Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 09-24-2012, 09:29 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
I find it interesting that whenever I'm at an AKC event with purebred people, they feel the need to classify Lucy as a specific breed. They want me to admit that she is part border collie, or part pointer, or part sheltie, or whatever their opinion is. It seems to frustrate a lot of breed people that I don't know what she is and won't immediately accept what they say as gospel.
Hahahaha! This!! People cannot accept my answer of "Zuma was found as a stray so I don't really know what she is". If I say she's a mix, they sit there and stare at me uncomfortably waiting for what type of mix. "Your guess is as good as mine" generally gets a few odd answers. Didn't you know she's a husky/chihuahua?

Taboo, Zuma, Mighty Mouse, Zinga, Edgar, Zip Tie
Old 09-24-2012, 09:54 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazwell View Post
Without asking what Fleetwood is, rottie people see him and start going on about their rotts or experiences with rotts. Dobe people start going on about their old dobes and such...
I have to admit, the first time I saw a Beauceron, I assumed it was a badly bred Rott pup. In my defense, tho, that was 20 years ago, and I had only seen them in books. When the owner told me what her puppy was, she was surprised I had heard of them. I just never expected to see one out in the boonies of NJ.

Years ago I had a guy insist Mick was an albino Lab. No matter how many times I told him, "No, he's a very light yellow Lab mix" and explained about dudley Labs, he kept saying, "No, he's an albino because he has a red nose."

Then there's Caleb. Yes, I've actually had people ask if he is a Lab. Hard to believe, isn't it? I understood when he was a little puppy- yellow Lab & Golden puppies can be hard to tell apart at times. It seems, tho, that around here, it's only a purebred Lab if it's 3 feet tall, 90+ pounds and has a huge head. The best, tho, was when we were at a town festival and a kid told me he had a Pitbull at home that looked exactly like mine.

ETA- when we had the Siberian/Husky mix we got the standard "OMG- a wolfdog!" reactions. Especially from kids at camp who were from the inner cities.

Last edited by MicksMom; 09-24-2012 at 10:14 AM.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:00 AM
Sport Model Pug

Izzie is a baby pit bull according to lots of folks despite that she's 4 and looks nothing like a pit bull. Or she must not be purebred as she's too tall and fit to be a Pug.

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Old 09-24-2012, 10:21 AM
Allons-y!

I really only had one guy (an older gentleman) who was really adamant about knowing better than me. He insisted that Cricket was a Saluki, and the only way I could exercise her was biking with her - nothing else was good enough. He was a nice guy so I just kind of went along with it.

Emily &:
Aurai Treasure Island - "Simon"
CH Aurai Defying Gravity CL1-R - "Newton"
MBIF CH Tova's Don't Stop Believin' of Aurai CL1-S CGC - "Journey"
BIF/BISS CH Tova's Cricket Song of Ardmoor Farms CL2 CGC - "Cricket"
Visit us on Facebook!
Old 09-24-2012, 11:19 AM
Top Dog

[QUOTE=Pops2;2069258]my biggest problems came from vet techs, shelter volunteers & rescue personell who all swore Jack was a pure "pit bull." when prompted to clarify they would say APBT. after a 30 min lecture on my history, pit bulldogs & matching and cur dogs, some of them would claim they were going to go look up catahoula on the computer.
Sonic has to be part wolf because only wolves can have yellow eyes.
asshats, i just don't get how people can wallow in ignorance and argue so vehemenantly on it's behalf.[/QUOTE]

lol no kidding.

I had Sprout in a pet store, kids see her want to pet the puppy. I told them she wasn't a puppy, she was over a year old, the father then corrects me. I told him, I've had her for over a year, she came from a friend's litter, I saw her for the first time when she was 12 hours old, she is also a reg'd dog. Nope I was shafted and lied to, that is a puppy......................I walk away, you can't argue with idiots that don't listen lmao.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:42 AM
Big Dog

A lot of people assume that Baxter is a poodle because his coat is curly. I had one lady tell me that the breeder had ripped me off because there's no such breed as a Bichon. He's also been labelled as a bunch of poodle mixes because apparently he's "too cute to be a purebred, he must be one of those cute mixes".

A lot of people have told me that Rocky must be a mix because he's too big for a Yorkie. According to one guy, "all purebred Yorkie's are under 3 lbs".
Old 09-24-2012, 12:50 PM
<--------Orson

Wow....some of your stories are just.......WOW.

Like all of you, I don't mind someone being mistaken but I don't expect you to argue about MY dog.

As I tell Orson.....LEAVE IT. LOL
Old 09-24-2012, 01:11 PM
Top Dog

I'm told often that Malyk, my Rhodesian Ridgeback, must be a Great Dane mix.

"Only when the last tree is cut, only when the last river is polluted, only when the last fish is caught, will they realize that you can’t eat money." –Native American proverb
Old 09-24-2012, 01:28 PM
Owned by Belgians

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwnedByBCs View Post
Or that Border Collies are really actually a mix of Collies and Shelties? They make them that in between size so that they can herd smaller cows.

Okay, this is the best one!

I really feel lucky now. When I tell people I have a Belgian Laekenois, they go "A belgian what?" And that's pretty much it.
Old 09-24-2012, 02:16 PM
Top Dog

People insist Charlotte is a boxer. lol.

"Ma'ii is always out there, waiting. And Ma'ii is always hungry." - Navajo proverb