Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 09-22-2012, 08:12 PM
Top Dog

thanks Fran!

Peco,
Male Lacy Game Dog
June 2003 - Feb. 2012

Hudson,
Male black & white English Shepherd
August 27th 2012

Blog - http://thedogreviews.blogspot.com/
Old 09-22-2012, 09:22 PM
Top Dog

Well starting day one, they pretty much go every where possible with me. I brought Savvy home on Wednesday evening and Thursday morning he was at work with me

Savvy's First Day on the Job

Behavior wise, I don't have a set list of things to teach and in what order. I do some shaping, some luring, some capturing. I work on different things depending on what the puppies seems to need the most. They all do flirt pole stuff, impulse control stuff, crate games type things, basic behaviors like sit/down, I work on recalls to start with by just doing a lot of chasing games. And of course, they all learn tricks!

If you're looking for a set outline of what to teach and in what order, Sue Ailsby's Levels are really good: http://www.sue-eh.ca/
Old 09-22-2012, 10:35 PM
Dafuq?

With little puppies, I spend the most time with socialization, walking on leash, handling body parts, bite inhibition (as needed), crating up, learning their name, and some basic house manners. I don't worry too much about specific commands right off the bat. When we do start working commands, I teach my show puppies stand/stay first. Then down, wait, recall, etc.

Now entering the land of hypnotic signatures...
Old 09-22-2012, 10:36 PM
overdogged

Bean's a complete heathen.

My focus has been on ball playing and tugging enthusiastically in all kinds of environments, recalls, the ability to think around toys, some heelwork, sit/down/stand, a little bit of work on stays, puppy zen, perch work, and hand targeting.
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 09-22-2012, 11:17 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Sit down and stay were some of the first things I worked on with Pay. Also lots of self control.
Beyond that, uh... well, my friend got a puppy like two weeks before I got Pay, and today at the agility trial his puppy is already running in excellent. Pay can, um, do six weave poles? I'm obviously a failure at having a puppy.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie OA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 09-23-2012, 07:17 AM
overdogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
Beyond that, uh... well, my friend got a puppy like two weeks before I got Pay, and today at the agility trial his puppy is already running in excellent. Pay can, um, do six weave poles? I'm obviously a failure at having a puppy.
Eh, I don't see the need to rush.

Of course, Steve will be four in a couple weeks and I haven't managed to trial with him yet LOL
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 09-23-2012, 12:45 PM
Top Dog

The very first things I teach a young puppy are that it's super fun and safe to hang out with me, to play with me and with others, and how cool the outside world is. The other stuff just sort of takes shape as we go.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 09-23-2012, 01:59 PM
Dafuq?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegy View Post
Eh, I don't see the need to rush.

Of course, Steve will be four in a couple weeks and I haven't managed to trial with him yet LOL
This. No point in rushing. That's a great way to burn out a dog, IMO. Some well-known people in my breed are out there really plowing through the titles with young dogs who are not even mature yet. They are very good at holding people in thrall with their accomplishments, but a lot of the older folks are just like "eh," because they know that dogs need time to just be dogs. Not tools or ego-boosters.

Now entering the land of hypnotic signatures...
Old 09-23-2012, 02:42 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahamutt99 View Post
This. No point in rushing. That's a great way to burn out a dog, IMO. Some well-known people in my breed are out there really plowing through the titles with young dogs who are not even mature yet. They are very good at holding people in thrall with their accomplishments, but a lot of the older folks are just like "eh," because they know that dogs need time to just be dogs. Not tools or ego-boosters.

I struggle with this. But we will title when we are ready and not a day before that! LoLa has her first trial coming up but we are doing it for ring experience, I'll be lucky if she doesn't get a fit of the zoomies. lol lol
The OldMan Hobie-CGC Rotten Old Dog 11/14/99-01/08/2013
Talulajhs RedChrome Kahpone-CGC TT BH TDI 10/31/04-06/07/10.
Old 09-23-2012, 03:03 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
Sit down and stay were some of the first things I worked on with Pay. Also lots of self control.
I agree with the others, you can't compare your dog or yourself to anyone else. Hell Who's littermate started competing in agility at 18 months of age, earned his ATChC in 7 months, qualified twice so far for Nationals and took 6 th Overall at the AAC Nationals in a tough division all before he turned 3 lol. Who and I have been seriously sidetracked because of her teeter issue
I'll get there with Who, just taking a longer path.

You'll get there too, sometimes the best journeys are the longest ones

btw, I know someone that struggled with their dog for 5 yrs, then everything came together and they rocked it large and won a ton. They turned out to be the 'ones to beat'