Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 09-23-2012, 12:54 PM
Dafuq?

The most I usually get is people asking me to train their dogs next. To which I have to just laugh.

Now entering the land of hypnotic signatures...
Old 09-23-2012, 01:22 PM
Felurian

When I'm taking Tallulah for a walk and she sits at every street crossing. Sometimes people will stop and motion us across and I explain that I'm reinforcing NOT walking in front of cars.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
ó Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 09-23-2012, 01:23 PM
Top Dog

Not really. We don't work on anything but obedience at the park at this point, and lots of people do that around here.
We have a chain-link fence on the street side of our yard, though, so lots of people ask where I get all the agility equipment.
Old 09-23-2012, 01:36 PM
Mutts to you

Just got back from scootering at a park (sort of training, I guess - still working on building Riley's stamina and refreshing his direction commands). Usually get comments from folks walking their dogs and did have a couple stop while we were loading up the van to ask about training their dogs for scootering. Always happy to talk to people about dogs.

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but Iím not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. -Robert McCloskey
Old 09-23-2012, 02:07 PM
The Monster.

When I'm out training with Cohen I get a few people asking me how long it's taken me to teach her. Not teach her anything in particular... Just teach her. I've had her since she was 8 weeks old and I've been working with her since day one. Some of her tricks are old and some were taught literally 2 days ago, and just about everything is a work in progress. So I never know how to answer folks. I just try to emphasize that it's a long progress.

Cheynat's O' Lady Midnight CD RE ADC SGDC FDCh-S CGN HIC, Esq.
Megatron, Heat Vampire
Ci Da: Good Dog
Old 09-23-2012, 02:12 PM
Top Dog

I've got a couple. I've convinced myself that by the time Yoshi dies *hopefully a long time from now* she will be good on a leash. She's great off leash. Stays off roads, doesn't jump on people, stays close to me and follows instructions. Living out in the country when I took her somewhere I'd just have her off leash near me while we hiked or I fished. But when I take her to the city she isn't horrible but she pulls. And if she isn't pulling she's whining because she's on the leash.

I'm making slow progress with it but the neighbors ask me what I'm doing Every. Single. Time. They've seen me working with her every day this week and every day they ask what I'm doing.

Old 09-23-2012, 04:55 PM
Top Dog

Lots, yeah. People often ask if I'm a dog trainer, and if she's a service dog. Um, if she were, I'd be sad, since she just punched me in the eye for no reason at all.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:28 PM
treehugging clicker freak

With Bailey I get a lot of wow comments, but also "how did you teach her that?" Especially since I have been adding A LOT of distance to her emergency down... and practice lots of heeling, sending out to certain sides (for reibball) and RallyO stuff. As if I could come up with an answer that is going to be quick and easy...
I don't like the ones who stop and watch. I don't like being watched and I usually stop training and just play ball or something

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahamutt99 View Post
The most I usually get is people asking me to train their dogs next. To which I have to just laugh.
Oh man I get that a lot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red.Apricot View Post
Lots, yeah. People often ask if I'm a dog trainer, and if she's a service dog.
this too, especially with the heelwork and e-downs

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 09-23-2012, 10:03 PM
My dog tickles my soul

I haven't really gone OUT to train with Morgan for a while.

I will say, though, that when he was still really young I would take him to a park to practice on a long line, which I often had tied to my foot in order to have my hands free. Once, I had a police officer stop and watch me. I think he was about to give me a warning about having my dog off-leash, then realized what I was doing (Morgan was clearly under control), watched for a while, and then left again without a word.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:12 PM
Top Dog

On Friday, a friend and I went to the store I buy Buzz's ground raw from and I brought Bailey along. She really enjoys working when her brain is in the right place so she was giving me all kinds of fun things to reinforce. The lady at the register first asked how old she is (12.5) and hen asked if I just adopted her (no). She then asked if I'm always training, to which I replied, "yes!" I can only hope it's setting a good example!

Although, my favorite is when Bailey's particularly "into" heeling while we're out and about as she has a wonderful concept of heel and moves in all directions quite nicely. She particularly enjoys when I try to lose her moving backwards and to the right so we do that a lot and people just have NO idea how I taught the behavior. I just say it's heeling, which should be fluent in all directions!
Puzzle Piece Gabby RLV 8 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years