Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 09-23-2012, 06:02 PM
Top Dog

I agree you shouldn't feel in a rush with a young dog. However, I don't agree that people who have young dogs doing well for them are pushing their dogs too much, not letting their dog "be a dog" or that their dog is a tool to boost their ego.
Old 09-23-2012, 06:07 PM
Top Dog

I put a lot of stress on my previous puppies, trying to make them perfect from day one. So I've completely abandoned my old "puppy training itinary".

Next pup, I probably won't be so concerned with much of anything. Just taking it one day at a time, lots of play, happiness, trust, and minor corrections on basic-level behaviors, like mouthing or potty training. Then maybe work into praising offered behaviors. Just have fun, no stress, no perfection, no "schedules" about how this pup needs to know how to do a down stay within 2 weeks and such and such crap.
Old 09-23-2012, 06:29 PM
Like a bat outa' hell

Well Socializing is so very important to me.If ma'ma is preggers and puppy works out. We will have a pup for this winter we mainly will be focusing on socializing and recall, walking nice on a leash. Sit, down, stay. Lots of play, control. I really want to try and create a nice toy drive and play drive. But my number 1 will be socializing and with it being winter we will be spending lots of time up on the ski hill and in town where there are tons on transit people and I am sure they can't resist a puppy.

Also, we will be taking some puppy socializing classes and hopefully some clicker and basic obediance classes.

But honestly we will be socilaizing from day one.

Teagan Westhighland White Terrier
Panzer South African Boerboel Mastiff
Old 09-23-2012, 06:50 PM
Resident fainting goat

Don't train your puppy and you're a lazy dog owner .
Train your puppy and your a stress-inducing ego boosting control freak.

There's no winning it seems lol I say, all in moderation.. there really is no WRONG way to raise your puppy as long as you both are happy and healthy.

I am a planner. It's what I do. Lists calm me.. so I do enjoy having a list of things to tick off and working a bit every day..
it doesn't mean I am going to use my puppy to boost my ego or stress him/her out.. training is supposed to be fun
Old 09-23-2012, 10:29 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran101 View Post
Don't train your puppy and you're a lazy dog owner .
Train your puppy and your a stress-inducing ego boosting control freak.

There's no winning it seems lol I say, all in moderation.. there really is no WRONG way to raise your puppy as long as you both are happy and healthy.

I am a planner. It's what I do. Lists calm me.. so I do enjoy having a list of things to tick off and working a bit every day..
it doesn't mean I am going to use my puppy to boost my ego or stress him/her out.. training is supposed to be fun
Agreed. l am a planner too, lol I must be soooooooooo bad. Saving now, and told everyone I wanted money for x-mas. Why? Plan on going to SG's puppy camp (praying I have a puppy to take).