Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 09-27-2012, 08:40 PM
Top Dog

Default OMFG...NOT what you wanna see in your neighborhood!!

I woke up this morning to tons of texts on my phone from a friend. They had a cougar sighted 4 houses down from me. He was treed by their dogs. But he got away before Wildlife got there and the homeowners were told NOT to shoot it, if they did, they would be fined. He is STILL loose and not captured. Pretty freaking scary. We walked our property and the lower end has some cougar tracks on it. He was last seen very near my house so the tracks make sense. So far he has killed some goats,chickens and possibly other animals. Wildlife says he is HUGE. Obviously he has been eating well. If we see him we are supposed to call Wildlife.

The OldMan Hobie-CGC Rotten Old Dog 11/14/99-01/08/2013
Talulajhs RedChrome Kahpone-CGC TT BH TDI 10/31/04-06/07/10.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:48 PM
Top Dog

Holy cow! That IS scary. I hope they can capture him without killing, but if not, it's just to dangerous to have him lurking around where a lot of people are, especially kids. Although, apparently, humans aren't considered prey to cougars, they still attack people sometimes. Be safe and hope your dogs stay inside most of the time until he's caught. Let us know.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 09-27-2012, 08:49 PM
Top Dog

that was one of the things i liked about my neighborhood when we moved in, we geta lion here every couple years.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:52 PM
Felurian

Ditto on the dogs.

Beautiful though.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 09-27-2012, 08:56 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doberluv View Post
Holy cow! That IS scary. I hope they can capture him without killing, but if not, it's just to dangerous to have him lurking around where a lot of people are, especially kids. Although, apparently, humans aren't considered prey to cougars, they still attack people sometimes. Be safe and hope your dogs stay inside most of the time until he's caught. Let us know.
begining almost a year to the day after they banned hunting them, CA has averaged one human fatality a year. several of them have been fed on. that is AR nonsense saying a predator that regularly kills & eats 600-800# elk & 1200# horses isn't going to view a 200# or less biped as food. FEAR is the only rhing that changes that & being hunted is the only thing that inspires fear.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:56 PM
Top Dog

Apparently from what I have heard, he will be killed when caught, they are not re-locatable. It's a HUGE cougar.

My dogs will be in once it hits dusk and they will not be outside unattended until the cat is caught.
The OldMan Hobie-CGC Rotten Old Dog 11/14/99-01/08/2013
Talulajhs RedChrome Kahpone-CGC TT BH TDI 10/31/04-06/07/10.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:57 PM
Top Dog

red chrome
i wouldn't worry. any lion that jumps on one bulldog while they are all out together has pretty much signed his own death warrant.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:02 PM
Felurian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops2 View Post
begining almost a year to the day after they banned hunting them, CA has averaged one human fatality a year. several of them have been fed on. that is AR nonsense saying a predator that regularly kills & eats 600-800# elk & 1200# horses isn't going to view a 200# or less biped as food. FEAR is the only rhing that changes that & being hunted is the only thing that inspires fear.
That whole "top of the food chain" thing is just us being egotistical -- or naive

Quote:
red chrome
i wouldn't worry. any lion that jumps on one bulldog while they are all out together has pretty much signed his own death warrant.
Kinda depends on the bulldogs, doesn't it? Not all of them are going to be up for it once the cat's attacked, I wouldn't imagine.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 09-27-2012, 09:10 PM
Top Dog

nothing like a fight for survival to make the penny drop.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:12 PM
Top Dog

Quote:

Oh, it does happen, but attacks on humans is still very rare. Humans aren't typical prey. Most of their food is deer, elk, moose, mountain goats, raccoon, rabbits, rodents and such. I'm not saying they're not dangerous. There are those confrontations and deaths you hear about...very scary. They say to act VERY aggressively if you come face to face, don't take your eyes off it and make yourself look larger, don't give up or crouch down. Often they'll take off. Children shouldn't run...no one should run if they see one. What I've heard though is, that if one is going to attack you, you likely won't know it till it's on you. They're so quiet and quick.

I lived in a very wilderness area for ten years and even now, live not at all far from where cougars might be. I'm very close to lots of wilderness country. They're elusive and mostly the females hunt between dusk and dawn. But not always.

I use to hike every day in the middle of nowhere...in fact, lived in the middle of nowhere and I never saw one. There were signs though on trees occasionally and tracks. And they were seen once in a while. I just never saw one.

I'm mainly going off what the guys said from the fish and game dept which was just down the road from me.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson