Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 09-27-2012, 07:13 PM
Irritate with Caution!!

Default Anti Depressants.... Sleeping Pills.. Anyone been on them?

Without going into much, I was just off work for a month, I have been prescribed Paxil, 20mg, as well as lorazepam for "instant" use and trazodone 50mg for sleeping when needed...

The Internet is terrifying me, the opinions and sites range from that I'll end up jumping off a bridge, to a mindless zombie to I'll be fine...

I really can't and don't want to get into the details but if anyone's willing to share their experiences that'd be huge...

For someone whose never taken any kind of regular prescription medications this is a bit overwhelming...
Old 09-27-2012, 07:15 PM
Wookie Collie

Stop reading the Internet. You'll be fine.

Paxil worked really well for me when I was on it. Be aware that it doesn't work to it's full effect for up to four weeks. In those four weeks you may feel tingles or tiny "zaps" in your fingers sometimes, that's normal.

Lorazepam worked a little too well for me, knocked me clear out. :P But my anxiety was always the worst right before bed so it did wonders.

Finnegan - Border Collie | Barrett the ferret | Stan & Fiora - the cats
RIP - Fozzy 1993-2006 Palom 2008-2010 Ysera 2008-2011 Basol 2008-2012 Freya 2008-2014 Porom 2008-2014
Old 09-27-2012, 07:17 PM
Felurian

My mother was almost human when she was on Paxil.

Then she quit taking it because she "wasn't getting upset enough and everyone was getting out of control."

Everyone has different reactions to drugs. Just be aware of the possibilities and pay attention to how YOU feel

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
— Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 09-27-2012, 07:25 PM
Top Dog

I was on Paxil. It worked well for me. Don't panic. Internet medical advice sucks.

"Only when the last tree is cut, only when the last river is polluted, only when the last fish is caught, will they realize that you can’t eat money." –Native American proverb
Old 09-27-2012, 07:34 PM
Irritate with Caution!!

Thanks Allie, I know in my heart of hearts I should not overload myself reading online and trust my Dr, but some of these sites.. Wow....

Renee, my coping skills have gone to pot... I've been snapping easily and taking things out on those I am close too.... I have been on them a month and feel sooo much better, I just have heard so many negatives I started to worry (Ironic eh?)

Thanks Barbara, good to hear others have had good results!
Old 09-27-2012, 07:43 PM
Felurian

You should trust your doctor.

If -- IF your doctor has proven to be trustworthy!

(((((((HUGS))))))) Just keep moving with the stream. Paddle when you can see where you're going.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

— Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 09-27-2012, 07:46 PM
Irritate with Caution!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
You should trust your doctor.

If -- IF your doctor has proven to be trustworthy!

(((((((HUGS))))))) Just keep moving with the stream. Paddle when you can see where you're going.
He's never steered me wrong, and was amazing when work was trying to pressure me back early, he was flat out pissed and refused to release me back to work... In the end he was right, I am glad to be back now, but the time to let the pills kick in and recoup were just what I needed...
Old 09-27-2012, 07:49 PM
Felurian

That's what you need -- a doc who is also your advocate.

— Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 09-27-2012, 09:15 PM
Top Dog

Internet is bad.

Can you get a counselor to? Helps a lot.

People get so worked up about meds but if your dr said your hearts bad, take these pills, you would.

Sometimes you do need to play around with the meds and find the right combo or dose but this is a common one.

Some people will have reactions to everything(real or perceived)- don't listen. You are different and need to try it for you!

If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain
dogs I have known will go to heaven, and very, very few
persons -James Thurber

Last edited by joce; 09-27-2012 at 09:37 PM.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:28 PM
Irritate with Caution!!

I have been referred, but so far have not been able to make myself go..... I am not good at talking with people I don't know face to face.... I really should give it a try, but struggle with the idea...

I feel so much better now, it's like I've been trying to be strong, and bury my own emotions for so long, now I feel like I can focus on the important things and let the small crap fall aside, where before every little issue was starting to make me snap....

Siren has been amazing therapy in her own way, she's so in tune to me, and seems to know which behavior to offer, and when....