Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 01-09-2006, 07:41 PM
Top Dog

Actually backyard breeders are responsible for many different types of breeding and this includes Purebred dogs. Any thing for a $$$, and as long as people support them by purchasing them, then it's a situation we can't do much about.

Quote:
I've never really looked into this but considering all the damage breeding for show has done to breeds (ie. bulldog) I'm curious as to why you'd expect an unhealthy dog out of breeding two healthy dogs of different breed?

I'm not arguing for breeding crosses I'm just looking to be edjumacated.
Actually our purebred dogs were developed by crossbreeding programs. I personally feel that breed clubs should be outcrossing some breeds that have pathetically small gene pools. We could eliminate some genetic diseases with proper outcrossing programs if the breeder were doing it for the betterment of the breed and not just to make a quick buck.

There are many working dogs that are the result of continuous crossbreeding programs...for instance the Alaskan Husky which is not a purebred dog but just a cross of the fastest dog...most have a lot of border collie in them.
Old 01-09-2006, 09:10 PM
Top Dog

TroyF, here is an article on "The downside of inbreeding" which you may find interesting.
http://www.thepetprofessor.com/artic...le.aspx?id=293
Old 01-09-2006, 09:21 PM
Big German Shepherd

People keep getting the idea that if you cross dog breeds they will take the attributes of both dogs and form a super dog. This is not true.

If you get a labrador retriever and a guard dog, you don't have a guard dog that can retrieve. You have watered down traits of both dogs.

This is not a good idea as it would add to the pet over-population, unless you get one from a shelter.
Old 01-09-2006, 10:39 PM
Top Dog

Unless it's done the at least 5 generation way,, but by GOOD breeders, stay away from the mix breed unless it's from the Humane Society. Even within the stand with purebreds, things slip up. Just like when you have children.

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 01-10-2006, 10:50 AM
Puppy Dog

Athebeau, thanks. Interesting read. It's maddening that so many breeds are ruined and/or being ruined by elitist attitudes that a healthy dose of common sense and biology 11 would alleviate.