Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 09-22-2012, 08:05 PM
Obey the Toad.

If it was not something life or death I'd prefer the school call me first, then I could decide whether to pick the kid up or have them call an ambulance. We live pretty close to a hospital and an elementary school, so it's likely I would be faster for me to go to the school and pick them up anyway.

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 09-22-2012, 08:07 PM
We are Home.

WTF that seems unsafe. (Bogart)

Advice, most needed, is least heeded- Fortune Cookie

Old 09-22-2012, 08:12 PM
Top Dog

I grew up with school nurses being the norm. But I can hardly find any schools, especially southern, that have school nurses these days.

I'm not sure about broken bones, but most of the smaller concerns when we were kids were dealt with by the school nurse. Parents usually weren't called unless it DID require an immediate hospital visit. But all our daily medications, lice checks, hearing tests, general complaints, etc, were all dealt with by the school nurse.

I think I remember one kid having broken an arm or something in a similar incident, but their parents came and took them to the hospital. But, I grew up in the rural areas of Illinois and Indiana...so some of the schools were county, and the hospitals weren't necessarily anywhere near the school or homes of the kids.
Old 09-22-2012, 08:19 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

I actually don't recall having a school nurse beyond "you need a bandaid... Here you go" and really not one at all in highschool amd they weren't really qualified for anything REALLY medical. Just who you saw if you needed tylenol

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 09-22-2012, 08:21 PM
We are Home.

Connors school had one. She administered his Albuterol and anything else needed for his asthma. When he was on Vyvanse the nurse at his school gave it to him. I cant imagine a kid having a asthma attack and the school not having a nurse.

Old 09-22-2012, 08:26 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

In HS when I had my attack and was eventually transferred to hospital no jurse attended to me. I just sat in the office while they boiled water for me to breathe in the steam until they eventually called the ambulance

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 09-22-2012, 08:28 PM
We are Home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks19 View Post
In HS when I had my attack and was eventually transferred to hospital no jurse attended to me. I just sat in the office while they boiled water for me to breathe in the steam until they eventually called the ambulance
ummm yeah NO. especially when connor was having a couple attacks a week at first because he got it after he developed pnemonia.

Old 09-22-2012, 08:42 PM
Member of WHODAT Nation.

Yeah. Now in the highschools they have a medical center ran by the , well I think the state I am not sure. But they have a staff that with a doc and nurse but in order to use it the parent has to give insurance info or Medicaid info and sign hippa law forms and all that. It is a new program this last couple years.

Now for other kids with asthema and the like the kids parents sign medical forms for the school board and the inhalers or meds where given by a secretary , unless they where a narcotic of some kind then they had to have a nurse and be in certain schools. Totally frustrating dealing with the special ed department with the schoolboard requirements. The kicker is I have no alternative . I do not have the skills to teach him and the private schools special ed classes are nonexistant. So we all compromise .

For the most part it works due to the budget constraints I wish we could afford as a community more teachers to go around but that is another thread all together.
Old 09-22-2012, 08:42 PM
Member of WHODAT Nation.

O.o sorry for the ramble LOL
Old 09-22-2012, 08:44 PM
We are Home.

yeah Vyvanse is a narcotic I cant belive they would have to send him to a special school just for that. Those poor teachers with all those kids LOL. We took him off of it though so we didnt have issues