Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 09-22-2012, 10:23 PM
overdogged

Exactly that-- food is love. And a lot of the really fat dogs we see at work get lousy quality food as well, so allllllll those carbs don't help either.

I understand how dogs get fat. I don't understand how they get morbidly, life-threateningly obese.
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 09-22-2012, 10:49 PM
Top Dog

Poor pup

Crystal - Professional Family Sidekick as of 2009
Old 09-23-2012, 12:17 AM
orange iguanas.

There is seriously no way I could stand to look at my dog if she were that fat. There would be a major weight loss plan in place.

That poor dog's back must be taking a beating.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 09-23-2012, 12:24 AM
Mild and Slightly Nutty

Poor little dog

A gold brick wrapped with a twist of lemon...

Visit the Curly-tailed Brigade
http://curly-tailed.blogspot.com/
Old 09-23-2012, 03:28 AM
Show Dog

Maybe since they took it from their parents it will now go on a serious diet/exercise plan?

Poor baby
Old 09-23-2012, 05:54 AM
Sit! Good dog.

Urgh, I couldn't give her back.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 09-23-2012, 08:26 AM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron View Post
I see dogs like this all the time at work. Sometimes even worse Dogs so fat that just standing up causes them to pant heavily, their tails are permanently stuck to one side because of the rolls of fat on their butts, they can barely stand up for the duration of a bath. We have a Sheltie that weighs 70lbs, Goldens that hit 130. It is really, really sad for the dogs. So many of the people who's dogs look like that think they are spoiling them and showing how much they love them by giving them treats. One of the dogs gets hamburgers from McDonalds in a regular basis...and it isn't even a big dog. Sometimes the owners are in about as bad of shape as the dogs, which makes it rather...awkward to even try to say anything about getting the dog healthier. And yes, most already insist that they don't feed them that much at all...that they barely give them anything. Or that their dog is just big boned. Or thick haired. Had an obese Golden in the other day that the owner gets shaved to "make her look thinner".
Holy crap! I saw a 60 or 70 lb cocker spaniel not long ago. Was at the vet when they weighed a pug that was 37 lbs.

I'm so glad my dad finally listened to my advice about Beau's weight.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:54 AM
Are you dead yet?

See that bothers me so much. Sorry but if that was my dog I think I'd stop feeding almost entirely. If a dog isn't exercising, it needs to eat soooooo much less.

My own dog is porky right now because her body isn't being worked at all. I cut back on her daily food intake by half, and she acts starving and my boyfriend and his mom think I'm starving her, but she's still porky and I'm not going to up her food intake because she drools by the dog food bag. I give her rec bones and play toys instead. She's still alive and thriving with less food.

People humanize dogs way, way too much when it comes to food.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:52 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD View Post
See that bothers me so much. Sorry but if that was my dog I think I'd stop feeding almost entirely. If a dog isn't exercising, it needs to eat soooooo much less.

My own dog is porky right now because her body isn't being worked at all. I cut back on her daily food intake by half, and she acts starving and my boyfriend and his mom think I'm starving her, but she's still porky and I'm not going to up her food intake because she drools by the dog food bag. I give her rec bones and play toys instead. She's still alive and thriving with less food.

People humanize dogs way, way too much when it comes to food.
Kinda have the same problem with Roman, people think acting hungry=needing food. As we all know this is not the case at alll.

Overfeeding yourself is understandable. Overfeeding your child or dog? I just don't get it. If watching it eat gives you so much joy, give it many smaller meals, use its kibble ration as a treat... otherwise just cut the poor thing's food intake! That poor dog's spine is supporting like 2.5 dachshounds, simply breathing and pumping blood must be torturous on its organs... very sad.
Old 09-23-2012, 11:10 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
Holy crap! I saw a 60 or 70 lb cocker spaniel not long ago. Was at the vet when they weighed a pug that was 37 lbs.

I'm so glad my dad finally listened to my advice about Beau's weight.
Yeah it's a serious problem when it takes two people to lift a Sheltie into the tub. We have some others that are crazy fat too but the Sheltie always stands out. He's a little oversized height wise but definitely not taller than Savvy. Any discussion with his owner over concern for his health results in her getting upset and saying the only way she knows to show him love is to give him his favorite food.