougars around and aware of my presence. They just didn't go after me...luckily for me. lol.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 09-29-2012, 11:34 AM
Taxiderpy

Quote:
relatively uncontrolled wolves are putting pressure on the cats & throwing off the existing territories.
There aren't any wolves yet on this side of the mountains though. I think we only have 8 packs now? They're on the other side of the state, and Fish and Game just decimated the wedge pack last week thanks to one idiot rancher who refused to follow their protocol for grazing on public land (none of the other ranchers in the vicinity that followed their rules had any wolf related losses).