Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 09-22-2012, 09:47 PM
Top Dog

When Cole has had a seizure at school, they call me. If I called 911 every time he was having a seizure, I'd feel like I was abusing the system.

At his school, we have a very detailed seizure plan in place, and everyone who comes into contact with him knows his trigger (right now it's just lack of sleep/being fatigued) and Pre-seizure behaviors. They call me immediately even if they just think he's having one and don't know for sure.

Down here, you can arrive by ambulance all you want, but you'll get dumped in the ER alongside everyone else. When Carson had the skull fracture and major concussion, we arrived via ambulance....and we're deposited in the pediatric ER with all the ear infections and sniffles. It wasn't until I was voicing my complaints and he started vomiting everywhere with his eyes rolling back in his head (not a seizure) that we were pushed to the head of the line.

As for this school, Renee said exactly my first thoughts: they're damned if they do, damned if they don't.

And what is this school's policy? Did the parents choose to have them be called first? I know, at Cole's school, you dictate what order you want things done (although they say they will call 911 first in the event of an extreme emergency).

Oh, and Carson's EMS ambulance bill was $768. Not exactly chump change.
Old 09-22-2012, 09:50 PM
Top Dog

Sorry for the typos. I don't feel like editing.

Bogart, where are you again? You can pm me if you prefer.
Old 09-22-2012, 09:52 PM
Member of WHODAT Nation.

Yeah Caleb was stuck in a class with children learning way way below his level. Like some had some major physical and mental problems. Wonderful teachers and kids just he was not learning and needed more. But because of the severity and the med he was in kindergarten class of 5 and he was the only one whom could talk with 1 teacher and 1 aide. So when I found out he was just playing computer games all day it was powwow time to figure something out.
Old 09-22-2012, 09:53 PM
We are Home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miakoda View Post
When Cole has had a seizure at school, they call me. If I called 911 every time he was having a seizure, I'd feel like I was abusing the system.

At his school, we have a very detailed seizure plan in place, and everyone who comes into contact with him knows his trigger (right now it's just lack of sleep/being fatigued) and Pre-seizure behaviors. They call me immediately even if they just think he's having one and don't know for sure.

Down here, you can arrive by ambulance all you want, but you'll get dumped in the ER alongside everyone else. When Carson had the skull fracture and major concussion, we arrived via ambulance....and we're deposited in the pediatric ER with all the ear infections and sniffles. It wasn't until I was voicing my complaints and he started vomiting everywhere with his eyes rolling back in his head (not a seizure) that we were pushed to the head of the line.

As for this school, Renee said exactly my first thoughts: they're damned if they do, damned if they don't.

And what is this school's policy? Did the parents choose to have them be called first? I know, at Cole's school, you dictate what order you want things done (although they say they will call 911 first in the event of an extreme emergency).

Oh, and Carson's EMS ambulance bill was $768. Not exactly chump change.
Here it gets you in immediatly. Morgan had a 104 degree fever and was listless and they made us wait until they opened another area up (15-20 minutes after already waiting about that long with a empty ER) to take him back. Another time we were sitting there when he had a fever that high and we didnt go back until he had a seizure in my arms. Brought in by ambulance even if its nothing "serious" you get front of the line.

Advice, most needed, is least heeded- Fortune Cookie

Old 09-22-2012, 09:59 PM
Member of WHODAT Nation.

We have a seizure plan also . I am in Jefferson parish . River Ridge and the school board in this parish is a doozy sometimes. But. With calebs plan his doc would only budge on not having diastat on start of seizure is if i t lett an ambulance take him in ,due to his not stopping on there own. Otherwise the school would have to do the nurse shuffle and a year of that was enough .
Old 09-22-2012, 10:04 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

When my son broke his arm skiing with boy scouts they brought him home to me at about 1 in the morning. He said he was too tired to care and I thought then surely he just hurt it, because he went to bed and if it was broken surely he woudln't be going to bed. THe one time I DIDNT take him immediately to the hospital just to make sure. It was broken, we were there first thing when he woke up. So maybe they didn't know either, Aaron's was broken 2 inches below the growth plate and it didn't look like you would think a broken arm would look. He spent the next 8 weeks with it strapped to his body because they don't put a cast on when it is that high up, the use your torso to splint it until it heals.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 09-22-2012, 10:12 PM
Member of WHODAT Nation.

Not here either . It goes by severity. I have busted in screaming for them to call the neuro on call and shooting off his vitals and them swarming to tend him. But i am a big girl running in pushing a seizing kid so yeah . I have waited in the waiting room for pnoumonia/chopped off finger tip/whoooping cough other things , but the do go by severity of injury .but now if Caleb is seizing we snatch him up and run. No ambulance needed. Again that is just because of his severity

Now how about routes taken to hospital. I was in the back watching him seize and the **** thing stops because of a train . We sit for 10 minutes and i agrue that we need to go a diffrent way but they kept saying company policy to follow the gps. Which took us out of the way and the train held us up.