Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 09-26-2012, 09:34 AM
I'd rather be at Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
My other half is extremely fun, hilarious, and personable. He also is brilliant in many ways. He also had type1 diabetes which was diagnosed at 12. He spends his life monitoring his diet, stabbing himself with needles, burning from insulin injections, suffering from blood sugar fluctuations, and all of the other depressing symptoms of having a dead (essential) organ in your body.

The fact he can still be so clever, so strong, and so thankful for life makes him my hero.

I feel sorry for people who not only lack such amazing coping skills but also find the need to degrade those who have them.
Beautiful post

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 09-26-2012, 09:45 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
My other half is extremely fun, hilarious, and personable. He also is brilliant in many ways. He also had type1 diabetes which was diagnosed at 12. He spends his life monitoring his diet, stabbing himself with needles, burning from insulin injections, suffering from blood sugar fluctuations, and all of the other depressing symptoms of having a dead (essential) organ in your body.

The fact he can still be so clever, so strong, and so thankful for life makes him my hero.

I feel sorry for people who not only lack such amazing coping skills but also find the need to degrade those who have them.

Good example...well said.

Quote:
I love this!
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by eddieq; 09-26-2012 at 02:03 PM. Reason: fixed quote tag
Old 09-26-2012, 09:54 AM
Top Dog

I think most of us are misinterpreting what Stephy meant.

"Only when the last tree is cut, only when the last river is polluted, only when the last fish is caught, will they realize that you can’t eat money." –Native American proverb
Old 09-26-2012, 10:03 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paige View Post
I've never met a bimbo.
I've never met a bimbo I didn't like. Reminds me of a song by a often forgotten about song writer by the name of Al Bundy
Old 09-26-2012, 10:05 AM
I'd rather be at Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by release the hounds View Post
I've never met a bimbo I didn't like. Reminds me of a song by a often forgotten about song writer by the name of Al Bundy
LOL the first thing i always think of when I hear the word bimbo is kelly bundy

WHOOOOAAAA BUNDY!

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 09-26-2012, 10:05 AM
Chihuahua Power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara! View Post
I think most of us are misinterpreting what Stephy meant.
I don't see how it's being misinterpreted. Stephy said she has nothing against being content or life going well, but "happy happy happy" makes her cringe. If I'm ever "just content," I will certainly change things to be happy again!

This is the definition of the word "bimbo":

Quote:
derogatory. An attractive but empty-headed young woman, esp. one perceived as a willing sex object.
I don't understand how being happy and perky can be classified under a derogatory word.

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 09-26-2012, 10:21 AM
Taxiderpy

Word choice aside, I do see what Stephy is saying.

There are people I've met who, not through some amazing coping skill, but more of some kind of learned avoidance, completely and utterly dodge acknowledging any kind of negativity in the world.

It's not the cheerfulness itself that bothers me. Overall, I'm a pretty cheerful and content person. It's the "LA LA LA, I CAN'T SEE THAT" that's bothersome. Happy or not, some aspects of the world needs to be acknowledged, and totally ignoring its existence isn't particularly healthy.

Encouraging or not, people like to feel like their trials are being acknowledged rather than have them minimized by someone who who's like, "Fa la la, you should just be happy like me, because bad things don't exist an here's a peppy quote." Every. Single. Time.

Yes it's wonderful (and usually helpful) to be encouraging. Sometimes people don't want or need a pep talk. Sometimes it's not appropriate. Sometimes all people need is for someone to say, "hey man, I'm sorry you're going through such a tough time." And it is possible to be encouraging while still being sympathetic.

I do think it's good to be positive. I do think it's healthy to have a positive outlook. I don't think it's healthy for people to put their fingers in their ears and pretend sad things don't happen or exist. It might be a kind of coping skill, but it's not necessarily the healthiest, and I do understand how that can make someone look oblivious in either a deliberate or a "dumb" way. People are built to feel a range of emotions, and being unable or unwilling to get out of one extreme and feel the other doesn't strike me as healthy whether it's happy or sad.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:24 AM
Top Dog

"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 09-26-2012, 10:24 AM
Glutton for Crazy

I think it's presumptuous and ignorant to think we know what is going on in these "happy" people's minds.

You're happy so you A)can't cope or B) have never seen real troubles.

Am I missing something?

I should add what makes you think these people have no range? Maybe they don't feel so self centered they need to bring everyone else down with their issues? Maybe they are optimistic? Maybe they choose to internalize because that is how they cope?

Just because someone isn't like you doesn't make them any less intelligent nor in touch with their reality and or ability to cope.

Does it suck? Yep. Does my other half hate his condition? Yep. Does he feel like its important to dwell? Hell no, so many have it so worse, he can walk, he can play fetch with his dog, he can work, why not enjoy life?

Why dwell on the negative? Why not put a positive spin on things? The world needs more realistic optimism if you ask me.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:28 AM
Taxiderpy

Quote:
I think it's presumptuous and ignorant to think we know what is going on in these "happy" people's minds.

You're happy so you A)can't cope or B) have never seen real troubles.

Am I missing something?
Not sure if it's directed at me, but I'm not presuming to know anything about these people.

Just saying that I understand how that behavior can make others feel unacknowledged and minimized when they're struggling with difficult circumstances, and how that person can appear to be not so bright if it's the only behavior they offer regardless of the circumstances.

Then observing that if the reason they do it is because they're unable to acknowledge bad stuff for some reason, then no it isn't healthy. I have no idea if any of the individual people I know are like that. I'm not in their heads. Just saying, being stuck in one emotional position isn't healthy, whether you've got clinical depression or are in major denial.