Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 09-23-2012, 05:14 PM
<--------Orson

Default When a stranger knows your dog better than you...

We were away camping this weekend and during a walk around the grounds, this lady said "Oh, a rottweiler" while pointing to Orson. I smiled and said "He's a doberman" I'm used to the comment, he's the right colors and markings and John Q is not always the most dog wise.

But....She frowned and said "No, I'm pretty sure that's a rottweiler" I chuckled thinking it might be an attempt to joke about her mistake......but no, she was still frowing and serious. I replied "I am 100% sure he's NOT a rottweiler" I winked, walked on and didn't look back.

I know a lot of you guys have encountered people trying to tell YOU all about YOUR dog/breed....let's hear 'em!
Old 09-23-2012, 05:20 PM
Top Dog

When we were on the road in August, we stayed in St. Joseph. The morning we left to continue on, I stopped to get gas first and there were a DOZEN of biker guys hanging out and getting gas too. I typically mind my business, get gas, whatever, meanwhile Zane is sitting in the back oogling all these biker guys.

And I hear a, "Hey, [name here], Look! She's got a WOLF in dat car!" I hear a few whistles and yells of excitement from the rest of the group.

I roll my eyes to myself, and just gently call out a correction, "He's not a wolf." Go back to minding my own business. I'm used to comments like that, no biggie, most people generally go away or start an intelligent conversation by actually ASKING what he is.

This guy? Nope. He walks on over with that look on his face that says I'm an idiot because I look 15 years old and says, "Well, all dogs are wolves, when you get down to it."

I just smiled and said, "Sure, give or take a few thousand years."
He smiled back and said, "Yeah, a few thousand years." And walked away.

Jin, meanwhile, was LAUGHING his BUTT off. He re-told that story to anyone who would listen. And still does.

ETA: It's the best breed story we have so far. Although Macie's is pretty high up there, too.

She was maybe 6 months, dark brindle English Mastiff, and she was already the size of a decent lab. My mom was talking to our neighbor while Mae played with the grass. Neighbor says, "Isn't that the kind of dog that kills people?"

My mom and I just sorta look at each other, then my mom said, "No...she's a 6 month English Mastiff."

"No, I'm pretty sure that's the kind of dog that kills people." Neighbor walks away.
Old 09-23-2012, 05:28 PM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

In a large petstore 2-3 years ago.

"Look kids! Poodles!

"Sorry, they are american cocker spaniels. I just trim them as I please"

"No. They are obviously poodles. Kids that woman is a liar.

"Pardon? The black one has AKC papers, we've done conformation. They are cockers"

"Massive swear words about the evil lying nasty person I am" as she pulls off her brat pack of three kids 3-7 years old. Glad you drop the f bomb often in front of your kids telling strangers off...

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles

Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H SD-S (SP)
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground

Old 09-23-2012, 05:32 PM
such sights to show you

People tell me all the time what Pip is. And I have been assured on several occasions that Squash is a pit bull (um, a little big for that, don't you think?).

Old 09-23-2012, 05:36 PM
Taxiderpy

That's awful Lyzelle! Poor Macie.

Strider is a pony. Some lady (not an employee) at Petsmart flipped out at me for bringing a pony inside the store, because ya know, ponies aren't allowed.

She wouldn't even admit her mistake when I pulled back his lips to show her his canines. Maybe that means he's really a kelpie.
Old 09-23-2012, 05:52 PM
Top Dog

I am frequently called a liar about Elsie. Oh well.
Old 09-23-2012, 05:57 PM
Top Dog

Yeah apparently I live with wolves. And sometimes Lily is a coyote. People are so smart!

I actually had someone argue with me about Scout being a wolf once. This about a dog that looks nearly all GSD. Riiiiiight.
Old 09-23-2012, 06:02 PM
Show Dog

Once I was outside with the dogs and some kids down the street were walking by and then freaked out when the big bad "pit bull" started barking and when they said something along the lines of watch out for that pit bull I yelled over the fence he's a boxer and some girl was like "hell no I know a pit bull when I see one" and I just laughed and was like lady I'm the dogs owner I know what breed my dogs is. Not to mention the fact she couldn't actually see him because he was behind a 6ft privacy fence... and she goes "I don't know what you're looking at but I'm staring at a pit bull and then takes off with her friends"...
Old 09-23-2012, 06:21 PM
Top Dog

I had Tally in town one day, woman with a shorty, silky coated 'cough' um jrt says to me. What kind of dog is that? Me: A jrt. Woman: That is NOT a jrt!!!!, it is too tall and its legs are too long!!! Me: Yes, she is, a well bred one and a very good example of the breed standard. Woman: NO!!! that is not a jrt. Me: well her registration papers and the conformation championships she won last weekend in Rhode Island must be wrong.
She walked away still mumbling about how jrts are not registered and my dog wasn't one And yes prts were in AKC at the time, so that didn't count either lol.
Old 09-23-2012, 06:28 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Really i just fight that she's old

Most everybody gets that she has GSD in her, but its rather obvious

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13