Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 09-22-2012, 02:33 PM
Top Dog

I think at my elementary school, the parents had to sign a form saying that if there was a medical emergency (including broken arms) steps XYZ would be followed; and it outlined whether they'd be called before 911 or what. You'd think most schools would do that.
Old 09-22-2012, 02:36 PM
Love My Mutt <3

We literally walked out of our house and crossed the street to get to school. There would have been np calling around for hours, it would have taken 2 minutes from the start of the phone call to my parents getting to the office, if that xD

ETA: also, I'm not sure if any of you have tried to actually call an ambulance for something like a broken arm, but it pretty much gets put as lowest priority, and a lot of times, parents can get there and get their child to the hospital much quicker than an ambulance would, depending what else is going on in the city.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 09-22-2012, 02:45 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red.Apricot View Post
I think at my elementary school, the parents had to sign a form saying that if there was a medical emergency (including broken arms) steps XYZ would be followed; and it outlined whether they'd be called before 911 or what. You'd think most schools would do that.
Yeah I would think most schools would have a form or waiver of that sort.
Old 09-22-2012, 02:50 PM
Just try me..

Parents could be at work, in a car etc. Just because some parents can do it faster doesnt mean all can. That is why I said I want to know how long they try to get ahold of the parent before they say "ok call an abulance" Sure if you call and the parent will be there quickly... then sure.

But if its a bad break, I would still want an abulance.
Old 09-22-2012, 02:54 PM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLough View Post
We literally walked out of our house and crossed the street to get to school. There would have been np calling around for hours, it would have taken 2 minutes from the start of the phone call to my parents getting to the office, if that xD
Just because yours could, doesn't mean it should be the protocol for everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLough View Post
ETA: also, I'm not sure if any of you have tried to actually call an ambulance for something like a broken arm, but it pretty much gets put as lowest priority, and a lot of times, parents can get there and get their child to the hospital much quicker than an ambulance would, depending what else is going on in the city.
As a paramedic.. not true. Unless there is a run on MIs at that moment a child with a broken arm with a visible deformity wouldn't be a 'lowest priority'. Perhaps you are not aware how serious that child's broken arm could be if they don't get help in a timely fashion. A fracture with nothing to see and the need for an x-ray.. yes lower priority, less of an issue to sit around. This, not so much. Possible internal bleeding, nerve damage, damage that is not fixable to growth plates. It really is an emergency that would not get put on the back burner as you have stated.

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles

Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H SD-S (SP)
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground

Old 09-22-2012, 02:59 PM
Top Dog

I see nothing wrong with calling the parents first but putting off medical attention indefinitely when the kid's arm is bend at an angle is asinine.
Old 09-22-2012, 03:38 PM
Top Dog

I would prefer that I be called first to come pick him up. If I was unable to be reached after the first call, then an ambulance would be fine.
Old 09-22-2012, 04:09 PM
Member of WHODAT Nation.

with my epileptic son the first call is the ambulance and the second is to us.

his seizures are a diffrent animal though compared to a broken arm.

policy here is call the parents then call 911 for a medical emergency. it is clearly stated in a policy and procedure book given to every parent at the begining of each school year . each kid has to have the first page torn out signed and returned saying they have read the policys and will abide them. covers everything from uniform , to discipline and emergencies to absences.
Old 09-22-2012, 05:09 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MafiaPrincess View Post
Just because yours could, doesn't mean it should be the protocol for everyone.

As a paramedic.. not true. Unless there is a run on MIs at that moment a child with a broken arm with a visible deformity wouldn't be a 'lowest priority'. Perhaps you are not aware how serious that child's broken arm could be if they don't get help in a timely fashion. A fracture with nothing to see and the need for an x-ray.. yes lower priority, less of an issue to sit around. This, not so much. Possible internal bleeding, nerve damage, damage that is not fixable to growth plates. It really is an emergency that would not get put on the back burner as you have stated.
I wasn't talking about this case, in particular, more as a general (which, apparently my edit to my first post on my phone didn't actually post. On the phone, I couldn't click the link, and couldn't see the quote). Hence my posts being "If I broke my arm...", "my parents...", etc.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 09-22-2012, 05:20 PM
We are Home.

If my kid has a multiple break they are going in a ambulance. Faster and they can do something for the pain ASAP. Even with a EMT husband that could effectivly make sure the travel didnt mess up the arm we would still call a ambulance. You also get seen IN the er faster if you come in by ambulance.

Advice, most needed, is least heeded- Fortune Cookie